Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 52 of 172 FirstFirst ... 49505152535455 ... LastLast

Thread: Emotional support group Covid19

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by ~Seraphim ~
    Here almost nothing is open everything but grocery store has pretty much has gone to kerbside service . We have had a state of emergency for weeks.
    Yes. We live in an urban area so all grocery stores are open but I think I did my last shopping Sunday for over a week. My husband will go down the block for take out for lunch today.

Thank you, Fudgie. I will let people know on my FB that this is real as I have a handful of them posting everyday that it's either some sort of conspiracy or that it's not even that big a deal.

I appreciate the truth from a nurse who actually knows.

I am so sorry to hear Snny. I hope your husband recovery's quickly.

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    Originally Posted by Batya33
    Yes. We live in an urban area so all grocery stores are open but I think I did my last shopping Sunday for over a week. My husband will go down the block for take out for lunch today.
    Anything open here you need to line up 6 feet apart and they only allow a few people in at a time. Those restaurants that are open have takeout only or delivery. But everything is pretty much a ghost town

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by ~Seraphim ~
    Anything open here you need to line up 6 feet apart and they only allow a few people in at a time. Those restaurants that are open have takeout only or delivery. But everything is pretty much a ghost town
    Yes- most stores do the 6 feet apart but because we are not in the burbs the most I've waited to get in is ten minutes. We only have takeout or delivery available too. We can't really do delivery in our situation and we have done takeout once a week. I also bought some prepared foods at the store, like a rotisserie chicken, eggplant parm, etc.

I live in Los Angeles—not a hot spot—and have a friend who tested positive two days ago. Bad fever, didn't go away for a week or so. Tested positive, spent a night at the hospital, is home recovering. A friend's husband in New York City has it too; he's 56, tough road, but not critical. So, it's not totally abstract over here, in my tiny world within the world at large.

That said, I understand the instinct for conspiracy theories, particularly in the US. Big, big country, to put it mildly, so the numbers are such that most people will not know someone affected by this on a critical level. It's like 9/11: massive event, but for the majority of the nation it was an event that existed on the news, not in their reality. This is that, with more dire numbers, but also harder to fathom since it can't be "seen," even on the news. Hard stuff to wrap minds around, kind of like climate change.

Mix in that the US is fundamentally an individualistic nation—we simply don't value community or the collective, on a policy level—so the notion of making sacrifices for the common good, particularly of this sort, just don't hold much water here. It's not something we are really built for. Those sacrifices will, I'm confident, save lives. They will also ruin millions of lives financially. So the urge to think up some conspiracy theories? I see it as a coping mechanism, for some, to handle that very grim reality on the horizon.

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    We just make all our own food. That way I know it’s safe.

Yesterday online learning commenced. It is mandatory.

Thanks, Blue, I appreciate it. I hope things are better with your friend. My brother is still being silly..but ah well.

Platinum Member
    We haven’t done any takeout. It’s not the food I’m worried about, it’s the handling and all the packaging. I feel bad because I would like to support our local businesses, but I’d rather stock my freezer because there is no such thing as store hopping. I used to go to different stores for particular items for sales but now everything is one grocery trip for meats and one curbside for everything else. So it’s a lot more expensive. Plus the “sales” are not really sales, but a product of essential markup (legal...they do have wiggle room).

Originally Posted by SherrySher
    Thanks, Blue, I appreciate it. I hope things are better with your friend. My brother is still being silly..but ah well.
    Both are doing okay. Sorry about the tension with your bro. Such a weird time. It's finding all the cracks—in interpersonal relationships, in social structures—and pressing right down on them, hard.

I read this morning that the UK govt asked for volunteers to help deliver food etc. to those most vulnerable. They were hoping for 250,000. Some 750,000 signed up, are joining the deliverymen, shelf stockers, and so on, without salary. Of course, they're also guaranteed job security and 80 percent of lost wages through this time, so that altruism comes in part through a system that is just the opposite of ours. Not saying all this to get "political," but for me it helps to contextualize behavior—especially behavior that stings my own mental and emotional mainframe—inside larger systems so the effects aren't so potent to my well-being.

Page 52 of 172 FirstFirst ... 49505152535455 ... LastLast

Videos

Maintaining A Strong Relationship

Detaching From a Malignant Man

Divorced Parents Prefer Technology and Social Media As Communication Tool

Wedding Jitters Could Be a Predictor for a Future Divorce

Botox Fights Depression And Makes You Feel Happier

Men Are More Sensitive than Women when Having Relationship Problems
Give Advice
Ask For Advice