Quandary Regarding Rent

I hope that this is the correct sub-forum for this. If it's not, please do move it!

I've been renting a room in an apartment for the last 18 months. This is a sublet room with no contract, and technically I'm not meant to be there, but these things happen.

Given the Corona situation, I came back to my parents before lockdown started (I'm in Ireland) as I don't get along well with my housemate, and I don't find the apartment to be a very relaxing place. Locked up with her constantly would be more stress than I'm capable of dealing with.

The problem is one of rent. I'm paying rent for the room back in the apartment, but I cannot go back there due to the lockdown. I have wanted to move out, and I planned to late in the summer so I decided that I may as well do it now. However, the housemate says that she needs two months' notice, and won't accept the start of this notice period until after lockdown end as she cannot look for a replacement until then.

At this point, I want to add that I suffer badly from both depression and anxiety. I'm usually okay, but it's situations like these that really set off my problems, and I'm currently feeling very anxious about this. I'm giving my parents money, naturally, but I'm also stuck paying the rent for a room I'm not using. I can afford, yes, but it's wasted money and I feel bad. My dad is getting irritated about this as he doesn't like to see me behave this way, and that's making me feel worse. I don't like to behave this way either....

What I was going to offer to my housemate was to pay one more month of rent and to let her keep the deposit. As I've already paid for this coming month, that is effectively three months that I will pay her for. The one I've paid for, the next month (may) and the month that the deposit covers. I don't know how long the lock down will go on for, so this seems reasonable? My parents say that it's crazy to pay her any more, but I think that given the situation, and given that I have no contract (I could walk out tomorrow), I think that I'm just being very generous.

What do you think?

I think you have to stick to what was agreed on - everyone is in the same boat financially and she likely cannot re-rent the room. I'm sorry you are suffering and not to be cold but that is not a business person's issue to endure financially -she as your landlady I mean.

Many people who rent rooms, have house cleaners/baby sitters/aides for their elderly relatives and on and on are all in this boat. I'm paying extra for common areas in my apartment building that are now closed. It's the way life is now, it sucks and yes even those who get depressed or get triggered by wasted money unfortunately have to endure it too. So sorry you are having a hard time.

If she's not legally permitted to sublet, she has no recourse. If you've left stuff there that you need to retrieve, either consider paying rent a storage fee for your stuff, or, if you have already retrieved your belongings, then quit paying rent and call the 'agreement' over.

Don't expect your security back from an illegal landlord. Use that as your last month, and retrieve any belongings before then.

As mentioned, the legalities are in your favor. And your housemate isn't exactly making it easy to sympathize with her trying to manipulate you with pretty egregious non-binding terms. That said, speaking personally, if there was an understanding or agreement even if not in a contract, I'd strive to keep by my word. If you've already met it, I wouldn't feel bad at all giving one last month's and not bothering with the deposit. It's up to you. Also, if your stuff is still in the apartment, it'd be pretty crappy to withhold rent until you've had it moved out.

It doesn't matter if the apartment is not meant to be rented out or if your parents feel you shouldn't be paying rent....put yourself in her shoes for a moment.

You got to run back home to your parents, she's stuck in this apartment for which you were meant to be helping pay for.

It's all well and good that you run off back home, but you left a person high and dry...not cool.

She still needs a place to live and if you think your anxiety is bad, consider how hers might be knowing she could be out on the streets!

Be a decent and responsible human being and pay at least one more months rent (30 days notice is the usual) and allow her to keep the deposit.

I think that I'm just being very generous.

Change that wording to responsible. You're not doing her a favor, you're doing the right thing and what you should be doing.

It's not always about your situation, you have to consider everyone.

But you do have the right idea, pay for May and let her keep the deposit.

No contract, no agreement, then there are no rules/laws to follow. YOU don't have to give her notice. She's just covering her own ass with bs threats. This will not hold up in court of any kind. I agree you are more than generous in your offer. You could be a dbag and not pay anything. This roommate should be grateful she is getting some compensation. And there will be people looking to rent, so don't kid yourself....with people being cooped up for weeks/months, there will be a lot of relationships ending and people wanting out. So this roommate won't be that put out from your departure.

So you were happy to take advantage of this arrangement when it was convenient for you, now that it isn't, you are totally willing to drop your roommate in the sh$t and leave her high and dry at the worst possible moment even though you can perfectly afford the payment and you are just being greedy. As pointed out, legally, you can probably do it just fine with a 30 day notice. I guess it boils down to what kind of a person you want to be and what lets you sleep at night. Only you can decide on that.

Who's to say that the room cannot be rented out during this lock down? You managed to leave and return home. Maybe there is someone else out there that need s a room. Have either you or the landlady tried to find someone to replace you?

I'm not completely unsympathetic to the person wanting your rent. However, being a landlord comes with certain risks. And being an illegal landlord even more so. She should chalk it up and try to rent out the room.

You should move on. It really is not your problem to solve.

If she cannot make the rent without renting a room out, then she is in the wrong place to begin with.

Since there is no contract, you are NOT legally bound and under NO obligation whatsoever to acquiesce to your previous housemate's demands.

Reach a compromise with her which is FAIR to both of you and if she refuses to be reasonable with some sort of compromise, then the deal is off the table.

Mask yourself, wear gloves, retrieve your belongings, sanitize everything, wash your hands, don't touch your face and remain at your parents' house.

This is survival for everybody and you are NOT responsible for your ex-housemate's welfare.

I think you are more than generous with your offer. She can take it or leave it IMHO. Remain steadfast, unwavering and absolute.

Be tough. You can do this.

Hey! So I live in Ireland too, which might help quite a bit in this case.

Legally speaking, you are a licensee not a tenant, which means you can leave without any notice. (She can also kick you out at any time).

Appartments are being rented every day during lockdown, we were experiencing a massive housing crisis before COVID-19 and people are moving every day.

Housemate will not end up on the streets either. Evictions and rent increases are illegal for the next 3 months. And all people unemployed because of the pandemic are paid by the state.

So go, pack, and leave. Don't pay another month and leave her you deposit. That's an additional month for her to find someone to replace you.

Also to people saying she was happy with the arrangement beforehand, Ireland was in the middle of the biggest housing crisis ever and many people were abusing the situation, so pretty sure she was paying most of the actual rent of the whole apartment for a crappy room. Housemate might be unhappy because as a result of the pandemic all the Airbnb apartments are flooding the market now and prices are going down. So definitely do not pay another month and just leave.

You can drive there, pack and drive back. If stopped by the guards say your lease is over and you'll be out and in, that would be ok.

Hey! So I live in Ireland too, which might help quite a bit in this case.

Legally speaking, you are a licensee not a tenant, which means you can leave without any notice. (She can also kick you out at any time).

Appartments are being rented every day during lockdown, we were experiencing a massive housing crisis before COVID-19 and people are moving every day.

Housemate will not end up on the streets either. Evictions and rent increases are illegal for the next 3 months. And all people unemployed because of the pandemic are paid by the state.

So go, pack, and leave. Don't pay another month and leave her you deposit. That's an additional month for her to find someone to replace you.

Great advice, Unsure82!

OP has every right to make her exit, get her belongings and move back with her parents!

Honestly, i would pay this month's rent to be a decent person about it. It doesn't matter that the apartment is not relaxing, anxiety, depresson blah blah blah. If rent was due today, pay for this month and give your notice vs making them wonder where you are at, if you are ever coming back, etc.

Archived