What are your new routines?

I hope everyone is staying safe right now!

I'd love to hear everyone's new routines while staying at home, and what has or hasn't changed for you. Especially, from people who work from home, while having young children in the house.

My fiance and I are currently working from home, while trying to entertain our almost 3 year old daughter. I find it pretty challenging to entertain our little one sometimes, while we are glued to the computers. We have tried to set up a bit of a schedule, and it's helped. We wake up at the same time and make some coffee. Fiance makes us all breakfast while checking emails, delegating work to the team, and LO and I do some toddler yoga. Afterwards I go upstairs and start working, while she has her own little desk set up next to mine and she draws with me. This lasts a good while, but usually she gets bored and bugs her dad downstairs a bit. I work until lunch and start cooking with her. We all eat together and I try to go for a run outside around the house, while listening to podcasts. Currently it's The Great Influenza, very light and uplifting reading material!

Usually around this time the TV gets turned on for a bit. The guilt is strong, but we gotta do what we gotta do. Maybe 2 hours later, after we try to get as much work done as possible, while LO is engrossed in Scooby Doo or her Kindle, I play with her upstairs and try to really engage. Dollhouse, role play, reading books, counting etc. Hide and Seek is also a favorite, especially when she gives her position away as soon as I try to find her. This is also usually when I pour myself a glass of wine. Before people try to send me to AA, I don't do this every day, but quarantines call for a bit of rule breaking.

Now I get to work more and fiance plays with her or we do some more emergency TV time, depending on how easy going LO is. Once I'm done around 5:30, LO and I take our daily bath together and she plays with her little plastic fish, while I read a chapter of my book. Fiance gets some quiet time to himself or starts making dinner. We eat together a bit later and soon after LO does her bedtime routine and I tuck her in. Now it's either chatting on the porch with more wine, Netflix or each one does their own thing. Usually some video games for fiance and for me my current crime novel. Lately I'm trying to do some home exercise while fiance does his thing and LO sleeps. Hopefully I can keep this up.

Not the most thrilling read, but to anyone who did finish, maybe you got some ideas or feel less guilty about the chaos with kids or too much TV time. Would love to hear what everyone else is up to these days!

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm a medical supplies distributor, so I go in each day. It's been stressful and crazy here since end of January. And currently not allowing any visitors, but the mailman.

But my husband got laid off in February, so while it sucks, it has been good timing since all the school are closed, and they've been setting up virtual learning and classes for the kids including my son's preschool. It's still a sh*t show though just getting through everything. Managing both kids was hard the 1st week. Today, they are making loaves of bread. I have friends who are working from home, but with kids and conference calls, I think everyone just needs to accept there may be screaming kids in the background.

I've just been walking outside daily (when weather permits) and on the treadmill (when it doesn't permit). I've been on the computer a lot as well. The hubby and I (thank god we find each other's sense of humour hilarious. I think it's what has helped us to stay together for 43 years) have been catching up on all the movies we haven't seen that are being released through streaming etc.

My home has never been cleaner.

I miss having my daughter and her family over for dinner and general visiting.

The World Health Organization site has an approved recipe on its site but damned if I know where to find any of the ingredients it calls for.

Labatt's Brewery here has converted some of its huge brewing vats to make hand sanitizer to give to first responders and the medical community as well as nursing homes. I fear for those brave souls.

From the CDC:

Wash Your Hands Often to Stay Healthy

You can help yourself and your loved ones stay healthy by washing your hands often, especially during these key times when you are likely to get and spread germs:

Before, during, and after preparing food

Before eating food

Before and after caring for someone at home who is sick with vomiting or diarrhea

Before and after treating a cut or wound

After using the toilet

After changing diapers or cleaning up a child who has used the toilet

After blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing

After touching an animal, animal feed, or animal waste

After handling pet food or pet treats

After touching garbage

https://www.cdc.gov/handwashing/show-me-the-science-hand-sanitizer.html

I hope you can stay safe out there tattoo bunny! I have endless respect for people like you!

I’m sorry your husband was laid off. I hope it’s not too much of a financial burden on your family at the moment. I’m crossing my fingers for better times soon. Definitely a saving grace for homeschooling though! I agree, work is slower than normal and meetings are interesting with the little one dancing or taking off her pants in the background. Thankfully everyone understands.

I've just been walking outside daily (when weather permits) and on the treadmill (when it doesn't permit). I've been on the computer a lot as well. The hubby and I (thank god we find each other's sense of humour hilarious. I think it's what has helped us to stay together for 43 years) have been catching up on all the movies we haven't seen that are being released through streaming etc.

My home has never been cleaner.

I miss having my daughter and her family over for dinner and general visiting.

Haha I hear you on the clean home. It’s been my number one hobby for weekends. Nice spring cleaning every Saturday and the garage has never been more tidy.

Cab you recommend any good movies?

No kids in the picture, so it's obviously easier for us logistically. Wife's essential staff, so she has to go in. I kept some of my translating work for my university students who have live remote classes. Unfortunately a lot of classes are being pre-recorded and sent in for post-production translating and captioning as it's cheaper for the university. Kind of a bummer. But I had a truck load of lumber dumped off in the driveway. Supplementing my work with framing out the basement to finish it and building some raised beds for the back yard right now (while obviously fitting in a healthy amount of BS'ing on here). I might ease up on the throttle a bit to space it out, but between building, probably wiring and drywalling the basement, and all the landscaping, I should have plenty to do and make up for the money lost from reduced hours.

Regardless, the wife and I are incredibly lucky we both have jobs, even if mine's essentially halved. Got a lot of folks back where I come from who have been laid off / required to stay home without pay. Foreclosures and evictions are held off, but all their payments are still due. Unemployment systems are backed up and borderline inaccessible for them online. Any amount of stir-crazy I feel tends to go away when I take a moment to think about it. Having a yard / private area outside to go to also helps out a lot. Just moved from NYC last August and couldn't be more grateful considering the circumstances.

Among other things, I am embracing this time to read, reflect on life, watch movies/tv, connect with family & friends online/phone and lead a healthier lifestyle. I'm only paying attention to the news when necessary (it's good to be informed) and I'm nurturing my self with anything that is empowering or uplifting.

I've got a little bit of hand sanitizer left, but I am using it very sparingly at the moment. None at the shops left.

I'm lucky I'm on maternity leave. I am an essential worker, but would be unable to go in, as pregnant women in the UK are included on a12 week isolation period. My fiance is a web developer so working from home, although he'd join me in isolation if he had to, as we have no choice but to share a bed and space.

We're lucky we live extremely remote, so can go for walks and not come in contact with others, our cats love going for walks with us lol.

Haha I hear you on the clean home. It’s been my number one hobby for weekends. Nice spring cleaning every Saturday and the garage has never been more tidy.

Cab you recommend any good movies?

Well, I don't know your tastes but we found that Once Upon A Time In Hollywood to be fantastic. We also liked Spencer Confidential for a bit of fun and Jo Jo Rabbit was bittersweet and funny. If you have access to them... all of this years Academy Award nominees were very good except we found The Joker far too dark for our liking.

I looked up the WHO recipe, but the main ingredient is isopropyl alcohol, which can't be found either.

I know. Its hard to get much of anything with the proper amount of alcohol in it (at least 60% per bottle so I understand). I happened to have a large container of Lysol wipes since before all this crazy hoarding so I have been using that on my shopping cart long before the stores were cleaning them. We have 1/2 bottle of hand sanitizer left. :(

Like this thread.

I've worked from home most of my life, so routine-wise that part is about the same. My work has been momentarily eradicated by this, along with my other work (two properties I own and rent out short term in two cities that are hit pretty hard) that supports the inherently spotty nature of the creative work—all of which is concerning, so it's the same routine minus the part where it earns me money and provides some sense of meaning. But it is what it is. I've weathered financial storms in the past, along with all sorts of uncertainty, and if this gets really stormy I'll figure that out.

I live with my girlfriend, who also worked from home before this, and has work now. Great. Phew. I'm generally the first awake. Coffee is made by me for the house, followed by some quiet time at the computer. We haven't lived together long—about three months—but prior to this we seemed to be on the same page with running a household without really talking about the playbook, so not a lot of disruption on that front. Dinner gets cooked by one of us, we're both very clean. Wine has been enjoyed.

We've got her daughter half the week, and everyone's adjusting on that front. Girlfriend captains that ship—with grace and aplomb—and I've kind of quietly taken up the role of doing anything I can to lessen that burden: dishes, laundry, you name it, the hope (so far, so good!) that when she emerges from the homeschooling stuff she's got room to relax since the other boxes are checked. I've stepped in as of today as a substitute teacher in the wings—just did some math work, and am now the "P.E. teacher," which will mean bike riding around the neighborhood while girlfriend works, lays down, talks to a friend, or whatever she feels like doing. Training wheels came off two days ago—and, for all the chaos, I have to say that teaching a kid to ride a bike has been one of the most incredible moments of my 40 years. So, a dusting of light in the dark.

That's us. We're carving out time at night to kick back the two of us, sipping something, laughing, talking, being goofy, being vulnerable. Enjoyed the Pharmacist on Netflix, for anyone who, like me, finds comfort in the dark in dark programming.

No kids in the picture, so it's obviously easier for us logistically. Wife's essential staff, so she has to go in. I kept some of my translating work for my university students who have live remote classes. Unfortunately a lot of classes are being pre-recorded and sent in for post-production translating and captioning as it's cheaper for the university. Kind of a bummer. But I had a truck load of lumber dumped off in the driveway. Supplementing my work with framing out the basement to finish it and building some raised beds for the back yard right now (while obviously fitting in a healthy amount of BS'ing on here). I might ease up on the throttle a bit to space it out, but between building, probably wiring and drywalling the basement, and all the landscaping, I should have plenty to do and make up for the money lost from reduced hours.

Regardless, the wife and I are incredibly lucky we both have jobs, even if mine's essentially halved. Got a lot of folks back where I come from who have been laid off / required to stay home without pay. Foreclosures and evictions are held off, but all their payments are still due. Unemployment systems are backed up and borderline inaccessible for them online. Any amount of stir-crazy I feel tends to go away when I take a moment to think about it. Having a yard / private area outside to go to also helps out a lot. Just moved from NYC last August and couldn't be more grateful considering the circumstances.

Respect to your wife! I hope y’all stay healthy.

I completely agree. It’s definitely sobering to think of everyone who got laid off and has it infinitely worse right now. I’m grateful we get to work from home with no financial cuts, and I’m crossing my fingers every day it will stay that way.

Sounds like you’re staying busy! This is a great time for some home improvement and our garage has never looked better ;) I’m thinking it might be a good time to plant some vegetables and herbs too. Yes, yards help so much right now!

Well, I don't know your tastes but we found that Once Upon A Time In Hollywood to be fantastic. We also liked Spencer Confidential for a bit of fun and Jo Jo Rabbit was bittersweet and funny. If you have access to them... all of this years Academy Award nominees were very good except we found The Joker far too dark for our liking.

I know. Its hard to get much of anything with the proper amount of alcohol in it (at least 60% per bottle so I understand). I happened to have a large container of Lysol wipes since before all this crazy hoarding so I have been using that on my shopping cart long before the stores were cleaning them. We have 1/2 bottle of hand sanitizer left. :(

Have you watched Schitt's Creek on Netflix?

Currently due to the COVID-19 pandemic, my husband and I were ordered to work from home. We'll take a break to go bicycle riding or take a walk while avoiding pedestrians in our deserted residential neighborhood.

On weekends, he can be seen pushing a lawnmower for our front and back yards. Our errands were taken care of. Our garage refrigerator / freezer, storage cabinets, pantry storage and our house's refrigerator / freezer, storage cabinets and pantry storage are all well stocked. We finally got with the program and ensured that our house and garage are well supplied.

We would take our dog for a walk. However, at age 14 years, she sadly passed away last year. :upset:

Everyone's hunkering down including my siblings and mother at their houses. Most people whom I know are currently working from home.

However, I worry about my single parent hairstylist who can't work because the hair salon is shut down indefinitely. A painter whom I know is hurting his business because customers canceled. My husband's physical therapist said the majority of his patients all canceled on him so it's worrisome for his business. My husband and I have since canceled ALL of our appointments.

No one wants contractors in their homes nowadays. Contractors such as plumbers, electricians, construction workers, floor installers, window installers, service type industries are all worried about how they're going to pay their bills because their business came to a screeching halt. The list goes on forever. Many of my friends canceled their housekeeper / housecleaning services. My dentist's office had shut down. So many businesses are closed and shut down until further notice. My library and schools are are shut down and closed. Daycare centers are closed. It's crazy. This is crippling the economy. Many people don't know how they're going to put food on the table, pay rent or mortgages. Not everyone can work from home.

My husband and I feel incredibly fortunate that our livelihoods are not at stake. We're doing fine. However, we're feeling claustrophobic but doing the best we can due to this isolated situation. We'll meet friends for walks while keeping a 6 ft distance. For breaks, we'll plant our fold out chairs, again 6 ft apart. You do what you have to do. Our neighbors and us planted our chairs 6 ft apart on our cul-de-sac recently. All of our homes have since been paid off, we own them free and clear so we're luckier than most.

As much as I feel sorry for the less fortunate, unfortunately, we're only concerned about our own households and personal survival. It's a dog eat dog world out there. Every man for himself. We're fine but everyone is more tense and nervous than usual or so I've noticed. It's boiled down to a survival thing.

We avoid walking on trails and along our neighborhood golf course areas because it's getting too crowded as others had the same idea. Therefore, we walk around our subdivision in our residential neighborhood and that seems to work because it's more deserted and desolate. Trails and walkways had gotten so crowded that they're being closed off now anyway.

My husband picks up the slack so I have it easy and life is not difficult. I feel very blessed and lucky indeed.

Like this thread.

I've worked from home most of my life, so routine-wise that part is about the same. My work has been momentarily eradicated by this, along with my other work (two properties I own and rent out short term in two cities that are hit pretty hard) that supports the inherently spotty nature of the creative work—all of which is concerning, so it's the same routine minus the part where it earns me money and provides some sense of meaning. But it is what it is. I've weathered financial storms in the past, along with all sorts of uncertainty, and if this gets really stormy I'll figure that out.

I live with my girlfriend, who also worked from home before this, and has work now. Great. Phew. I'm generally the first awake. Coffee is made by me for the house, followed by some quiet time at the computer. We haven't lived together long—about three months—but prior to this we seemed to be on the same page with running a household without really talking about the playbook, so not a lot of disruption on that front. Dinner gets cooked by one of us, we're both very clean. Wine has been enjoyed.

We've got her daughter half the week, and everyone's adjusting on that front. Girlfriend captains that ship—with grace and aplomb—and I've kind of quietly taken up the role of doing anything I can to lessen that burden: dishes, laundry, you name it, the hope (so far, so good!) that when she emerges from the homeschooling stuff she's got room to relax since the other boxes are checked. I've stepped in as of today as a substitute teacher in the wings—just did some math work, and am now the "P.E. teacher," which will mean bike riding around the neighborhood while girlfriend works, lays down, talks to a friend, or whatever she feels like doing. Training wheels came off two days ago—and, for all the chaos, I have to say that teaching a kid to ride a bike has been one of the most incredible moments of my 40 years. So, a dusting of light in the dark.

That's us. We're carving out time at night to kick back the two of us, sipping something, laughing, talking, being goofy, being vulnerable. Enjoyed the Pharmacist on Netflix, for anyone who, like me, finds comfort in the dark in dark programming.

I bet she is so grateful for your help with her child. Substitute teacher can be such a fun job. While ours is still not old enough to have a homeschooling program in place, I love the extra time I get to spend with her. Maybe riding a bike will be next on our list!

Any dark programs are right up my alley and I’ve discovered my daughter is a bit of a scary fan too. While she’s not been introduced to my Stephen king collection yet, she’s definitely digging scooby doo mysteries ;)

Cheers!

Among other things, I am embracing this time to read, reflect on life, watch movies/tv, connect with family & friends online/phone and lead a healthier lifestyle. I'm only paying attention to the news when necessary (it's good to be informed) and I'm nurturing my self with anything that is empowering or uplifting.

I've got a little bit of hand sanitizer left, but I am using it very sparingly at the moment. None at the shops left.

Reading so much right now, I love it!

Thanks so much for asking and sharing! So the big changes for me are one that I get no me time really other than my daily power walk at dawn (2.3-.5 miles)- other than -well, that's awesome for me. My building had a small workout room -has -but now it's closed because of this. Please don't think I'm complaining about anything I write as we are fortunate in many ways!!

We have an 11 year old -schools are closed -online learning kind of lame for now. Afterschool online activities are better and I've been researching other online resources with success. Both our offices are closed. I am part time and light on work so far -he is more than full time and busier than ever. And again -please- not to complain -but since I can't have my twice monthly cleaners come and since my son is home 24/7 I'm doing a lot more cooking and food prep.

We're doing our best to do social distancing. I'm a firm believer in getting some time outdoors daily if at all possible -so my power walk, husband does the same, and son comes with one of us for a solitary walk (we live down the block from a gorgeous park which I don't think they will close as homeless people live in it - I always do my first power walk on my own though -too early for him to be out and often it's before they get up!). We all feel kind of out of sorts- especially our son.

I've tried to keep up a routine with some success. My son and I when this started did a brainstorming list of activities by category and then for a couple of days, using the list ,created a more specific, detailed schedule for the day.

I am really thankful to be healthy - been 3 weeks since we traveled domestically, over 2 weeks since I went to my office and took public transportation and Friday will be two weeks since my son was in school. Thank goodness no reported cases yet in any of those places.

Becky I wish you and your family well!

Archived