Open Club  ·  87 members  ·  Free

Off Topic

Emotional support group Covid19

Seraphim

Yuck. 😷😱 Another 3 confirmed cases of coronavirus reinfection but with a different strain of the virus, which does not offer cross immunity.

🤔 Not sure why anyone is holding thier breath for a vaccine anytime soon rather than accept that this will be around for a while and the precautions will also be necessary for a while

They have also revised some behavioral risk factors. Interestingly, one of them is thinking it's everyone else's responsibility. So ironically the corona police are putting themselves at risk with all the finger pointing.

I'm awaiting the results of a covid test. I have low grade fever, congestion, cough, and sour throat. I recently had an outpatient surgery (abdomen) so the double whammy of dealing with 2 different things (surgical pain AND these symptoms) at once is something unique and also worrisome.

I'm awaiting the results of a covid test. I have low grade fever, congestion, cough, and sour throat. I recently had an outpatient surgery (abdomen) so the double whammy of dealing with 2 different things (surgical pain AND these symptoms) at once is something unique and also worrisome.

I hope you are ok Fudgie!!

Score, I'm negative. Still feverish, still coughing/congested , and I'm concerned one of my surgical sites is infected but I'll take ALL of that over covid. Mazel Tov! If I weren't on a bunch of meds right now, I'd have a strong drink!

That’s great! At least you got your results fast here is taken freaking nine days to get your results back.

I'm happy your test was negative. Hope you feel better soon.

I got my flu shot yesterday. I've gotten one every year except last year when I was sent on a work trip the very week they were doing the free flu shots. And for some reason I never got around to going and getting one. So of course I got sick. I am a big believer in flu shots, especially now.

That’s great! At least you got your results fast here is taken freaking nine days to get your results back.

Nope, 2 days max here. My insurance covers 100% and I also have an electronic app so the results are pushed to me immediately once completed. I'm finding that tests that have long wait times to get results occur because the tests have to be outsourced elsewhere. I'm lucky that the tests here are done locally because we have TONS of labs and they work around the clock now.

Got my flu shot last week and I'm glad for it. I'm hoping this cold is the worst thing I get for a long time.

Score, I'm negative. Still feverish, still coughing/congested , and I'm concerned one of my surgical sites is infected but I'll take ALL of that over covid. Mazel Tov! If I weren't on a bunch of meds right now, I'd have a strong drink!

Yes, mazel tov!! I'm happy for you and sorry you have a gross sucky cold. I hope it gets better soon and that you do not have an infection.

Thanks Batya. I'm doing good wound care and I think I've rounded the corner - the site looks better. I guess I just need to heal up. In the meantime, just lots of tissues, fluticasone, pseudophedrine, and water water WATER. Just hunkering down and trying to study. I voted by mail, guys, wake me up after Election Night is over cause I'm D-O-N-E with this nonsense and stress. Trying to focus on getting better.

Thanks Batya. I'm doing good wound care and I think I've rounded the corner - the site looks better. I guess I just need to heal up. In the meantime, just lots of tissues, fluticasone, pseudophedrine, and water water WATER. Just hunkering down and trying to study. I voted by mail, guys, wake me up after Election Night is over cause I'm D-O-N-E with this nonsense and stress. Trying to focus on getting better.

Oh yes -lots of stress! I have completed my absentee ballot and we will drop box it rather than mail because then I can track it. We can't on a practical level vote in person -long lines plus virtual learning plus covid = no practical way to be away for a huge block of time.

Has anyone thought in depth about what might happen long term with all of this? I spent some time really delving into it and to be honest, it got me quite depressed.

The facts are, there are hundreds if not thousands who refuse to follow guidelines, refuse to use masks, refuse to take any vaccines that might come out.

Also, this virus has shown to be tricky, there are cases of people being re-infected.

Because of the two issues above, how do we go about mostly getting rid of this virus? (I say mostly, because as we all know a virus is never totally eradicated).

History has shown that severe isolation is the most promising solution. If there are no hosts, the virus cannot keep moving and spreading. So for everyone to hunker down for a few months, might be the only chance we have. Because even if a vaccine does come out, again, hundreds, if not thousands will refuse it.

Herd immunity is a no go as well, due to the re-infections.

So what else is there?

Sorry to be dismal. I just have spent too much time in my head these last few days really thinking all of this through and to be honest, I don't see many solutions.

I also worry if this could possibly go on for years due to the two main problems above.

Thoughts?

Has anyone thought in depth about what might happen long term with all of this? I spent some time really delving into it and to be honest, it got me quite depressed.

The facts are, there are hundreds if not thousands who refuse to follow guidelines, refuse to use masks, refuse to take any vaccines that might come out.

Also, this virus has shown to be tricky, there are cases of people being re-infected.

Because of the two issues above, how do we go about mostly getting rid of this virus? (I say mostly, because as we all know a virus is never totally eradicated).

History has shown that severe isolation is the most promising solution. If there are no hosts, the virus cannot keep moving and spreading. So for everyone to hunker down for a few months, might be the only chance we have. Because even if a vaccine does come out, again, hundreds, if not thousands will refuse it.

Herd immunity is a no go as well, due to the re-infections.

So what else is there?

Sorry to be dismal. I just have spent too much time in my head these last few days really thinking all of this through and to be honest, I don't see many solutions.

I also worry if this could possibly go on for years due to the two main problems above.

Thoughts?

I'm hopeful that enough people will comply with a vaccine so there can be a gradual return to normalcy.

Cases are booming in my area. We are reaching a 2% infection rate, no signs of slowing down. The numbers are worse where my parents are. I'm scared for them. My family in Canada is in a hotspot and very at risk due to health issues. Scared.

We had a horrible time in spring. Our ICUs had hundreds of COVID patients. I am scared that it will be that bad again and that I could be pulled back to ICU. It almost happened last time.

I am seeing my doctor soon. I am wondering if I should start on an anti-anxiety med, something potent but short term, take on an as-needed basis. All of my dosages on my other meds are up. I don't know what else to do other than throw drugs at the problem.

We are far above 2% and our district -huge - tried to have reopening plans then scrapped them because of rising rates. We were glad; we'd opted for virtual anyway and now we're virtual till at least January. Here's what annoys me so much. A friend I respect and like has a special needs 7 year old. In our district. She works full time. When the school closed she put him at a center where they supervise virtual learning in a covid-safe environment. But the center couldn't deal with him because of the special needs. So they started looking at an excellent private school a distance away for special needs. They are open because they have so few kids per class (under 10 in a lot of cases) so of course social distancing is easier, etc. Our district when it was going to reopen was going to prioritize special needs/young kids like her son.

So now she's posted that our district really messed up because it couldn't get its act together so now she has to pay top $ for a private school. But that's just not true - her son couldn't function at the virtual learning facility without a one on one shadow which would have been just as or more expensive than private school. Even if school had reopened for special needs kids I'm sure the classes could have been far more crowded and of course many teachers would have refused to come back in person. I really can't stand her twisting the truth like that - it's not who I know her to be and it's unfair. I really don't like the lengths certain people will go to to revise the facts to suit themselves/their agenda.

We are currently at 3%. However, the health district admitted they effed up the reporting and are now catching up. So we weren't doing as well as reported over the past few weeks but we aren't doing as poorly as it looks now. Bottom line, we are doing much better than a few months ago. So I will stay in my little bubble and hope some people stop being stupid.

In my previous state, which relies heavily on tourism (it's really their only industry), they are doing badly. I worry about my friends who still live and work there. My previous workplace is reporting a frightening number of infections. Quitting that job was one of the best decisions I've ever made.

May all of you remain safe and healthy.