Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Really Dumb Argument

Really Dumb Argument

Hello, first post here.

So I got into a really dumb argument with my boyfriend. Basically, we were debating/arguing about the Corona virus and he said I should stay home. I said I donít necessarily feel too concerned about the virus as the survival rate is good especially for someone of my age and health. Plus, I live alone and itís not like im endagering my parents, etc. He then goes on to say, ďThis isnít the the flu, itís a virus.Ē
    Then I said something along the lines of ďI have a feeling you donít know what youíre talking about. The flu is a virus, influenza.Ē

Basically I kept asking him questions about Corona and how it was different from the flu and he couldnít answer. I was laughing and telling him I could just Google the information since he doesnít know anything.

I donít think he appreciated me not taking him seriously. He said ďSorry that I care, Iím going to block you.Ē Then he blocked me.

This is the dumbest of dumb arguments but basically should I try to contact him and be the bigger person or just leave it be?

Note: Hes blocked me once before over a dumb argument and Iím the one who came running back to him. Since he blocked me once and I came back I donít want him to think I will always boomerang back to him when Iím blocked.

Note: please dont criticize my views on the virus. I just want to know if I should contact him.

I think you need to ask yourself a fundamental question - is his behavior acceptable to you? Does him blocking you every time you have some argument acceptable to you? Is this something you want to put up with?

For me, the answer would be, "heck no" the first time around, however I'm not you. Do you want to keep dancing to his toxic tune? Only you can answer that for yourself.

I'm not a fan of the silent treatment, or blocking/unblocking, running and begging type games. I personally will walk instantly the very second someone demonstrates that kind of behavior. It doesn't even matter who is right, who is wrong - it boils down to communication v. playing games. I don't like games. Do you?

I feel stupid defending him but this is only his second time doing it. It isn't a common thing for him but I do see what you are saying. I think it is best I don't call him but I want to ugh I'm dumb....

Why not criticize your views? I'm in the young and extremely healthy crowd. I don't go out unless it's bare bones necessary. And when I do, I don't dismiss the significance. Zero to do with my mortality. Should an elderly relative, friend, or even neighbor need my assistance (which is all but a certainty if this momentum keeps), I want to be able to provide it at minimal risk to their health. There are a lot of folks out there not just elderly and vulnerable, but young and immunocompromised. I'm also not particularly interested in doubling down on my wife's odds of getting it (in your case, it'd be your boyfriend), and thus forcing her hand when it comes to her elderly family and friends. "Living alone" is hardly doing your part to mitigate risk to public health.

As for your boyfriend blocking you, it's childish. Should've just dumped you and called it a day without the games. Your apathy toward the disadvantaged population juxtaposed with speaking to him in a way people don't even talk to children would be reason enough.

Leave it be. You'll both hopefully grow up and end up in healthier relationships.

Firstly:
    I said I donít necessarily feel too concerned about the virus as the survival rate is good especially for someone of my age and health.
    How utterly selfish and entitled of you. Since you think you know so much about the virus, You know that you could contract it but not show any symptoms and then give it to a more vulnerable demographic, right?

Secondly: You are with the wrong man. I don't know him but I'm thinking he could do better.

Keep yourself blocked by blocking him and get on with finding someone you get along with better. Someone that can reason with you about things that you are being selfish and entitled about.

Platinum Member
    There are very few couples who will agree 100% on everything, but the adult response is to agree to differ.

A therapist once told me - when I'd just started seeing someone new - that at the first sign of sulking or jealousy I should get out. Because it isn't going to work.

Don't contact him. If you do, you're sending a clear message that blocking is a handy way to control you, and this won't do you any good at all. If he gets in touch with you, then by all means discuss it - but let him know that if he does this again then you will consider the relationship to be over.

Originally Posted by HelpGivens
    I feel stupid defending him but this is only his second time doing it. It isn't a common thing for him but I do see what you are saying. I think it is best I don't call him but I want to ugh I'm dumb....
    The first time is already one time too many. At this point it's a game of fool me once fool me twice....

Why bother with this drama when there are better men out there who won't act like this guy? At the end of the day, relationships aren't built on great times, but rather on how you handle your differences and arguments. He handles it in a way that is toxic to any long term relationship. Better that you recognize that and walk away now than stick around and get even more attached and it will become more toxic and even harder to walk down the road.

Not going to comment on your views about the virus and whether I agree with them or not. See? I may not agree with you, but I don't need to be a jerk to you about it and we are just strangers online. It would be easy for me to go off on you. Your SO should be even better to you than strangers, but this guy....is not...... That's why he is not bf material.

I agree that she should just let the boy-child block her while she blocks him back however: Enabling her selfish behaviour by not alerting her to it isn't in her best interests or the interests of those she may be subjecting to the virus. Girl needs to know that her behaviour is dangerous, selfish and she comes across as self interested by carrying on thinking that because it may not affect her much personally, she is not thinking of anyone else but herself.

How long have you been dating? How often are theses arguments? How old is he? This time he did you a favor in the sense that you don't have to be with someone this immature. Next time don't get in pissing contests and right-fight. If you precipitate fights by basically calling people stupid, expect a lot of guys to walk away. Don't date people whose go-to way of resolving things is blocking.
    Originally Posted by HelpGivens
    I was laughing and telling him I could just Google the information since he doesnít know anything. Hes blocked me once before over a dumb argument and Iím the one who came running back to him.

Do you usually get a positive response when you tell someone they don't know anything?

Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice