My husband and her sister physical involvement

Hi,

I apologise in advance for being blunt in this post but this issue is affecting me a lot and I need some guidance. Its been 6 month of my marriage and I am not happy with the way my husband (30yrs) and her younger sister (23yrs) behave. I read about sibling kissing eachother on multiple islamic websites and found out its okay to give peck on cheek to mehram. But is it okay for a 23yr old girl to kiss her brother on cheeks, neck, hands, legs (including touching his body frequently, and its a two way, my husband is equally involved) not just once in a while but daily multiple times in a day.

Initially I ignored it thinking maybe my family is strict and siblings may act this way depending on their upbringing and environment. But as days passing, I am realising my husband spend most of his time with her sister, not me (since corona lockdown) and whenever i pass by, I see them either kissing or cuddling each other.

These are concerns that should have been addressed before marriage. How come you didn't notice it before marriage?

It does sound too much and imo most people would feel uncomfortable witnessing it. Isn't his sister married? How old is she?

Clio- Yes, we did notice it aftr engagement. Infact we had a family discussion too and my mumma actually pointed out about their physical closeness. But we thought maybe they are little open minded family and hugging your sibling occasionally is fine. We ignored it then but now, after marriage seeing it every day is painful.

She is 23 right now, unmarried. Its a joint family

No, i dont support dowry system. Overall his family is good. I am only uncertain about his closeness with his sister.

Are you sure they are actually brother and sister? Did you have a very large dowry? This all could be financially motivated.

I live in a 99% Muslim country (Turkey) - though it is laicist, you can find very religious people just like you can find atheists here. My country's practice of Islam may be a bit relaxed in comparison to other Muslim countries but I have never seen or heard anything like this in Islam. I'm not religious myself and certainly not an expert in Islam but ask any Muslim person, I bet they would say this is completely inappropriate. Islam does not prohibit kissing, it does prohibit any and every contact with an "unnatural" desire between siblings. In that regard, it is no different from other Abrahamic religions. And this indeed gives you the right to question the nature of so much touching and all. Also, from what I know, in cultures in touch with Islam, it is not common for adult men to kiss their adult sisters that much if at all- kissing on the forehead maybe to console someone. Kissing someone on the cheek is as friendly as it goes. I believe a Muslim woman would feel exactly what you are feeling.

Archived