Open Club  ·  88 members  ·  Free

Off Topic

Emotional support group Covid19

Seraphim

It's starting to seem like whack-a-mole reading about spikes and surges recurring.

Yes- definitely to those not personally affected in some way -or those who are able to compartimentalize, go about their lives - and to those of us who are it does help to lighten up sometimes. Some days and times it's so hard to do that.

Thanks for the kind words.

Pretty darn sure the funerals will be only for very immediate family. It makes sense. I would have liked to pay my respects though. I suppose it will be delivery to the families, thinking baskets with easy to grab and eat/drink things, and a card.

To sound less abstract, here are things I wonder about (alongside all the nitty-gritty fears and logistical concerns) these days:

Will office culture change, on the other side of this, becoming less stridently 9-5 and more flexible? Will less office space lead to more affordable housing? Will more affordable housing lead to less desperation and ire? Will more flexible work schedules lead to more intentionality in how people spend the precious currency of their time? Will people choose partners, say, so relationship harmony is not dependent, as I think it is in some cases, on spending as little time with another person as possible? Will people become a bit more conscious about what they eat, given that this virus is the product of a meat industrial complex? When the "little things" are all that can be savored for a good stretch—not weeks, not months, but longer—do they come to get reclassified, collectively, as the "big things"? Do we start to build systems that cultivate those little things, rather than push them to the periphery?

This made my head spin. I've been giving this some thought, but not to this degree. I already see the changes, but what I hadn't considered i the trickle down effect it has on everything it touches.

I guess I figured there would be alot of changes. . and some things would return to what we once considered normal. But now as more time goes by that looks less likely.

Just got out of a zoom meeting with an asset mgmt consulting team regarding giving up space in our leases. It's already a given our company will not return to what we've become accustomed to. I was convinced I'd be out of job at any minute. But now with the reduction of space, my work load will go way up in the coming weeks.

It's affected my friendships. People have become so divisive, whether it's their take on the pandemic or politics and in alot of cases, both. I've had to distance myself from some friends in hopes I can preserve them. Because for the meantime we are opposing teams. Or, we aren't living the same life style. The lines in the sand have been drawn pretty quickly.

I see romantic relationships thriving by being sequestered and the same amount of them have been challenged. My personal romantic relationship is good but I've limited the time we are together. As much as the isolation takes it's toll, I don't want to burn out my relationship.

Bringing a new baby granddaughter into the mix in a couple months and in the last couple weeks have lost a couple friends. Not to covid, but one to cancer and to one, unknown causes.

Today is my day to go into the office. I am typically the only here at this location, but 2 hours later I noticed an attorney locked in his office. It's like a weird dream we can't wake up from. It's so heavy sometimes it feels a somewhat crushing.

It's affected my friendships. People have become so divisive, whether it's their take on the pandemic or politics and in alot of cases, both. I've had to distance myself from some friends in hopes I can preserve them. Because for the meantime we are opposing teams. Or, we aren't living the same life style. The lines in the sand have been drawn pretty quickly.

I relate to this.

I think I have a different reaction from a lot of people which can be misinterpreted. I'm tired of explaining myself.

I'm so sorry for your losses, reinvent.

For all of what you are dealing with... it can feel like there isn't really room or time to process during this time, as curveballs keep coming.

I didn't know you are going to be a grandma! ❤️ Sending lots of good energy to that little love.

I am so sorry, IAG. :(

Honestly, at this point, if I had any COVID-deniers in my life, they would be gone at this point. I would forcibly remove them from my life. Thankfully, I don't have any of those people in my family or friends. Pretty diverse bunch too in terms of politics and other things but I guess this one thing that people in my life, even those who don't know science, agree on: wear a damn mask and take basic precautions. End of.

I accept at this point that people have different comfort levels than I do. Maybe someone is more comfortable with flying on a plane, I am not, but they may be. Fine - just wear a damn mask and don't be stupid. Don't stay for prolonged times in indoors with lots of other people more than you have to and DEFINITELY don't do that without a mask.

On another note:

My mental health is iffy again. Feeling lonely/anxious. My summer classes ended, I need my fall ones to start because I NEED to get my mind off things. I chewed some nicotine gum and it helped me relax a bit but obviously don't want to make a habit of it and get addicted. I really don't want to get a script for anti-anxiety meds. I think I can manage on my own for a bit but I need my classes to start.

With "reopening" it's bound to happen. People are traveling out of their home areas visiting family and getting together with friends. Someone in their group is infectious and passes it to someone in the gathering. They bring it home.

People interpret "reopening" as "the virus is gone" and behave accordingly.

I do think with such small numbers it will be easier to contact trace.

In my city where we have over 8500 cases? Not so easy. Which is why I stay in as much as possible.

With "reopening" it's bound to happen. People are traveling out of their home areas visiting family and getting together with friends. Someone in their group is infectious and passes it to someone in the gathering. They bring it home.

People interpret "reopening" as "the virus is gone" and behave accordingly.

I do think with such small numbers it will be easier to contact trace.

In my city where we have over 8500 cases? Not so easy. Which is why I stay in as much as possible.

This case they say is associated with travel and all contacts have been traced. And everyone they came into contact with and themselves are isolated . This is our 44th case .

Last Saturday was a "better" day for us. We "only" had 54 new cases. My city is up to 8775 total cases with 7455 recovered, 181 deaths and 89 currently hospitalized. Other than a really bad day on 7/16 , 7/22 and 7/27 we have been trending just a bit better than a month ago for the past 3 weeks or so.

It's such a beautiful day outside but I am staying in because my neighborhood is very popular and there's always a ton of foot traffic on the weekends. We have nice weather forecasted next week so I'll enjoy it on the weekdays. Safer at home and avoiding crowds and all.

All in all, I am very glad I returned to my home state. I can't even imagine being all alone in my previous state trying to deal with all of this. At least here I can have socially distant visits with family members. Previously the nearest family member lived 3 hours away.

I figured since I gave birth without anesthesia (TWICE!) and had a uterine biopsy (no anesthesia for that either!) I can handle the q-tip brain probe! I wish I had been given that kind of test. I feel they are more accurate than the throat swab I had done twice, but it wasn't an option for me.

70 cases is great for now. Especially in a province of 14 million.

Oh of course!!! I just wanted to make sure since I don't have the context.

This is covid-related in the sense that it happened because of this pandemic. I've been messaging with a woman who lives near-ish to me. We have a lot in common and mutual friends. We wanted to meet and then the pandemic hit so lately we've been trying to figure out a way to do a socially distanced meet outside but our schedules haven't worked yet.

She asked me yesterday if she could meet up with me for a socially distanced walk -when I do my sunrise workout in the park which I've told her about "I could use some exercise and a nice walk sounds great." So ...... I don't have a minute to spare in the morning. I get out as soon as it's light enough and I have to get back right after to make breakfast for our son/husband is sleeping/start the day. It would be really stressful even to wait for five minutes especially since I can't have my phone on while everyone is asleep. But I really do want to meet her. Just not then -and it's not a "nice walk" -I'm at top speed,trying to exercise at the same time -core and leg lifts, etc - plus I love listening to the radio and zoning.

Anyway I could have made a million excuses. I could have pushed it off and been tentative. So many do that and hope the person won't ask again. Instead I was polite but direct and explained why it's my time. And the logistics. And offered alternatives when we could meet.

It felt great. It felt clean - and it felt good to put me first for that 35 minutes a day at sunrise that is all mine and that is essential to my sanity and health lol. She was totally fine with it and you know what-if she wasn't that's ok too.