Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 101112131415 LastLast

Thread: What are your new routines?

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by itsallgrand
    Today I cooked a huge meal all from scratch. I wanted something comforting, and wanted to share with my boyfriend the kind of meal my grandmother used to make.
    I was remembering being young and her cooking up these gorgeous meals with what seemed like very little. Remembering the things she taught me, and that feeling of being with her in the kitchen.
    I was proud of that meal, it turned out great! And he was praising it to high heaven, which of course felt very good.

I've found myself remember a lot of things from when I was younger, the skills I got taught about making do with what you've got and that self sufficiency in little things. We weren't well off by any means, but I didn't feel want. You adapt to it.

Just going back to that more now, after some time of getting a little too used to super convienience all the time.
    It's something I'm grateful for today.
    Yes I hear you but I also echo Jibralta -what did you make? My great grandmother made her own noodles from scratch (my son tells me he was in the "noodles club" at school with his friends -they are anti-spaghetti lol). - I don't cook much at all and because shopping is so stressful I'm doing nothing elaborate right now but I've been baking more japanese sweet potatoes(they're lighter colored/starchier/yellow flesh), I bought some oatmeal as a lunch alternative, and sometimes I do "mish mash" which is left over mac and cheese with spaghetti um sorry noodles.
    My mother used to make homemade mac and cheese -with velveeta lol - and my dad made homemade french fries. She also made spaghetti and meatballs from scratch (no jar sauce).

I'm so glad you cooked -I have a friend doing that now to decrease her stress - love her photos (hmmmm I bet it's take out and she's just being sanctimommy ;-)

I've also been cooking a lot, more than usual, which has been nice.

Some favorites over the past week or so? A bolognese sauce, which took 4 hours, but fed us for for a few days and got the stamp of approval from a discerning (or is it picky?) 8 year old. Roasted some cauliflower and broccoli two nights ago with some thinly sliced kumquats from the tree outside—roasting them brings out the sweetness, cuts down the tang. Whisked some garlic, tahini, yogurt, and lemon juice together for a little improvised sauce—long my go-to. Girlfriend took the reigns yesterday with a chicken curry in the slow cooker: cumin, turmeric, coconut milk, lime juice. I augmented it with some sautéed kale and rainbow chard. Yum.

But the crowning achievement, if I may boast, has been a dish I'm calling "Chinese leftovers, made from scratch." Have done it three times in the past two weeks. Basically I cook down (in one pan) a lot of string beans with soy and garlic, while (in another) I let some ground beef simmer with onions, soy, ginger, sesame oil, a dash of brown sugar and sriracha. Then mix 'em up and serve over rice. Super easy, highly recommended.

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by bluecastle
    I've also been cooking a lot, more than usual, which has been nice.

Some favorites over the past week or so? A bolognese sauce, which took 4 hours, but fed us for for a few days and got the stamp of approval from a discerning (or is it picky?) 8 year old. Roasted some cauliflower and broccoli two nights ago with some thinly sliced kumquats from the tree outside—roasting them brings out the sweetness, cuts down the tang. Whisked some garlic, tahini, yogurt, and lemon juice together for a little improvised sauce—long my go-to. Girlfriend took the reigns yesterday with a chicken curry in the slow cooker: cumin, turmeric, coconut milk, lime juice. I augmented it with some sautéed kale and rainbow chard. Yum.

But the crowning achievement, if I may boast, has been a dish I'm calling "Chinese leftovers, made from scratch." Have done it three times in the past two weeks. Basically I cook down (in one pan) a lot of string beans with soy and garlic, while (in another) I let some ground beef simmer with onions, soy, ginger, sesame oil, a dash of brown sugar and sriracha. Then mix 'em up and serve over rice. Super easy, highly recommended.
    Yum! I never have those blocks of time to prepare food. Today I barely was able to get 15 minutes to make my tuna-avocado-egg salad because of my child (husband is in a meeting in the other room)

Good news? My training for the remainder of the month is to be virtual.

Bad news? I still have to attend 4 days of in-person training this week, in a building with about 100 other people in it.

Good news? The safety rep told me they do have masks available.

Bad news? The company was supposed to supply me with my own laptop but someone forgot to get me one, so I have to go to possibly another building to pick it up.

Good news? The hand sanitizer and gloves I ordered will be delivered this week.

Bad news? The masks I ordered for my own personal use won't be here until at least the beginning of the last week of April.

It's been super windy after a warm couple of weeks, so pollen is flying around like crazy. On my best days I don't feel well, but I do not have a cough and no respiratory issues. But people give me a hard look when I dab my nose with Kleenex constantly, which I have always done. I want to shout "I'm not sick! I always have a runny nose!!"

Originally Posted by Jibralta
    What did you make?
    Homemade bread, homemade soup, mini pot pies ( adapted to be vegan for him, but it turned out ) , roasted meat for me, then brown sugar candy and mousse for dessert.

Platinum Member
    Homemade bread, homemade soup, mini pot pies ( adapted to be vegan for him, but it turned out ) , roasted meat for me, then brown sugar candy and mousse for dessert.
    Sounds incredible!!!

Originally Posted by bluecastle
    A bolognese sauce, which took 4 hours, but fed us for for a few days and got the stamp of approval from a discerning (or is it picky?) 8 year old.
    I made that this weekend as well. Got the recipe from my friend's wife. She made us the most incredible bolognese last year. Poor woman thought she'd have leftovers, but my boyfriend and I ate the whole pot. We were blown away by how good it was. I don't think my bolognese was quite as good. I used the wrong pasta (winged it) and the pasta:sauce salt ratio was off. Next time, I'll get it.

Yum!

This weekend, we are going to make kalitsounia, which is a Greek cheese pastry. We usually make them for special occasions, but we decided that on Saturday (or Sunday?) we will bake batches all day and eat them like bon bons.

How’s everyone doing?

Decided today was a great day to display some of my daughters artwork around the house. Not sure how everyone with kids feel about their art. I’ve heard stories of people getting sick and tired of art projects, I don’t blame them. I like to collect and keep every scrap she draws on. So now I’ve got some dinosaurs, ladybugs and foot prints above my desk!
    Other than that I fixed some lose fabric flaps in the car to my fiancé’s great joy. Now it’s pouring and dim lights and candles are being lit. I love a good summer rain. (Summer because it feels like summer where I am already). I hope everyone is staying healthy!

Platinum Member
    No artwork here -not his thing, not mine either but we go to museums regularly -he appreciates art. Hanging in. Very hard to stay patient and calm.

I had a rough day yesterday. Felt like I was impatient with her about everything... today was so much better. I hope your day will be better tomorrow.

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 101112131415 LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice