Open Club  ·  88 members  ·  Free

Off Topic

Emotional support group Covid19

Seraphim

I have a family member now in ICU in a coma due to Covid and other family members who are waiting for tests results.

I wished people would take this more seriously on how bad it's becoming.

My friend watched her mother die a few weeks ago, again due to Covid. It's becoming alarming.

I'm so sorry. Was there a large gathering of family??

I'm so sorry. Was there a large gathering of family??

No, that's what's even more frightening. They were not together.

It was two different individuals that contracted it outside the home. (could have been school, work, stores)...not sure on the exact location. But these 2 people were in different cities. They went home to their families not knowing they had been exposed and it spread to other family members in two separate homes. They both contracted Covid within two weeks of one another and both had been trying to only go to places that were only absolutely necessary.

One is now in the ICU, the other is showing symptoms as is other family members but just waiting to see....

Thank you, reinvent.

This come right after one of our main hospitals shut down due to Covid running rampant through it like wildfire.

But it's now shut down as they keep finding more and more Covid cases in all areas of the hospitals.

In my city in particular, it's getting to be quite bad. Months back, it was only strangers we heard of that had Covid, now it's coming closer and closer and it's now neighbors, family members, friends etc.

That's the thing. I swing to the conservative side and sometimes feel I need to defend why I turn down an invitation. At the same time I only know second hand that someone they know has had it. No one I know personally, but I'm still not taking a chance.

A lot of us can say the same but I think this backlash is going to hurt. Meanwhile I'll continue to lay low.

I've had health issues. Some will be life long challenges for me. It doesn't put me at higher risk. It just gives me a different appreciation for staying healthy, I suppose.

Keeping you and your family in my thoughts. . .

That's the thing. I swing to the conservative side and sometimes feel I need to defend why I turn down an invitation. At the same time I only know second hand that someone they know has had it. No one I know personally, but I'm still not taking a chance.

A lot of us can say the same but I think this backlash is going to hurt. Meanwhile I'll continue to lay low.

I've had health issues. Some will be life long challenges for me. It doesn't put me at higher risk. It just gives me a different appreciation for staying healthy, I suppose.

I felt the same at one time...I knew Covid was bad, but it seemed far off, someone else's family. Not me, not my loved ones. But here it is now on my doorstep.

All it takes is being exposed in one place and not realizing.

I don't feel masks are enough. My father in law said it perfectly, the virus is airborne and if your eyes aren't covered, you may as well not wear a mask.

I think the shields some wear truly are the safest right now.

I know my family is not irresponsible but Covid seems to be lurking everywhere right now and all it takes is one unlucky step.

Humans seem to be like that though, it doesn't seem real unless it happens to them and of course no one ever thinks it will happen to them...until it does. :(

I agree, eye protection is so important. This virus is so contagious. However, it's so hard to get proper eye protection for many. I have a shield that I use at work and wipe down but I'm going to start wearing it to the grocery store if I have to.

At this point in the pandemic, in many communities, contact tracing is useless. The virus is spreading at such a rate that tracing is largely useless. It's so widespread, it's hard to know WHERE it came from.

I really hope your family is going to be okay, Sher.

I agree, eye protection is so important. This virus is so contagious. However, it's so hard to get proper eye protection for many. I have a shield that I use at work and wipe down but I'm going to start wearing it to the grocery store if I have to.

At this point in the pandemic, in many communities, contact tracing is useless. The virus is spreading at such a rate that tracing is largely useless. It's so widespread, it's hard to know WHERE it came from.

My son wears a shield so his eyes are protected.

Thank you.

It's going at an alarming rate, so much so then I think people realize.

All it takes is being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

OMG!!!! I'm so sorry that happened. I'm actually very careful about what I say and how I say it. How awful.

Thanks Batya

I am careful as well ...least said soonest mended as my mother would say . I keep my head down , usually cos I can't see lol I haven't mastered the art of mask and glasses and no steamed lenses , and try and get in and get out without any drama . I am actually exempt from mask wearing , I have my Sunflower lanyard to show I have a hidden illness ( the brain stuff and OCD ) But I daren't go without one .

Sometimes you can end up having little nice exchanges with people , like both walking the same way then laughing and saying something like ( can you believe it has come to this ) as you both move 4 aisles out the way and on the whole most seem to be as conscious of it as I do ...well I say that , I admit I am extreme ..I have OCD ...It was never gonna go down well was it lol The OCD all but had a party in my head when this all started . :eek::D

Exactly and I hate to sound like a broken record but you can you see why I am so ...so ...well confused how we can relax the rules for 5 days over Christmas for 3 families ...what an earth is this going to do .

Well my payers as always go out to everyone , everywhere and particularly right now to sherry's family members and bolts cousin . Shocking to have that worry , it makes me feel sick.

My bfs parents drove into town from another state and will stay w him for a week.

They are one of the many reasons we choose to limit what we do. They are in their 80s and his Dad is 87 and has COPD.

S typically goes to their home in another state one week out of each month to check on them.

To look at of this through the eyes of an 82 year woman who passionately pleads for every one to put in the effort.

"I don't have 2 years of my life to give up for this"

I don't get it either, pippy. I get "covid fatigue" but this virus isn't going away yet. It doesn't take breaks so why should we until it's under control?

It was buzzing on all the morning debate shows and a lot of people are against it and a lot of people are very confused ...

example - one lady rang in ....she lives with her partner , child with him and child with her ex ..so that's a family of 4 , so they will bubble on Christmas day with her parents and her partners parents .

but

On Boxing day ( 26th) the child with her ex will then go to the exes aka her daddy , who is with his partner and will have both sets of parents in his bubble .

So that little girl in the space of two days has mixed with -inclusive of who she lives with - 6 families ...

Or a family could have 9 members under one roof , mixing with two other households with as many .

Oh brain ache fudgie ..complete brain ache

My bfs parents drove into town from another state and will stay w him for a week.

They are one of the many reasons we choose to limit what we do. They are in their 80s and his Dad is 87 and has COPD.

S typically goes to their home in another state one week out of each month to check on them.

To look at of this through the eyes of an 82 year woman who passionately pleads for every one to put in the effort.

If that sentence doesn't get through to people , then noting will ...awful for her .

But it's not about giving up 2 years just modifying how you spend time together. My mom doesn't have a computer/can't face time etc which is frustrating and she says she misses us of course -we saw her last December and February- but her plan is next summer after there is a vaccine (meaning she thinks there will be and she will get priority given her age) she might go visit her great grandchildren in another state. I'm so glad she's being careful and cautious -and -she is 85 and since March her senior citizen activities went online/by phone, and weather permitting she walks a mile a day with her friend (masked/distant) then they go to the local sitting area in their apartment complex (it's not a senior citizen complex -for everyone) and a group of people sit on park benches, distanced and masked and chat. For a few hours. She's having a good time but she's done her best to adapt . I'm proud of her.