Open Club  ·  87 members  ·  Free

Off Topic

Emotional support group Covid19

Seraphim

Oh of course!!! I just wanted to make sure since I don't have the context.

This is covid-related in the sense that it happened because of this pandemic. I've been messaging with a woman who lives near-ish to me. We have a lot in common and mutual friends. We wanted to meet and then the pandemic hit so lately we've been trying to figure out a way to do a socially distanced meet outside but our schedules haven't worked yet.

She asked me yesterday if she could meet up with me for a socially distanced walk -when I do my sunrise workout in the park which I've told her about "I could use some exercise and a nice walk sounds great." So ...... I don't have a minute to spare in the morning. I get out as soon as it's light enough and I have to get back right after to make breakfast for our son/husband is sleeping/start the day. It would be really stressful even to wait for five minutes especially since I can't have my phone on while everyone is asleep. But I really do want to meet her. Just not then -and it's not a "nice walk" -I'm at top speed,trying to exercise at the same time -core and leg lifts, etc - plus I love listening to the radio and zoning.

Anyway I could have made a million excuses. I could have pushed it off and been tentative. So many do that and hope the person won't ask again. Instead I was polite but direct and explained why it's my time. And the logistics. And offered alternatives when we could meet.

It felt great. It felt clean - and it felt good to put me first for that 35 minutes a day at sunrise that is all mine and that is essential to my sanity and health lol. She was totally fine with it and you know what-if she wasn't that's ok too.

It is very important to have Me time for sanity for sure.

It is very important to have Me time for sanity for sure.

Yes, even in normal times for me but now even more so plus I can't work out in our fitness room safely so the timing is even more restricted (I can go to the fitness room before dawn if I'm up, of course, but it's not yet open 24/7 again and i wouldn't go anyway especially if masks are required). It felt weird saying no and sharing my intensity of focus and the need for me time but it felt great afterwards. I hope you get your me time!

It's almost interesting to read how people are coping and what it is they need in order to try to maintain a healthy outlook and mental and emotional state.

I have way too much "me time". I live alone (with my cat) and since I am following the recommendations (because the spread is frightening in my county) I do not have any in person interaction with anyone other than my son once a week for 3 or 4 hours while I wash my laundry and the cashier at the supermarket ("Did you find everything you were looking for?" "Yes, thank you.") I left my friends behind when I moved to this state so I don't have anyone to meet up with for a "socially distant" walk. I could go visit my brother, who said I am welcome to, but technically that isn't allowed. I know he would let me but I would feel absolutely awful if I was somehow an unknowing carrier and gave it to him and my nephew.

So yeah, too much time alone in isolation. I do my best to keep healthy by messaging my friends who live far away. And I am attending virtual therapy sessions. I'm also job hunting so if I find a job I think it would help a lot by having in person interactions with coworkers (at a safe distance and while masked, of course).

This is so hard on all of us. We're all doing our best to get through it. I hope somehow, some way, we can get some form of "regular" life back in the next few months.

I haven't officially met up yet with anyone but I chat with some of my neighbors and I ran into a friend early on in March on the street so we chatted. I need me time because of my child mostly (and also my husband -love him to pieces and 24/7, well, you know!)

Bolt,

I am like you - live alone with a cat, no SO. I see my family sometimes (I must get tested for work regularly, and they are isolating) but overall, I'm isolated. I read more, play more video games, etc. I am drinking more now, a few times a week or so.

The isolation gets to me, I won't lie. But I don't see a real way out of this right now until the vaccine comes. I have no choice but to bury myself in schoolwork, solo hobbies, and alcohol and wait.

We drove 16 hours to another state with really low numbers.

My bf's best friend and wife have been isolating so they felt safe, based on our lifestyle to have us visit.

They live in a beautiful rural, wine country in Oregon. It's been really nice. But today's our last day.

Not looking forward to the drive and returning to staring at my lap top in my dining room.

We're getting ready to go for a hike and then back to bbq. I haven't watched the news in 4 days.

Wish we could stay longer a pretend none of this covid/political garbage was home waiting for us.

We drove 16 hours to another state with really low numbers.

My bf's best friend and wife have been isolating so they felt safe, based on our lifestyle to have us visit.

They live in a beautiful rural, wine country in Oregon. It's been really nice. But today's our last day.

Not looking forward to the drive and returning to staring at my lap top in my dining room.

We're getting ready to go for a hike and then back to bbq. I haven't watched the news in 4 days.

Wish we could stay longer a pretend none of this covid/political garbage was home waiting for us.

I love Oregon -we went to cannon beach years ago and maybe ashland?? (and portland too)

Ugh, 3 clusters of breakouts in my local big town now. We went there yesterday and caught up with a few friends.. I'm getting rather anxious about the cluster near me..

Off to visit my mum for a few days, I'm really hoping I haven't picked up the virus. I haven't been to any of these 3 places of clusters, but 1 is a supermarket apparently limited to staff, but contact tracing isn't really a thing atm especially not in supermarkets..

No.

He also has to self isolate 14 days before going.

Wow. I hope it's worth the benefits to all of you!!

My son bagged the intense virtual camp -two-week camp- 40 minutes in. Not a battle I was going to fight. Because (1) virtual is just a nonstarter for an intense educational camp on zoom -at least for him - despite the organizers/instructors being awesome - hats off to them; (2) it would have been tons of work for me both when he was online and digesting the material after the camp. Time I don't have and would do with all of my heart if it were school or he absolutely loved it. It was over for him when they wanted him to introduce himself -in person he would have, no prob, and virtually if it wasn't so crowded/formal but - nope. Yes we got a refund (very inexpensive as it was school-sponsored) and yes I'm glad he didn't embarrass himself or commit and then quit. I still feel sad, a mite guilty and a mite defensive although everyone understands!

Wow. I hope it's worth the benefits to all of you!!

My son bagged the intense virtual camp -two-week camp- 40 minutes in. Not a battle I was going to fight. Because (1) virtual is just a nonstarter for an intense educational camp on zoom -at least for him - despite the organizers/instructors being awesome - hats off to them; (2) it would have been tons of work for me both when he was online and digesting the material after the camp. Time I don't have and would do with all of my heart if it were school or he absolutely loved it. It was over for him when they wanted him to introduce himself -in person he would have, no prob, and virtually if it wasn't so crowded/formal but - nope. Yes we got a refund (very inexpensive as it was school-sponsored) and yes I'm glad he didn't embarrass himself or commit and then quit. I still feel sad, a mite guilty and a mite defensive although everyone understands!

Oh absolutely the benefits outweigh the bad.

I am sorry to hear about your son’s camp .

I can't figure out why people need to be told to wash their hands after using the toilet or before preparing food. Are those things people weren't doing before?? Grossssssss!!!

Also wearing gloves while preparing food in a restaurant or fast food place. Again, why was that not already a thing?

I get the work from home thing, sweats, etc. but why are people suddenly shopping in pajamas?🤔

Years ago I'm sure people asked why people were wearing leggings outside lol. I wear my loungewear to get my packages/mail in my building but not to go to a store. I do wear leggings outside to work out and if I had to go to a store after I would be wearing leggings in a store. Which to me look a lot like pajamas at times.

I regularly see people shop in pajama pants, both pre and post covid. I don't do it personally but I see it a lot. Maybe it's just my area.

Ugh...I'd rather see pajama pants. It's Texas heat of summer here and every year I see guys in the grocery store wearing those slim loose nylon shorts with nothing under them so you can literally see their package in detail.....nothing to show off either.....so I wonder if they just don't realize or don't care..... Happened just the other day. The clerk and I caught each other looking. After the guy walked away, we burst out laughing - he needs an extra mask a little lower down....

At least people around here seem to be compliant when it comes to masks and store managers seem to have some common sense. A lady didn't have a mask on - she needed to go into the store to get her masks purchased as she was completely out, so they gave her a free one so she could go about her business. Several other people also offered to go to their car and get her a mask. It was nice to see basic decency and common sense in action. When you see the news, seems crazy, then you go in your local community and it's a different story - one that doesn't make the headlines - people actually helping each other out, being kind, compassionate, considerate. I wish the news would focus more on that....but.....train wrecks get more clicks....or do they? I wonder sometimes if it's just what editors believe is true.

I love to see the good stories. World Central Kitchen is doing wonderful work. My city got hit hard by rioting and the next morning people showed up downtown with brooms and dust pans to help clean up, and people donated their services to help businesses rebuild. Children are bringing their piggy banks to donate to feed the unemployed. I love those stories and wish I could see more of them.

I find it upsetting that it's been this long and people still have trouble getting tests. I am tested for work regularly, for free. But now any person can go out and get a test where I am, courtesy of the state or many clinics. You don't even need symptoms.

I hear some good stories where I am but it doesn't help my pessimism. It feels like a lone flower on a huge, stinking pile of s___. As a healthcare worker with a lot of ICU experience, I could help out and do a lot of good. But I can't force myself to care anymore. I'm done. I do my job the best I can and go home.