Open Club  ·  88 members  ·  Free

Off Topic

Emotional support group Covid19

Seraphim

Can I rant for a minute?

We've had a big outbreak here locally, within a healthcare facility - all staff! Yikes! And guess, what people are still having these stupid parties! I got invited to one recently - with some people (again, staff) who work in the same place at the outbreak. They are aware of the outbreak too but apparently they don't care because here they are planning a party.

It drives me INSANE.

If I were God, I'd dunk this earth in some rubbing alcohol and start again. Clean slate.

Can I rant for a minute?

We've had a big outbreak here locally, within a healthcare facility - all staff! Yikes! And guess, what people are still having these stupid parties! I got invited to one recently - with some people (again, staff) who work in the same place at the outbreak. They are aware of the outbreak too but apparently they don't care because here they are planning a party.

It drives me INSANE.

If I were God, I'd dunk this earth in some rubbing alcohol and start again. Clean slate.

Oh Fudgie that is so incredibly annoying. I'm sorry. I cannot imagine.

Oh Fudgie that is so incredibly annoying. I'm sorry. I cannot imagine.

One of my friends (again, relevant staff member as I am also a relevant staff member, but she works in the outbreak facility whereas I am working elsewhere) invited me to a party at her place. Indoors, no masks, no social distancing, eating/drink alcohol. Bluntly, everyone invited works in healthcare so we all should know better! But nope, guess not. We talked and she revealed to me that she knows about the work outbreak. I talked about a recent oubreak in our area due to a wedding. "Oh that's sad" but then asked "It's a shame you can't come to the party".

This is why things aren't getting better. This is why cases are spiking. For parties?!?

My cousins have planned the yearly family Christmas get together. Acting like it's fine for 6 households/6 families to gather in a small-ish house to hug, share food and open gifts together. They seem to think the virus will skip over us because we're related.

I already told them I will not be attending.

My cousins have planned the yearly family Christmas get together. Acting like it's fine for 6 households/6 families to gather in a small-is house to hug, share food and open gifts together. They seem to think the virus will skip over us because we're related.

I already told them I will not be attending.

Don't you know, you can't pass on the virus if you share DNA. :upset:

That is so high risk, boggles my mind.

One of my friends (again, relevant staff member as I am also a relevant staff member, but she works in the outbreak facility whereas I am working elsewhere) invited me to a party at her place. Indoors, no masks, no social distancing, eating/drink alcohol. Bluntly, everyone invited works in healthcare so we all should know better! But nope, guess not. We talked and she revealed to me that she knows about the work outbreak. I talked about a recent oubreak in our area due to a wedding. "Oh that's sad" but then asked "It's a shame you can't come to the party".

This is why things aren't getting better. This is why cases are spiking. For parties?!?

So there was a post on one of my mom FB groups. She attended a 60 person wedding. She flew there and took a covid test before she left I believe. She attended the wedding then found out she was positive -sounds like she didn't get it at the wedding but of course she was positive at the wedding. So she texted the bride when she found out to let her know she might have infected others. She then quarrantined out of town -so she didn't infect others. The bride was mad at her for disturbing her at her honeymoon. The guest made clear that she didn't think she contracted it at the wedding. I don't know - I mean I also would have called the wedding venue (she didn't know the bride/groom parents so that she wouldn't need to bother the bride). Now if it were me I wouldn't have gone. No way.

My son's religious school is having a socially distanced small group outdoor gathering in a few weeks so the students in his grade can meet each other in person -it's all been virtual and it's a new program. I know I know -outdoors, distanced, etc -but you know what. Not worth it. 45 minute gathering, 15 minute drive each way where he'll have to be focused on staying distant. I mean it's "safe" but since I know of too many examples of hypocrisy (meaning parents who post ad nauseum about wearing masks and yet I know they do unsafe gatherings, etc) I'm just not taking the chance.

My friend's daughter got covid from her college roommate. The roommate invited her to a crowded bbq. Daughter said no thanks. Roommate went, brought home covid. As daughter said "I got it from a party I didn't even go to!!"

My friend's daughter got covid from her college roommate. The roommate invited her to a crowded bbq. Daughter said no thanks. Roommate went, brought home covid. As daughter said "I got it from a party I didn't even go to!!"

Prime example of how other people's choices affect others, not just themselves, in this pandemic. It's not like a lone adult who goes off and uses drugs/alcohol/parties/eats fast food all the time but can say "Hey, MY BODY MY CHOICE" and that's fine - adults are free to make their own bad choices when they are the only ones to bear the consequences. Not so with COVID-19. Now you can get your roommates, coworkers, family, or friends very sick without them making the same choices. It's scary.

Batya, did you hear about the Maine wedding? It was a few months ago, during the summer, but it is now connected with 7 deaths. This was discovered via contact tracing. None of those dead were attendees at the wedding. So someone's p__spoor choice to go to an indoor wedding without precautions during a freaking pandemic led the deaths to 7 innocent people who didn't do such a stupid thing.

It drives me crazy! (Can you guys tell I'm struggling with anxiety? I'm in my anger phase right now)

Ugh Fudgie, how stressful having to work with people who are out to lunch!

I know, right! I want to shake them and say "WE ARE STILL IN A PANDEMIC". I get wanting things to go "back to normal" but they clearly can't get. France and Germany just instituted new lockdown measures because they are having spiking cases.

Prime example of how other people's choices affect others, not just themselves, in this pandemic. It's not like a lone adult who goes off and uses drugs/alcohol/parties/eats fast food all the time but can say "Hey, MY BODY MY CHOICE" and that's fine - adults are free to make their own bad choices when they are the only ones to bear the consequences. Not so with COVID-19. Now you can get your roommates, coworkers, family, or friends very sick without them making the same choices. It's scary.

Batya, did you hear about the Maine wedding? It was a few months ago, during the summer, but it is now connected with 7 deaths. This was discovered via contact tracing. None of those dead were attendees at the wedding. So someone's p__spoor choice to go to an indoor wedding without precautions during a freaking pandemic led the deaths to 7 innocent people who didn't do such a stupid thing.

It drives me crazy! (Can you guys tell I'm struggling with anxiety? I'm in my anger phase right now)

I know, right! I want to shake them and say "WE ARE STILL IN A PANDEMIC". I get wanting things to go "back to normal" but they clearly can't get. France and Germany just instituted new lockdown measures because they are having spiking cases.

Yes I did! And a sweet 16 super spreader party in NY!

This crap drives me nuts . I know somebody who has parties every single Saturday night and there are actually snitch lines to report on your neighbours . I would love to report her ass. The only thing I do that’s kind of remotely dangerous is of course run my daycare. Other than that pretty much the only place I go is the grocery store.

This crap drives me nuts . I know somebody who has parties every single Saturday night and there are actually snitch lines to report on your neighbours . I would love to report her ass. The only thing I do that’s kind of remotely dangerous is of course run my daycare. Other than that pretty much the only place I go is the grocery store.

You're right - daycare is risky, sure. But it's necessary, you are providing for your family and enabling other people to provide for theirs. If you didn't care for their kids, then those parents couldn't put food on the table. You're essential. You do what you can to stay safe but yes, there is still a risk, but I suppose there's risk for everything now (other kinds of work, going to the grocery store, etc.)

But no one needs to party. No one. It's completely non-essential. And that's what bothers me - risking people's life for parties. And let's be honest, the part of the wedding that is causing the illness is the reception/PARTY part, not the ceremony. If people in a hot spot had a burning desire to get legally married, they could do so safely. In my state, you can get married with a justice of the peace over Zoom now, and yes, it's a legal marriage! But nope, gotta have that party too and apparently it just can't be postponed OR done in a way that doesn't involve mask-less people breathing on each other!

Good God, I need a drink. I just want to THROTTLE some of my friends.

You're right - daycare is risky, sure. But it's necessary, you are providing for your family and enabling other people to provide for theirs. If you didn't care for their kids, then those parents couldn't put food on the table. You're essential. You do what you can to stay safe but yes, there is still a risk, but I suppose there's risk for everything now (other kinds of work, going to the grocery store, etc.)

But no one needs to party. No one. It's completely non-essential. And that's what bothers me - risking people's life for parties. And let's be honest, the part of the wedding that is causing the illness is the reception/PARTY part, not the ceremony. If people in a hot spot had a burning desire to get legally married, they could do so safely. In my state, you can get married with a justice of the peace over Zoom now, and yes, it's a legal marriage! But nope, gotta have that party too and apparently it just can't be postponed OR done in a way that doesn't involve mask-less people breathing on each other!

Good God, I need a drink. I just want to THROTTLE some of my friends.

Exactly. My best friend’s daughter is getting married mid November because they had to cancel their wedding because of Covid. But they are going to be the only two at the officiant’s house. They are saving their reception for post Covid times. The bride is also pregnant so she wants to be married before her baby comes in March.

Exactly. My best friend’s daughter is getting married mid November because they had to cancel their wedding because of Covid. But they are going to be the only two at the officiant’s house. They are saving their reception for post Covid times. The bride is also pregnant so she wants to be married before her baby comes in March.

Yeah that makes total sense. Save the party for a later date when it's safe but you can definitely get legally married safely in a lot of areas.

Yeah that makes total sense. Save the party for a later date when it's safe but you can definitely get legally married safely in a lot of areas.

Yes, totally agree. Parties are not essential. One of my newer friends won't have her adult son come visit -because he does hot yoga at an indoor studio every week -more than once a week. They wear masks but still. She is higher risk.

I'm "allowed" to remove my mask at work. We're only required to wear them if we are walking around or if we need to go speak to a coworker in their work area.

I leave mine on all the time except when I'm eating lunch at my desk.

So I'm now teleworking 100% up from 75% pre covid. We're allowed to go into the office but they prefer essential workers only. I'm not one. Anyway I like how they do things - masks can't be required (for reasons I will not get into) but - they are strongly encouraged, the encouragement includes "please never put someone in the awkward position of having to feel uncomfortable or keep their distance from you" and they have lots of PPE available all the time for anyone who needs it. You don't have to wear a mask in your own office with the door closed (I have an office). So if/when I go back if we're still in the pandemic - I will probably keep it on even in my office since I'm the one who visits the restroom fairly often and I hate fiddling with my mask. I really like the "don't let anyone feel uncomfortable around you" -I like the compassion/thoughtfulness in that statement, a lot. We have a break room with a water cooler but no coffee - so people do go in there for water and in the past, to eat lunch (I always eat in my office) but my guess is no longer. It will be months before I return most likely but I'm feeling good about that possibility given the rules and the vibe. I really can't stand places -especially -work places - that don't have this vibe.

I saw something yesterday when I went to drop off my ballot. Something I expected to see, TBH. A supporter of a certain politician wore a hat naming that politician at the polling place, which is not allowed because it's considered electioneering. So this supporter took off the hat but carried it in their hand, clearly showing the name of the politician. This person also attempted to drop off a ballot for someone else without getting the required signatures. This person complained and complained but the poll workers (to their credit) didn't back down. This person was also unmasked despite masks being mandatory. I feel for the poll workers who are volunteering during this pandemic, but also admire them for their bravery and dedication to doing their part to ensure voting takes place fairly.