Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Really Dumb Argument

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by angrythoughts
    OP: ď I said I donít necessarily feel too concerned about the virus as the survival rate is good especially for someone of my age and health. Plus, I live alone and itís not like im endagering my parents, etc.Ē

She said sheís not concerned. She does not say she doesnít care at all. She also didnít say sheís gonna go outside and make sure she comes into direct contact with everyone she sees. Sheís not concerned. Not being concerned doesnít mean sheís taking zero precautions. Iím sure a lot of you guys are the ones that panic bought all the toilet paper (rude) and again, just because sheís not panicking and staying to a corner by herself in her apt (which she stated she lives alone in) doesnít mean sheís going out there and being reckless.

She asked for advice about her bf. I think it would be appropriate to keep outside opinions to yourself and stick to the topic of WHAT SHOULD SHE DO when it comes to her bf/relationship. Iím sure a lot of people are out of work until further notice and have the time today, but letís be nice and respectful.
    Well no -there's a huge gray area there. No I didn't panic buy. I've bought zero rolls of TP so far for example and no sanitizer.

It's not just about direct contact. I wish it were. It's about social distancing which we do not do in daily life. So it's about not getting too close to people on the street, in a store, not going to the beach or the gym if it happens to be open, not having your cleaning person come to your home if it's not an emergency, not meeting your friends for lunch even though you typically do. Her tone seemed to be more of the blithe, casual -well it doesn't affect me so I'm not going to give it much thought.

So please don't go to those "rude" extremes just like it was rude of people to buy up all the TP. I went shopping last week. A store employee carelessly coughed less than a foot from my loaded cart I'd just paid for (no panic buying -my son is now home full time from school so I need more food) - with a closed mouth. Had it been normal times I might not have noticed. But it freaked me out some - and I found it careless of her not to at least cough into her elbow or step further away -yes, even though her mouth was closed - right near all my food and not far from my body.

So it does take a lot of extra precautions -typically we're not in direct contact with a stranger. Social distancing requires more than that. We're not immunocompromised, neither is our son. But we're still doing our part.

I mean, the OP could be out and about, contract the virus, not display any symptoms, and give it to someone else without knowing.

And if one of my loved ones got sick as a result of someone else's carelessness, I'd be livid.

The thought of someone with a weakened immune system potentially getting sick from the virus (which can cause death) as a result of others not taking self-isolation seriously makes my stomach turn.

The way the OP phrased her original post makes it sound like she's trivializing the seriousness of the virus and how it impacts others around her.

It's one thing if you HAVE to go outside. But if you're going out just for kicks and to socialize, without regard to anyone else, I'd encourage you to reassess your values.

^^^Exactly. @Batya; @milly
    The guy on the news JUST this minute said "People are not taking social distancing seriously" If this isn't a time to give our opinion on what the Op said, I don't know what would be a good time.

Iím just saying she didnít say she was going out with any intention to gather in a large crowd. She asked for advice about her bf and every single person here is going on and on about the virus. We hear enough about it in the news and social media. Weíve heard it all at this point! To continuously make the poster feel like crap about her opinion towards a situation that has very little to do with what sheís actually asking about isnít all that helpful.

As for the seriousness of the COVID-19 and since I live in the current epicenter of the desease, have been on day 5 of voluntary confinement and absolutely determined to go fo another 10 days. Especially after what I witnessed today.

This morning, when I opened the curtains of my bedroom windows, I saw an ambulance with flashing lights and Belgian military number plates. I decided that it could be anything and better not jump to conclusions, so went on with my daily routine. A few minutes later I peeped through the window again while teeth-brushing and the scene was chilling: two male paramedics were almost dragging a young woman, who was folded in two and apparently too weak to walk by herself. The paramedics were fully covered head to toe with protection, very similar to the Ebola protection costumes that I saw on TV.

Another, apparently distraught man was following from a good distance of 10 meters the small group heading to the ambulance. He slightly waved his hand when the lady was dragged inside the ambulance. Maybe he was her husband. He was obviously too scared to get closer. Only when the ambulance was about to leave it occur to me to take a picture, here it is. If you zoom in you could see the military number plates and also the white protection cloths of the driver.

The last time the military was mobilised in Belgium was at the time of the terrorist attacks on the 22 March 2016. The comparison says it all.

[Register to see the link]

@angrythoughts: She came here for opinions. She may not like some of them though. You challenged an opinion so its you that is prompting the ongoing about the virus as we defend said opinion. If you'd like the discussion to stop, then stop bringing it up is all I can suggest otherwise, your defeating your own stance on the matter.

I don't get super turned on when someone who claims to love me tells me I don't know anything.

I imagine the OP's ex feels the same way.

@East14... Wow that is truly scary.

Originally Posted by ThatwasThen
    @angrythoughts: She came here for opinions. She may not like some of them though. You challenged an opinion so its you that is prompting the ongoing about the virus as we defend said opinion. If you'd like the discussion to stop, then stop bringing it up is all I can suggest otherwise, your defeating your own stance on the matter.
    Mmk, but the opinions are based upon the assumption that sheís being careless, to which I suggested that her lack of concern doesnít necessarily mean sheís being reckless.

Anywho, OP, couples fight and we say dumb things sometimes. Iím sure you came off as condescending and he got a offended. Even though you mightíve been joking around, he was seriously offended and Iím sure him blocking you was in spur of the moment/out of anger. Just be mindful of others feelings next time and try to be careful with your words.

This is definitely a dumb argument that Iím sure you guys will get over quickly. Just talk it out and apologize to him. Hopefully he also apologizes to you for handling something he didnít like by blocking you.

Yep. I do not wish to anybody to get to be dragged by military paramedics before the members of your family, who despite their love, would be too scared to approach you. I can only imagine how alone this poor woman must have felt.

I know it very hard to break our daily routine for an invisible enemy. But it is there and taking lives in real time

I am absolutely determined to do two weeks self-confinement and work from home, although it is not fun to be locked up in apartment. As far as toilet paper goes, I am OK. But yesterday I was up to a gruesome discovery that there is no more red wine left. For a couple of minutes I was debating if I could go shopping. What a pity to not be able to accompany the delicious lamb ragout with spinach I cooked with a glass of red wine. But then this glass of red wine may come at a steep price-my health/life and my loved ones. And since when am I a slave to my stomach?

So, I stayed home and settled for a Heineken.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice