Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 42

Thread: Ex is ready to date

  1. #31
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    86
    Originally Posted by DancingFool
    Can you just accept the idea that people can simply change their mind?

    The other part that you can't seem to grasp is that this is what lack of mental health looks like - one day you are the best thing that ever happened and the next day you are trash. Flip. Just like that.

    Talking about all the plans you had....honestly....plans are just fantasies until you and your SO put in the dirty hard work to make it a reality. Talking about that stuff can be intoxicating, exciting, I get that. However, at some point you have to realize that it's just talk and only the future will tell whether it ever turns to reality or not. Don't get lost in fantasy land of could'a should'a would'a. It's not good for you and your own mental health. Always take that kind of talk with a grain of salt.
    Thanks, I really appreciate your input as it definitely helps.
    I think that in text it is hard to truly explain it all quite how it was. At the start of the relationship she literally wouldn't stop asking if I wanted kids with her etc. I found that very intense and simply mentioned how I hadn't even given it a thought.
    Over time I warmed to the idea and could see it being what I wanted too. I told her this and obviously we are where we are now!

    With the mental health flipping from one thing to another. I totally get that. I witnessed first hand her anxiety attacks, her extreme ocd and her negative thoughts and I saw the happy, loving, caring person too.
    The person I fell in love with went through all this consistently and I was happy to be by her side to help when she wanted it and leave her alone when she needed time for herself. It was this support and approach that both her and her family loved as previous partners hadn't been so understanding (from what her parents told me)
    I'm sorry I appear stuck in this rut but with how close we were I can't quite understand why it all happened. There seemed to be no reason other than when she said "I feel no spark" which only appears after the passing of the nan and the job loss.

  2. #32
    Platinum Member DancingFool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Wilds of Texas
    Posts
    10,666
    Gender
    Female
    Originally Posted by Rb1980
    Thanks, I really appreciate your input as it definitely helps.
    I think that in text it is hard to truly explain it all quite how it was. At the start of the relationship she literally wouldn't stop asking if I wanted kids with her etc. I found that very intense and simply mentioned how I hadn't even given it a thought.
    Over time I warmed to the idea and could see it being what I wanted too. I told her this and obviously we are where we are now!

    With the mental health flipping from one thing to another. I totally get that. I witnessed first hand her anxiety attacks, her extreme ocd and her negative thoughts and I saw the happy, loving, caring person too.
    The person I fell in love with went through all this consistently and I was happy to be by her side to help when she wanted it and leave her alone when she needed time for herself. It was this support and approach that both her and her family loved as previous partners hadn't been so understanding (from what her parents told me)
    I'm sorry I appear stuck in this rut but with how close we were I can't quite understand why it all happened. There seemed to be no reason other than when she said "I feel no spark" which only appears after the passing of the nan and the job loss.
    Sane people don't do what's in bold. That was a huge red flag that I really hope you heed going forward.

    As for the rest, to be brutally blunt - this was never a balanced relationship but that lack of balance stroked your ego. It put you in this white knight role - saving the damsel in distress, being understanding like nobody else (total bs, btw) but you bought it wholesale because you wanted to. It made you feel important and special and that was intoxicating and getting over that.....is like kicking an addiction. It's going to be hard and what you are going through is pretty much withdrawal. This is also what you need to examine within yourself - people who are in a healthy place emotionally, don't see that kind of an unbalanced set up, intensity, etc. as good things, but rather see if for what it is - not healthy, not good, something to keep away from. You are like a moth to a flame - the hotter it burns the better, but as you are learning, you'll just get burned to a crisp. Sort out what attracts you to this.

  3. #33
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    86
    Originally Posted by DancingFool
    Sane people don't do what's in bold. That was a huge red flag that I really hope you heed going forward.

    As for the rest, to be brutally blunt - this was never a balanced relationship but that lack of balance stroked your ego. It put you in this white knight role - saving the damsel in distress, being understanding like nobody else (total bs, btw) but you bought it wholesale because you wanted to. It made you feel important and special and that was intoxicating and getting over that.....is like kicking an addiction. It's going to be hard and what you are going through is pretty much withdrawal. This is also what you need to examine within yourself - people who are in a healthy place emotionally, don't see that kind of an unbalanced set up, intensity, etc. as good things, but rather see if for what it is - not healthy, not good, something to keep away from. You are like a moth to a flame - the hotter it burns the better, but as you are learning, you'll just get burned to a crisp. Sort out what attracts you to this.
    Oh I think it was fairly balanced. Most of the time we were just the same as any other couple. She didn't always have these "episodes" and for the most part we were getting on fine and had a very loving, mutual relationship. As I say it only seemed to appear difficult and where I started to develop the white Knight role when the two life events took place.

  4. #34
    Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    4,183
    Gender
    Male
    I see a guy who is trying to find a reason rather than acceptance. Justify her behavior, her reason to break up with you, the reason why she wants to date others and you are looking so hard for something that says to you .. ahhh haaa.. this is why.
    The problem is, when you do that, you are distracting yourself from healing and you can not see the truth that altho not the answer you want, it she best answer and Ill tell you what you must accept. She no longer wanted to be in a relationship with you and it didn't work out.
    That's it. Very simple. There is no fault, no blame, no trying to put 2 and 2 together. It did not work out. Reading back thru your posts it seemed clear to me that it was rocky at best. Sure you had great times and bad but I didn't see anything anywhere you wrote that this was a great relationship. Kinda seemed one sided to me. You felt like you could help her out, be the savior that she needed but the one she never asked for.
    In truth, she wasn't the one for you. She is not now and wont be tomorrow or next year. The sooner you accept that, the sooner you can move on. And another truth.. even tho you say the break up happened 5 weeks ago and you wonder how she can date so soon. In her head maybe she was never really in it. Maybe she began separating from you weeks or months before the break up actually happened.
    So please, just accept that its over. She is not yours, probably never was and never will be. This truth hurts but you will never kiss her or hug her again. You have to hear that so that you understand that it is over. She is on dating sites and is looking to date. Nothing is saying you cant date too.

  5.  

  6. #35
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    86
    Originally Posted by No1
    I see a guy who is trying to find a reason rather than acceptance. Justify her behavior, her reason to break up with you, the reason why she wants to date others and you are looking so hard for something that says to you .. ahhh haaa.. this is why.
    The problem is, when you do that, you are distracting yourself from healing and you can not see the truth that altho not the answer you want, it she best answer and Ill tell you what you must accept. She no longer wanted to be in a relationship with you and it didn't work out.
    That's it. Very simple. There is no fault, no blame, no trying to put 2 and 2 together. It did not work out. Reading back thru your posts it seemed clear to me that it was rocky at best. Sure you had great times and bad but I didn't see anything anywhere you wrote that this was a great relationship. Kinda seemed one sided to me. You felt like you could help her out, be the savior that she needed but the one she never asked for.
    In truth, she wasn't the one for you. She is not now and wont be tomorrow or next year. The sooner you accept that, the sooner you can move on. And another truth.. even tho you say the break up happened 5 weeks ago and you wonder how she can date so soon. In her head maybe she was never really in it. Maybe she began separating from you weeks or months before the break up actually happened.
    So please, just accept that its over. She is not yours, probably never was and never will be. This truth hurts but you will never kiss her or hug her again. You have to hear that so that you understand that it is over. She is on dating sites and is looking to date. Nothing is saying you cant date too.
    I think you are totally right. I have been looking for a reason, which I know is wrong, it simply stemmed from, in my eyes, this relationship was going really well. The 2 major life events did change things but even a couple of weeks before we split we shelled out £400 on a little break, booked ourselves tickets to a show and started bookmarking a whole load of trips for the rest of the year so when it came along that it was definitely over it hit me like a train.
    Yeah, maybe I was a little smothering and maybe that was an insecurity on my part, and of course her issues with mental health made her temperamental so at times we clashed but on the whole everything ran smooth, everything was positive and everything seemed OK.
    The moment her nan passed and she lost her job, it did become more tense, and maybe we never fully recovered as a couple with how that changed us but she put a lot of effort in through December and January to make it better and it worked. Everything seemed just like before. Then in Feb it all changed again and we are where we are today

  7. #36
    Platinum Member Wiseman2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Cloud Nine
    Posts
    38,427
    Gender
    Male
    Don't beat yourself up.

  8. #37
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    86
    I don't want to beat myself up, just can't seem to stop.
    I think if I saw her on one of these sites, say 2 or 3 months after the split I would understand, as its only been 1 month and she has signalled her intent as looking for a relationship it just makes me feel quite worthless and that our relationship wasn't special to her at all

  9. #38
    Platinum Member boltnrun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    13,663
    Originally Posted by Rb1980
    I don't want to beat myself up, just can't seem to stop.
    I think if I saw her on one of these sites, say 2 or 3 months after the split I would understand, as its only been 1 month and she has signalled her intent as looking for a relationship it just makes me feel quite worthless and that our relationship wasn't special to her at all
    Nope, it means she isn't the right woman for you.

  10. #39
    Platinum Member bluecastle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    4,471
    Gender
    Male
    For whatever it's worth:

    In my 40 year history as an adult on planet earth I've dealt with breakups every which way you can imagine. I've gone through periods of celibacy and self-reflection, talking things out with therapists and reading Buddhist texts. I've drank more than usual. I've gotten naked with someone I hardly know 24 hours post-breakup. I've gotten very fit and into eating kale. And, yes, I've created a profile on a dating app and gotten into a new relationship pretty quickly—sometimes when I've been legitimately ready, sometimes when I'm trying to convince myself I'm ready.

    In all of the above? Well, none of those responses were a verdict on the "specialness" of the relationship that ended, or the person who had broken up with me or who I'd broken up with. Nope. They were all just me, being me, processing the end of something genuinely special in whatever form I thought made sense at that time. Guess what I'm trying to say is: this is just who she is, right now. The urge to make it all about you—yeah, it's understandable. But also? It's false, a misguided coping mechanism, a way of hanging on when peace will come from letting go.

    Whether she is on a dating app today, or in 6 months, doesn't change the story one degree: the story, as bolt said, that she is not the woman for you. That's a sad story, yes, but it's a sadness you have it in you to handle, to feel your way through. When you do? The story becomes less sad—a chapter, not the book—because it means you can start opening up to the unknown, and to connections that are much, much better than this one ever was.

  11. #40
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    86
    Originally Posted by bluecastle
    For whatever it's worth:
    In my 40 year history as an adult on planet earth I've dealt with breakups every which way you can imagine. I've gone through periods of celibacy and self-reflection, talking things out with therapists and reading Buddhist texts. I've drank more than usual. I've gotten naked with someone I hardly know 24 hours post-breakup. I've gotten very fit and into eating kale. And, yes, I've created a profile on a dating app and gotten into a new relationship pretty quickly—sometimes when I've been legitimately ready, sometimes when I'm trying to convince myself I'm ready.

    In all of the above? Well, none of those responses were a verdict on the "specialness" of the relationship that ended, or the person who had broken up with me or who I'd broken up with. Nope. They were all just me, being me, processing the end of something genuinely special in whatever form I thought made sense at that time. Guess what I'm trying to say is: this is just who she is, right now. The urge to make it all about you—yeah, it's understandable. But also? It's false, a misguided coping mechanism, a way of hanging on when peace will come from letting go.

    Whether she is on a dating app today, or in 6 months, doesn't change the story one degree: the story, as bolt said, that she is not the woman for you. That's a sad story, yes, but it's a sadness you have it in you to handle, to feel your way through. When you do? The story becomes less sad—a chapter, not the book—because it means you can start opening up to the unknown, and to connections that are much, much better than this one ever was.
    Thank you for your reply.
    I just feel the conversations both her and I had during our time together showed we were on the same page. She regularly said how she regretted her past actions as they actually hurt her more.
    Now seeing her on that site makes me feel she's going down that path again and that I am simply now forgotten by her.
    The way it sort of came from a slow build up of her doubting us to actually ending it, I think is what caused more hurt for me. If when she first said she was unhappy she just ended it, I may have been more accepting but as we carried on through Dec, Jan and Feb it had probably prolonged/delayed emotions.
    The seeing her on the site also hit me as it dawned on me that she took the time to create a profile, tell people she was looking for a relationship and actually want to do it so soon after we split.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •