LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Feeling stressed

Platinum Member
    Need context for how much of a switch it is. Are you going from Pre-med to medieval basketweaving?

No matter what it is, own it.

If you don't want your sister to let the rents know of your decisions, then don't confide in her.

And seriously? No physical altercations with anyone over anything like this.

And, I agree with others, get a job in an essential industry even if you are still in college.

I worked a full-time job while in school. Did it stretch out the time in school? Yup. Did it make me miss a lot of the fun stuff in college? You bet.

So what, i got the degree. Nobody was paying my way, no parents to meddle in what major to earn a degree in.

Now is the time for you to focus on your future and not indulge in rages against your sister.

Please, I think my grandma would tell you to grow up.

Originally Posted by jimthzz
    Need context for how much of a switch it is. Are you going from Pre-med to medieval basketweaving?
    Haaah! That may actually be more practical than anyone might have imagined a month ago. Sell the baskets online and stay safe.

You can't change your sister and who she is, but you can change how you respond to her. There is no rule that you have to be pals. Meaning that you can be simply civil and more arm's length. Polite rather than close. If that will serve to establish some balance and sanity, do it. If she is trying to get under your skin and provoke you, think grey rock. You simply do not react and give her the satisfaction of getting provoked into something. Easier said than done, but with some practice, you can become very very good at it and it's a skill that will serve you well in life at large, especially when it comes to work - crazy bosses, co-workers, clients.

As for your major - your life, your choice. You have to do what you think is best for you. Nobody else's opinion matters here as you are the only one who'll live with the consequences of your decisions. If you need to switch, just do it and don't drag your feet because the longer you wait the more it costs. Speaking of costs, now is a good time to figure out a financial plan for yourself - look up any grants you might qualify for, scholarships, or even loans if you must. There are also part time jobs as well. Not going to tell you to jump into something that might put you at risk of catching a virus and dying, but understand that the virus situation is temporary and what you have now is time on your hands to start putting together a financial plan for your education that doesn't burden your parents.

Also, give some credit to your parents for being rational people. If what you want to switch to is much more financially stable and practical, they'll likely be supportive of you, especially if you also take some financial burden of the switch onto your own shoulders and present them with a clear plan. Treat them as the adults they are rather than hiding like a kid who is doing something wrong. You aren't doing anything wrong and you have to learn to develop a more adult relationship with your parents where you discuss these kinds of things like adults - pros, cons, costs, mitigation, etc.

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by catfeeder
    Haaah! That may actually be more practical than anyone might have imagined a month ago. Sell the baskets online and stay safe.
    You're right! Liberal Arts can save us all!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Give Advice
Ask For Advice