Open Club  ·  88 members  ·  Free

Off Topic

Emotional support group Covid19

Seraphim

I asked my doctor about doing a mammogram but she said it's not done regularly until age 40. I've only had one case of breast cancer in my family (old age, improper use of estrogen, resolved quickly with some radiation) so I'm not too worried but if told to get one now, I would.

I can't do a self breast exam. I'm one of those women that have those tiny little cysts all over on the inside Benign, no increased risk of cancer but yeah, I'm full of "lumps". Give me a yearly or semi yearly mammogram anyday

So one reason I do a self exam is to know my body -I'm not lumpy but this way I'm more likely to know if there's any change. Also part of the self exam looks for discharge etc (which I have never had). I was supposed to start at 40 but started early because of the slightly higher risk (my cousin's family had no history and of course it could have come from the "other side" of the family).

I asked my doctor about doing a mammogram but she said it's not done regularly until age 40. I've only had one case of breast cancer in my family (old age, improper use of estrogen, resolved quickly with some radiation) so I'm not too worried but if told to get one now, I would.

I can't do a self breast exam. I'm one of those women that have those tiny little cysts all over on the inside Benign, no increased risk of cancer but yeah, I'm full of "lumps". Give me a yearly or semi yearly mammogram anyday

They told me mine are dense and fibrous.

I've noticed in my state they start dropping hints of different orders days before enacting them.

I've decided it's the governor's a way of getting us to consider the possibilities instead of the shock and surprise of suddenly being locked down w/o notice.

They imposed stay at home orders for a couple counties and now the daily grumbles of a state wide shut down looming.

My son in a neighboring county already shut down. ( I can literally drive 2 miles to cross counties) He said the hoarding already started last week.

As much as I hate being a shut in, I just can't wrap my head around having to stand in line in the dark to wait to get into a market just to leave empty handed.

I hope it doesn't come to that again.

It's such a helpless, vulnerable feeling.

I've noticed in my state they start dropping hints of different orders days before enacting them.

I've decided it's the governor's a way of getting us to consider the possibilities instead of the shock and surprise of suddenly being locked down w/o notice.

They imposed stay at home orders for a couple counties and now the daily grumbles of a state wide shut down looming.

My son in a neighboring county already shut down. ( I can literally drive 2 miles to cross counties) He said the hoarding already started last week.

As much as I hate being a shut in, I just can't wrap my head around having to stand in line in the dark to wait to get into a market just to leave empty handed.

I hope it doesn't come to that again.

It's such a helpless, vulnerable feeling.

Honestly, I'm glad for such hints. I couldn't imagine having children and wondering if the schools will shut suddenly within the next few days. I keep a VERY close eye on local news and I am in contact with a few coworkers who have kids. They don't follow local news as closely as I do so when I see the "hints", I tell them so they can be prepared, make childhood arrangements.

In March, I felt it was pretty clear from "hints" that the schools would shutter about 5 days before. It gave some coworkers time to try and line up childcare options.

My cousin is likely to be going home today. She is getting better every day. She said she is going to return to work despite the fact that the company's lack of disclosure of the outbreak there caused her to be infected. Sadly she has no choice because she can't afford to not work. She said at least she won't have to worry about getting Covid because she already had it.

It makes me sad that people are having to make these kind of decisions...stay home to avoid getting infected and you can't feed your family, or go to work to support your family and risk becoming seriously ill.

My cousin is likely to be going home today. She is getting better every day. She said she is going to return to work despite the fact that the company's lack of disclosure of the outbreak there caused her to be infected. Sadly she has no choice because she can't afford to not work. She said at least she won't have to worry about getting Covid because she already had it.

It makes me sad that people are having to make these kind of decisions...stay home to avoid getting infected and you can't feed your family, or go to work to support your family and risk becoming seriously ill.

I am glad she is getting better. Yes, it is a scary world right now. I can’t wait to close for Christmas break. Kids are so germy. 🤦♀️

Honestly, I'm glad for such hints. I couldn't imagine having children and wondering if the schools will shut suddenly within the next few days. I keep a VERY close eye on local news and I am in contact with a few coworkers who have kids. They don't follow local news as closely as I do so when I see the "hints", I tell them so they can be prepared, make childhood arrangements.

In March, I felt it was pretty clear from "hints" that the schools would shutter about 5 days before. It gave some coworkers time to try and line up childcare options.

So far we've been virtual the entire time -it's hard but the consistency helps!

So far we've been virtual the entire time -it's hard but the consistency helps!

I imagine. The hybrid learning bit is difficult here, many students in my area, until recently, were doing the hybrid model. Then of courses, cases shot up and a lot of schools doing that closed. Would be better just to have the consistency, I think, for many students. One notable exception being, however, students from cruddy family situations with their basic needs going unmet and possible abuse going on at home. These particular students have suffered the most from schools being shut down.

Our food pantries here are getting really overrun. Lines of people needing food stretching down blocks. We've always had a lot of poverty here but COVID made it worse for so many people and many who weren't impoverished before are now.

Our food bank is really struggling too. They are desperate for volunteers and donations. Those asking for food has skyrocketed, while donations being down at the same time.

It's so bad that they don't even have enough volunteers to do the processing for new volunteers without a wait time.

And they've had to ration the food to once monthly, instead of every two weeks. Also the amount given is less.

No one ever has to explain their situation though, anyone with a health card who is asks is given food.

I had a family member call to chat and she's like "Christmas is cancelled! We can't do anything anyways!".

Naw. Christmas is never cancelled. In dark times is when we do something different, but the spirit of looking out for one another is what matters most. And we need that more than ever.

Wasn't that the lesson of Dr. Seuss' The Grinch? Everything was taken away but they still had each other. Holidays are manifested through time with loved ones, not the presents, food, or decorations.

I will be alone this year for Christmas but I can still call/video chat my parents and we can still be together.

I imagine. The hybrid learning bit is difficult here, many students in my area, until recently, were doing the hybrid model. Then of courses, cases shot up and a lot of schools doing that closed. Would be better just to have the consistency, I think, for many students. One notable exception being, however, students from cruddy family situations with their basic needs going unmet and possible abuse going on at home. These particular students have suffered the most from schools being shut down.

Our food pantries here are getting really overrun. Lines of people needing food stretching down blocks. We've always had a lot of poverty here but COVID made it worse for so many people and many who weren't impoverished before are now.

Yes -so kids with special needs, kids in bad situations! (our child has to deal with us giving him gum that isn't his favorite, sometimes being told to finish his breakfast yogurt -for digestive reasons - and having to wait to have ice cream till after dinner .... this kid suffers!!) - and very young kids -this just isn't good for him. He's in 6th grade, new school (newly renovated school he's never seen), but he's internally motivated, respectful to his teachers/peers (basically always has been - couple of hiccups when he was ages 3-5 - meaning he gave his teachers a hard time) - and my husband is taking on the role of helping him with homework, time management, developing good study habits. It's better for him to do it- he's more patient with him than I am (even though I used to teach k-6), he's so much better at math/explaining math, and frankly I'm doing so much more cleaning/food prep/ordering/shopping because of covid that I run out of steam.

Also because he's 11 he actually can socialize on line with his friends -they zoom every day and play video games and sometimes do HW together. Thing is we're just darn lucky -the group of 4 boys that join are, in general, good kids. They're reasonable, appropriate language -one teases a lot and acts out some -but some -nothing we/he can't handle. And we're there most of the time so we hear/see. I really get irritated with that one boy -he's VERY smart -like scarily so - but he's not thoughtful - he uses his smarts for bad intentions and I don't like it . Neither does our son. I like how they argue some about what to play because that's life -our son has to learn how to deal with those situations and we will not intervene - they work it out somehow. It's been since March or so so I see that as a good sign that it is social, that they're genuinely friends, and that if there was going to be bullying etc it would have happened. I know two of the moms, met one of them, the other two I do not know.

But it's a strange world -a world of high doses of screen time, of weird boundaries when he is supposed to be 'in school" - but so far we don't have to "deprive" him of in person school. I am scared of the time they start in person/hybrid because I truly believe we will stay virtual until there is a vaccine.

NYT:

"U.S. Hits Record Deaths and Hospitalizations, With Worse Likely to Come

At least 2,760 people were reported dead from Covid-19 in the U.S. on Wednesday, more than on any other day since the pandemic began.

Hospitalizations topped 100,000, nearly double the peak from the first wave in the spring."

In one way, I picked the worst time to be job searching.

In another way, it's a relief to not have to go every day to a workplace where my coworkers don't really think Covid is much of a thing and who don't follow safety protocols.

I am extremely fortunate to be able to stay with family for very low rent, and to have enough savings to cover my bills while I am job hunting.

We are up to almost 1k cases a day in my area (city and surrounding area but mostly city). Hospitals are pulling back stuff. Things have been closed for a while now, no indoor dining (like I care, I haven't eaten inside  a restaurant since March) and a lot of businesses have shuttered here again.

We've had some outbreaks at my facility too but I'm doing my best to stay safe. I'll be alone this Christmas too. 

Too many "But I want to see my familyyyyyyy!!!!" And then they act surprised when they all get sick. No concern at all for the healthcare workers who are horribly overwhelmed. 

I'm back to only going out to buy food and supplies and to put gas in my car. So be it. I can get through this if it means keeping my family safe.

My poor nephew is hunkering down in his bedroom because he's been throwing up and has a sore throat. He only was going out to shop for food and needed items so I think he's probably just got a stomach bug or food poisoning since he ate takeout the day before he got sick. But he's getting tested anyway.

• Like 2