Anger Issues

caitlin2000

so i’m 19 and basically all of my life i’ve always had anger issues. i’ve never physically taken it out on anybody (i.e. hitting and kicking), but i do verbally. i have depression, anxiety, bipolar, and add. thanks to medication, i am emotionally stable most of the time. but a couple times a year i’ll have a falling out and breaking apart stage that’ll last a few weeks. during those times i’d act so angry to my family. i’d pick fights, cry, give my family members nasty attitudes, and even throw things. i get so angry that i would hurt myself (scratching myself or pulling my hair). this also happens when i’m stressed out or dealing with change. last week my 14 year old sister and i had a fight. we argue all the time like normal sisters but a little more intense due to my anger issues. long story short she blocked me and said i’ll never change and she’s done with me. this is making me want to fix my anger issues and i have no clue how to, so i decided to ask for advice online. thank you if anybody responds.

How about making sure you take your medication as scheduled instead of only most of the time? Also, see a psychologist to help you understand how to exercise self-discipline, self-control and impulse control. Also, pause, think, wait and then if you must, react calmly and intelligently as opposed to becoming emotionally belligerent. Or, learn to walk away and not engage in fights.

You can't undo the past. All you can do is demonstrate the new you and your new, improved behavior.

Trust is extremely difficult if not impossible to regain. I'm not saying trusting you again isn't impossible. However, trust is very challenging to regain.

Once bitten, twice shy. This is how most people are. It's how I am with a lot of people who've burned me. I either sever ties with them completely to the point of permanent estrangement or enforce extreme boundaries with them. These are harsh consequences. Regrettable actions and words can never be taken back. Forgive? Yes. Forget? Never. :upset:

If you are taking medication, I assume you are under the care of a physician.

Explain to him/her what you wrote here, and ask for a referral to a mental health professional. If it's at the point where you're self-harming, you need the intervention of someone who is qualified and experienced.

How about making sure you take your medication as scheduled instead of only most of the time?

Did I miss something? Where did the op say medication was taken most of the time?

And not on schedule?

OP, it’s a great thing that you are motivated to change. Forget the past and concentrate on what you want for your future.

You are half way there just by the realisation!!

You need a second opinion and/or a review of your symptoms from a psychiatrist and ongoing therapy for support and objective symptom monitoring. You may be on a cocktail of medications that doesn't work or counteract each other too much. Your lifestyle and family dynamic may also contribute to poor symptom control.

i have depression, anxiety, bipolar, and add. i’d act so angry to my family. i’d pick fights, cry, give my family members nasty attitudes, and even throw things. i get so angry that i would hurt myself (scratching myself or pulling my hair).

Mental illness is forever changing. Medication needs to be adjusted/changed over the course of your life as well the need to regularly see a psychiatrist. You know when you are starting to see those changes in yourself, that's when you need to seek out additional help and not let it go so out of control, even if it's a few times a year.

Family dynamic may be a factor, but from my experience with a manic mother, it's usually the mental illness altering your perception of everyone and events around you.

Did I miss something? Where did the op say medication was taken most of the time?

And not on schedule?

OP, it’s a great thing that you are motivated to change. Forget the past and concentrate on what you want for your future.

You are half way there just by the realisation!!

Oops, I meant perhaps caitlin2000's medication needs to be adjusted. However, it's best to consult with a medical professional such as psychologist, psychiatrist, physician, therapist, etc.

thank you so much for the tips! i definitely agree with you about trust being extremely difficult to regain. I’ve had issues with my bio dad and even though he tried to work it out with me, I don’t think I can ever trust him again. But, I do want to try and I want to better myself!

Archived