Open Club  ·  86 members  ·  Free

Off Topic

Emotional support group Covid19

Seraphim

You know those posts on here about toxic relationships? The ones where someone describes something or someone toxic, ends it, hits up the gym and therapist for three months, only to dive back into the toxic thing, utterly mystified that it remains as toxic as ever?

Well, that’s kind of how I feel with covid, speaking as an American living in America.

What I don't get is why people are surprised. Who thought the pandemic was over? Who thought encouraging people to crowd at retail locations, restaurants, bars, amusement places etc. was a great idea during a freaking PANDEMIC??

Now, I do have a ton of sympathy for business owners and their employees. I truly believe funds could have and should have been diverted to help people pay their rent or mortgages (and one measly deposit of $1200 isn't enough) and to provide food allowances for those who had been employed but were no longer due to shutdowns. But dead people cannot buy beer at a bar, cannot dine in at a restaurant, cannot go bowling, cannot go party at a club or go tubing at the river. And they cannot serve those who choose to patronize those businesses.

I don't have an answer. But I do know that no one can boost the economy from their deathbed or from the grave.

The mayor just basically told us it's up to us to make sure we don't contract the virus. No words about adjusting regulations except closing bars and closing the beach for 3 days. Yeah, that's going to do it! The virus will vanish because people didn't go to the beach for 3 whole days!

I saw a couple of posts on Facebook that basically said "no one I know has coronavirus, so for me it's just not real." Awesome.

Where in your country is the spike for you?

Alberta had a spike in cases, 78. And my province had an increase from 178 cases to 258. I can’t speak for Alberta but we are having three pockets of outbreak in our province. One in Windsor, one in Kingston and Brampton. Last week Kingston exploded with 25 cases. And the Windsor area exploded because of migrant workers that came into the area and caught Covid from one government Immigration agent that didn’t know they were sick.

We are down by 100 cases today thankfully. So my province is at 157 new cases today. Our country’s coronavirus team is no longer holding daily reports as the country has the pandemic under control. They will report though if there’s new developments. I believe the Prime Minister and the premieres are going to slow down on daily reports as well as they have been doing them daily for over 100 days. And our commercials have switched over from stay home to as we start back up. However the country’s Covid team has said to expect the second wave around September/ October.

Our province still has a state of emergency order until at least mid July. We will see if they extend it.

The EU won't admit US travelers. Here is the list of states on the travel advisory to states with decreasing cases.:

Alabama

Arkansas

Arizona

California

Florida

Georgia

Iowa

Idaho

Louisiana

Mississippi

North Carolina

Nevada

South Carolina

Tennessee

Texas

Utah

Good analogy. Yeah, the west and south US states are getting slammed with covid cases. Unfortunately in the 20 to 40 age groups. CA, despite early intervention is one of the states affected and sadly have to roll back.

Can't say I'm surprised. Ease up the on bars and restaurants and it's like the floodgates were opened. Young people going out to parties, packing themselves, no masks, etc. Terrible.

I get that people are bored at home, but is going out worth dying? Or worth bringing the virus home to a loved one? How awful would those people feel if they have to send Grandma or Mom or Dad or their kid sister or brother to the hospital to die?

I also don't get the vitriol with which people are expressing how very much they hate being home with their own children and spouse. If you despise spending time with them that much why did you marry that person and then procreate? And I don't mean the people who simply say they have cabin fever. I mean those that are practically screaming "get me away from my kids and my spouse! I can't take it anymore!"

That one guy the news interviewed summed it up..."No one I know has it so it's not real to me".

I had made some adjustments to my level of contact and made the choice to be around like minded friends. ( I thought ) We've golfed, sat in each others back yard, 6 ft apart. I've limited it to one or two people at a time and considered their life style and interactions with others. It wasn't often but maybe once a week and outside of just seeing my bf on weekends it was helping my mental outlook and I felt comfortable with my choices.

Well, that all fell apart last weekend.

I took Friday off to golf with my friend and after we met at her brothers house to use his pool.

(they weren't home) We are talking about the whole pandemic and it was only when I pressed her she admitted 8 of her coworkers had the virus. Now perfectly annoyed she didn't responsibly volunteer it, I don't trust her based on how she handled this. We've had several talks about it and I can't help but feel she's withholding that information to suite her own purposes.

I went by another friends house to go through the side gate and sit on her patio like we have. She's has a really conservative view on this whole thing and recently suffered a neck injury due to a car accident, so she basically hasn't left her home. I get there to find out her daughter has moved home to quarentine, seeing she was exposed at her work. Granted she was in the house, but why didn't she volunteer this info prior to me coming over? Add to that, she rents a room to another friends daughter who had left the day before to move in with her boyfriend to quarentine having been exposed at her work. Seriously?!

I have long time male friend who is a care giver to his 85 year old father who has mild dementia and (stable) bladder cancer. I went by there a week ago to sit on his patio and have a glass of wine and came home. Day's later he calls me to tell me one of his workers (house painters) tested positive. But the more I pressed for info, the more he couldn't keep his facts straight. He had called me on Friday when I was golfing with my friend to give me the news. On Monday he calls to say this guy is now clear? And the 2nd painter was tested and is negative? This all happened in less than two working days, yet Eddie says he can't get an appointment for test or can't tell me when it is. I firmly told him that his time line doesn't add up and someone isn't being transparent. I haven't talked to him since. He called me twice yesterday, but I didn't take his call. I love Eddie like a brother, but he has a rep for being a bit of a BS'er. I just don't trust what he's saying to me and getting alot of double talk.

My oldest son who's a firemedic who's been tranporting covid patients at work, who's department is experiencing their own exposures, with two in ICU and one on a ventilator, spent the entire weekend celebrating his birthday, at home with a couple dozen friends and bar surfing the following day in crowded beach community bars.

So that's it. . .Hard dial back to isolation. Outside of my bf, no more limited social activities, soley because I can't trust people to use minimal common sense and be transparant about what's going on in their lives or only to tell me after the fact.

Annoyed.

Oh wow. Just wow. I am so sorry you went through this. This reminds me of times people have been less than honest about being sick/family members being sick, etc when I had my infant during the H1N1epidemic plus you know -newborn/infant vulnerability to illness. I'm the one who tells everyone if my kid recently had a fever and when he got over it -in non-covid times -if we're going to be around them, etc. I really don't get this. What is wrong with people?

Well, to paraphrase Field of Dreams, if you open it they will come. Particularly if they are bored and tired of staying at home. And particularly if they don't know anyone who has Covid. If no one they know has it, no one has it!

The ones I don't get are the ones who know for a fact it's real but choose to behave recklessly anyway. Again, because they're bored.

Imagine how isolated they'll be when they're in the ICU on a ventilator and no one is allowed to visit them. Or when they contract a milder case and have to stay home completely alone without even being able to go to the supermarket.

Reinvent, I'm sorry about all of this. I hope everyone turns out to be healthy.

I don't understand the mindset of some people. After I was exposed to a coworker who tested positive, I told my family immediately and isolated myself. I couldn't imagine withholding that info within the 2 weeks and visiting someone. If I didn't want to volunteer that info, fine, but I wouldn't be going out to see people!

Christ, I hate this.

I don't understand the mindset of some people. After I was exposed to a coworker who tested positive, I told my family immediately and isolated myself. I couldn't imagine withholding that info within the 2 weeks and visiting someone. If I didn't want to volunteer that info, fine, but I wouldn't be going out to see people!

Christ, I hate this.

My mother-in-law and sister in law had the test and told us they had a negative test so we went saw they ( a month ago) and then told us they lied and were still awaiting results as we left. :/

My mother-in-law and sister in law had the test and told us they had a negative test so we went saw they ( a month ago) and then told us they lied and were still awaiting results as we left. :/

Wow...did they say why they chose to lie?

My brother wants to come visit me but he (sheepishly) admitted he hasn't been practicing safe behaviors. He traveled 3 times (!) in the past month or so and has gone to restaurants (!!) and one gathering (!!!). I told him he can come but he will be sitting far away from me and he must wear a mask.

I'm considering trying to transfer to a location that is close to him. I would like to move back into his home and considered asking him. I know he would say yes, but I decided not to because having to go to work in a very crowded building would put me at risk and in turn, would put him and my nephew at risk. I can't do that to them.

Wow...did they say why they chose to lie?

My brother wants to come visit me but he (sheepishly) admitted he hasn't been practicing safe behaviors. He traveled 3 times (!) in the past month or so and has gone to restaurants (!!) and one gathering (!!!). I told him he can come but he will be sitting far away from me and he must wear a mask.

I'm considering trying to transfer to a location that is close to him. I would like to move back into his home and considered asking him. I know he would say yes, but I decided not to because having to go to work in a very crowded building would put me at risk and in turn, would put him and my nephew at risk. I can't do that to them.

I am sure it is only because my MIL wanted to see us and that is all. 😡 Thank GOD they didn’t have it and I had seen my mother at a distance before we saw them. You are so kind to consider your family.

Having a rough day, today. My dog died last week, and our weather is stormy, my work chaotic, and I'm feeling discouraged and disconnected from life in general. I know the feeling will pass. I'm grateful for all that is good, but am feeling a bit lost... Socializing feels trickier now that things are opening up and summertime has arrived.

Having a rough day, today. My dog died last week, and our weather is stormy, my work chaotic, and I'm feeling discouraged and disconnected from life in general. I know the feeling will pass. I'm grateful for all that is good, but am feeling a bit lost... Socializing feels trickier now that things are opening up and summertime has arrived.

I am so sorry for your loss, and the rest. I wish you all the best and hope things improve.

I am sorry about your pupper. :(