Dating during Corona Virus

Ian4996

Hi all

This is a general question for all the people on here who, like me, have been app dating, looking for the right person.

How are you going about it in the current climate and (probably) for the next x number of months?

Assuming you're symptom free, are you:

a) sacking off any type of dating

b) still swiping / messaging but only doing Facetime / Skype with people rather than meeting in person

c) still meeting people but maintaining social distancing (e.g. going for a walk in the countryside keeping at least a couple of metres apart)

d) still meeting people and doing the physical things you would do normally (touching, kissing, sex etc)

And would the above change if you'd already had several dates with the same person over the course of a few weeks / a month or 2?

No dating!

Why take a chance with your LIFE??? You know someone could be asymptomatic and still spread the virus. You would be taking a chance with not only your life but the lives of others.

I think we can all do without a date for the next few weeks. We'll survive.

Great question. No restaurants, social distancing, many public venues closed. I suppose desperate times call for desperate measures, meaning perhaps video dating for a while before meeting may be an acceptable thing now. Even then, when will it be ok to kiss? Do you share handsanitizer before holding hands? It seems like uncharted waters for now.

b) still swiping / messaging but only doing Facetime / Skype with people rather than meeting in person

c) still meeting people but maintaining social distancing (e.g. going for a walk in the countryside keeping at least a couple of metres apart)

d) still meeting people and doing the physical things you would do normally (touching, kissing, sex etc)

I wouldn't. Firstly, many cities are issuing stay in place orders, so that's kinda that. Secondly, there's not really much point. You either get along in person or you don't. Yes, there's some value for some in establishing some very mild rapport (not a priority of mine, but having a 10-minute phone call understandably is for many around here). But engaging in psuedo long-distance dating doesn't change whether you've got chemistry across the table from someone. Saw a friend of mine post a facebook meme about "Welcome back to courtship and talking to me on the phone and exchanging a lot of messages before meeting." Sounds miserable to me, but I could also be an outlier.

Buy / download some books and / or some video games. Get ready for some internet outages. Bandwidth usage is about to go wild.

Hi all

This is a general question for all the people on here who, like me, have been app dating, looking for the right person.

How are you going about it in the current climate and (probably) for the next x number of months?

And would the above change if you'd already had several dates with the same person over the course of a few weeks / a month or 2?

Being responsible and staying home.

With all the news out there and people do not know that they are most contagious when they do not show symptoms. Stop swiping and turn on the news and get informed.

My feeling is that this will be a boom time—pretty brief, all in all—for the kind of pixilated insta-intimacies that, in more normal times, are regarded as cautionary tales on this site. But, hey, so it goes. Want to swipe left and right, and seek some solace in getting flirty like that? No biggie. I'm sure a lot of people are doing just that, as they did before the pandemic. Will be whatever it will be.

Prediction: a month or two or three from now, we here on ENA will be talking people down from such entanglements going sour.

But meeting up, even with distance? Seems awkward, unneeded, irresponsible. As for continuing something that was happening? I think the window for that has closed. My best friend, funny enough, has been holed up in his house for a week with a woman he'd started seeing two weeks before all this. They're in this together, in short, and we'll see if they emerge together. Seems, so far, to be a great thing for both of them.

So answering your question? I'd say that if continuing to pursue romance is important right now, it's going to exist only on screens, with the same pluses and minuses that come with that during less apocalyptic times.

What happens when spring fever and cabin fever collide? 🤯

You make either prudent or foolish choices and decisions at that point. Best to err on the side of caution and use common sense.

We're working from home, my husband and I take walks in our residential neighborhood and along golf courses while avoiding everyone. Sparse, random pedestrians do likewise.

Our house's refrigerator-freezer, kitchen pantry, garage refrigerator-freezer, garage pantry and garage storage cabinets are stocked so we're ok.

As for dating during COVID-19 pandemic, take a break from dating, stay home, wash your hands, sanitize everything, don't touch your face and better safe than sorry!

I was wondering this too just now. Despite what the heart may desire, the rational me knows that meeting people at the moment is irresponsible. So that's out. But for how long are people going to be able to abstain from physical contact? We're talking several months... These are definitely uncharted waters.

If you are already dating someone I guess you could watch a movie simultaneously and discuss it, have video chats, play video games together and all that.

I mean currently I am afraid to leave my house so I think dating would be out of the question if I were single. Right now I am just chilling and finding things to do at home, and spending the energy I do have connecting with my friends and family over phone/Zoom/FaceTime.

If you're willing to risk infecting yourself or others just for a chance to meet a stranger, that's pretty desperate.

I'd maybe plug in for a quick Skype now and then to screen out or screen in people to meet in the future, but I'd limit all contact to that rather than build cyber fantasies 'around' someone I don't even know.

Buck up. We're all depending on it.

I mean currently I am afraid to leave my house so I think dating would be out of the question if I were single. Right now I am just chilling and finding things to do at home, and spending the energy I do have connecting with my friends and family over phone/Zoom/FaceTime.

I am not staying in my house all day because that would be very unhealthy for me -I am doing my daily power walk, complete social distance. My 85 year old mother is taking walks every day in the same circumstance, different city. One of us is taking out our son every day for walks, socially distanced. For me it's essential for mental health and exercise. I can exercise at home if needed and even the governor of the state where things are the worst told people to still go out for a solitary walk to be outdoors for mental health. Totally fine if you feel scared but it's not a risky activity in an uncrowded space. I wouldn't go for a walk with anyone else other than my immediate family (husband and son, that's it).

If I were single I very likely would meet no one unless he wanted to do that 6 plus feet apart walk for a half hour outside. I doubt anyone would want to.

I am not staying in my house all day because that would be very unhealthy for me -I am doing my daily power walk, complete social distance. My 85 year old mother is taking walks every day in the same circumstance, different city. One of us is taking out our son every day for walks, socially distanced. For me it's essential for mental health and exercise. I can exercise at home if needed and even the governor of the state where things are the worst told people to still go out for a solitary walk to be outdoors for mental health. Totally fine if you feel scared but it's not a risky activity in an uncrowded space. I wouldn't go for a walk with anyone else other than my immediate family (husband and son, that's it).

If I were single I very likely would meet no one unless he wanted to do that 6 plus feet apart walk for a half hour outside. I doubt anyone would want to.

I hear you! it is how I reduce stress. I need my 10.000 steps for my sanity.

I hear you! it is how I reduce stress. I need my 10.000 steps for my sanity.

Yes, I went out towards the end of a rain shower at 7am. I saw during my half hour or so outside about 10 people from a distance -dog walkers, other joggers/power walkers. It was nice to see them, nice to see trees, to feel the fresh air post-rain. I do not think that is risky in the least from all I've heard from reliable sources. And very beneficial from every other perspective, for me and my family lol (as my son said after I came back and showered, oohhhh the bathroom smells so good and is so warm. Little things.

I've got a boatload of landscaping projects I gotta do for the yard, so I'll be outside doing that. Already have the supplies and material. Won't ever be within 20 feet of anyone but my wife, though. Both fortunately but unfortunately, she's essential staff at her clinic. Employment security is good. But it's very likely a sooner than later for us. I've had a collapsed lung and there's some scarring left, so while not a big risk factor, it's enough of one where we're taking measures trying to at least stagger it between us if / when it makes it into the home. That's enough of a pain to arrange. Couldn't imagine going through even a fraction of the effort in the dating scene with someone I didn't even know.

Message, chat online, Skype calls...they all seem perfectly fine right now.

Loads of people sex cam and send naked pics, just keeping it real....you can too if you really feel the urge.

But STAY HOME. No meeting up anywhere.

This. All of the above, while certainly limited in the grand scheme of romance, sound like fine, and healthy, ways to scratch that very human itch during a very peculiar time on planet earth.

Archived