Open Club  ·  86 members  ·  Free

Off Topic

Emotional support group Covid19

Seraphim

That moment was a little profound for me.

Imagine if you in your declining years and wanting to squeeze every moment out of it. And this how you had to spend it.

I think of being decades younger and feeling that way. I cant imagine being her and her husband's age and watching this precious time wasted.

I know. It's hard not to judge with all the death and illness around.

Stuff like that makes me feel so thankful that my grandparents (I was close with them) are not alive today to see this mess. I miss them but wow, I'm glad they missed out. My grandmother in particular would have been so upset. Her family and friends were her life and she would have fallen into depression (she had it, plus anxiety, badly).

Stuff like that makes me feel so thankful that my grandparents (I was close with them) are not alive today to see this mess. I miss them but wow, I'm glad they missed out. My grandmother in particular would have been so upset. Her family and friends were her life and she would have fallen into depression (she had it, plus anxiety, badly).
I miss my mom like crazy and it feels weird to be thankful she's not here to experience this.

She had COPD and was almost routinely sick with a cold that often turned into pneumonia. I had to limit contact w her at times and we weren't even in a pandemic.

Looking back I'd go to her house straight from work. I was basically the only person who came in her home. With all this going on I often think I was unknowningly the carrier of all her mysterious colds.

I can only imagine I couldn't see her and this virus would have easily taken her.

I miss my mom like crazy and it feels weird to be thankful she's not here to experience this.

She had COPD and was almost routinely sick with a cold that often turned into pneumonia. I had to limit contact w her at times and we weren't even in a pandemic.

Looking back I'd go to her house straight from work. I was basically the only person who came in her home. With all this going on I often think I was unknowningly the carrier of all her mysterious colds.

I can only imagine I couldn't see her and this virus would have easily taken her.

Yes and I'm sorry you miss her and also shows what a bond you had (and have!). I think of my inlaws who passed away and am glad they're not experiencing this because they weren't well, they lived far from us (plane ride) and everyone would have been so anxious about how to get them what they needed, having others checking in on them, etc. My father in law just loved to shop -for food, for whatever. He would have hated not being able to shop when he felt like it -often he'd go with his jovial/loud cousin who's the best -it was a total outing for him. He'd hate being restricted.

I have ran the same thought about my mum , not so much my dad because he died when I was 26 , so a long time ago .

I have kinda ran pointless scenario's through my head of how I would of got to her and could I have brought her back to the city I live in and blah blah blah ...I couldn't of coped if my mam was frightened and I couldn't of done anything .

So I relate .

Are all your care homes suffering just out of interest ?
Yes. California. My son is a firemedic and that pretty much takes up his shift, transporting senior covid patients back and forth between convalescent homes and emergency rooms. They are treated like the 'hot potato game ". And passed back and forth. . Or worse

He has some sad stories

Yes. California. My son is a paramedic and that pretty much takes up his shift, transporting senior covid patients back and forth between convalescent homes and emergency rooms. They are treated like the 'hot potato game ". And passed back and forth. . Or worse.

I am sorry to hear that . So many have died alone here ...well when I say alone , the beautiful souls in the care homes have done their best and not literally left them alone ..but no family . It is what you described ..they go from the care home , to the hospital and back in March they just got sent back to the care homes with no test ... which then spread and spread .

There have been stories that have brought me to my knees :icon_sad:

Big respect to your boy reinvent .

Many of the care homes in my area have suffered outbreaks. The facility I work in (sort of half care home, half something else) hasn't had patient deaths but we've had cases, both patients and employees. In the US alone, over 100k COVID deaths have been patients in long term care/nursing home facilities. It's really heart-breaking.

My son has stories of convalescent care facilities dialing 911 because a resident has a fever. Mind you, drs aren't on site and nurses are following their orders that they call in

They transport an otherwise stable senior with a low grade fever to an overwhelmed ER only to be denied.

He shared that one day after 4 trips to the same place in one morning, everyone from nurses, drs, hospital and the fire dept personnel lost their sh*t and were are screaming at each other.

Meanwhile noone wants to take responsibility of these poor people who deserve some peace and dignity.

In my facility, if you are COVID+, you CANNOT, I repeat, CANNOT come back until you test negative. This is because we have so many vulnerable people and don't really have the isolation areas needed to keep COVID+ patients in.

If someone is having mild symptoms, I get a COVID+ test done on them, close their door/start precautions, and await results. Positive cases get shipped out IMMEDIATELY. Anyone with moderate/severe symptoms gets sent out immediately because my facility doesn't have the resources to handle that.

I get that the hospitals are crowded but I get angry when the hospital calls me and tries to get me to take them back. Thankfully, with our "no COVID+" rule, I can throw that policy out to them.

That story I shared was early pandemic where the protocols weren't enforced and everyone was either in panic mode or playing the "thats your problem" card.

But imagine these poor people being disrupted and driven around and no one one wanted them. Imagine if that was your mom or dad?

Things are more manageable now with protocols in place. . .and honestly the majority of the weak and vulnerable are gone.

Devastating times.

According to my brother the vaccine is made from dead babies *eyeroll* and claiming it's all a political stunt. Ugh conspiracy theorists at their finest...

Right. There will always be people who are unstable or act in an unstable way about whatever. I felt gross after my second of two shingles vaccines. Feverish, achey, ridiculously tired. I was thrilled to get it (it was in short suply and was new at the time, about 3 years ago) and never once attributed my side effects to some malfeasance on the part of the vaccine makers. I was a little surprised at how gross I felt but trusted that this was in the range of normal and within a day I was fine. And now I most likely cannot get shingles which is awesome.

I think it's a waste of time to read or repeat unstable reactions to these vaccines whether it's your family member or a facebook stranger.

The truth is, some vaccines do have side effects. It doesn't mean it's poisoning you, just your body's reaction to it as it has an immune reaction. I never feel good after the flu shot. No, the flu shot does not give me the flu but I usually get a sml fever and some body aches for a couple days. Whatever, it's worth it. I've had the flu and it SUCKS.

What we know about the covid vaccine, Oxford one I'm speaking of but also the others, is that it does come with some mild side effects. Headache, body ache, low grade fever, and general malaise have been reported. Guess what? Better than getting covid.

I swear, some of the adults I've seen locally crying about adverse effects of the pandemic precautions: tHiS MaSk tOO hOT, fLu vACcInE cAuSe OuCHy HeADhUrt

It's f'ing ridiculous.

Maybe I'm just cranky after a night of vodka and video games but Christ, before this pandemic, I never realized how many whiney, childish adults we have in this country. People crying about having to wear a mask to the grocery store and not being able to eat a cooked bird on one day out of the year with 50+ people in 4 different generations. , get over ourselves, I want to tell so many people to "suck it up buttercup".

I'm so desperate to get things back to normal safely. You could tell me that the vaccine was made of clubbed baby seals and misery and I'd still roll my sleeve.

• Like 1
The truth is, some vaccines do have side effects. It doesn't mean it's poisoning you, just your body's reaction to it as it has an immune reaction. I never feel good after the flu shot. No, the flu shot does not give me the flu but I usually get a sml fever and some body aches for a couple days. Whatever, it's worth it. I've had the flu and it SUCKS.

What we know about the covid vaccine, Oxford one I'm speaking of but also the others, is that it does come with some mild side effects. Headache, body ache, low grade fever, and general malaise have been reported. Guess what? Better than getting covid.

I swear, some of the adults I've seen locally crying about adverse effects of the pandemic precautions: tHiS MaSk tOO hOT, fLu vACcInE cAuSe OuCHy HeADhUrt

It's f'ing ridiculous.

Maybe I'm just cranky after a night of vodka and video games but Christ, before this pandemic, I never realized how many whiney, childish adults we have in this country. People crying about having to wear a mask to the grocery store and not being able to eat a cooked bird on one day out of the year with 50+ people in 4 different generations. , get over ourselves, I want to tell so many people to "suck it up buttercup".

I'm so desperate to get things back to normal safely. You could tell me that the vaccine was made of clubbed baby seals and misery and I'd still roll my sleeve.

LOL me too. Please know the side effects don't trouble me or concern me at all . What does concern me are the over the top fear mongerers and spreaders of fake news.

Don't forget the chip Bill Gates is going to implant when you get the vaccine. You know, to CONTROL you.

I too will happily get the vaccine. My cousin has Covid and my friend's grandmother passed away from it. I've seen the numbers. That's enough to motivate me to get vaccinated. I already got my flu and shingles vaccines.

LOL me too. Please know the side effects don't trouble me or concern me at all . What does concern me are the over the top fear mongerers and spreaders of fake news.

Haha yeah I get that. I know you are not worried about side effects. I hate the fear mongering I see a lot.

The fear mongering is insane. I know I'm apprehensive about having the vaccine, purely due to breastfeeding, however it's for the good of everyone. My brother drives me insane with his drivel. Here acting like we're worse off than America, saying it's media bs to control us... lmao.. anyways...

Hopefully they will have specific information for pregnant or breastfeeding mothers.

I know you are serious and I agree with you Fudgie, but I laughed reading your post because I could hear my moms voice in my head saying "they need to stop being wieners, the big apes!".

Yes, quite a lot of whiny wieners here too.

Well on that note I always hear the story about when my sister was 2 or 3 and they took her to the zoo and she saw a big ape and exclaimed something like It's Daddy!!!