Update on my mother

jul-els

Here is a link for reference to the situation. https://www.enotalone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=563817

She got through the surgery with flying colors, which I was very relieved about. They then sent her to a skilled nursing facility for physical rehab. She wanted to go straight home which would have been a terrible idea and I was able to talk her into going to the SNR. She has been there for a week now, doing her therapy twice a day, six days a week.

The initial prognosis was they'd be able to send her home within three to four weeks if everything went well. Today she called me and send they were taking her back to the hospital. She has an infection on her breast and they don't like the look of it. I just got this news from her a couple of hours ago. She said she'd call me as soon as she knows anything else, so I'm just waiting for her call at this point.

I've been taking care of her dogs since she was admitted, going online to submit her payments on her bills, and generally looking after her house, which currently has two tenants in it and she's trying to rent a third room. I renewed her ad on the room a couple days ago and she's been getting calls on it and I am planning to meet with the applicants and set up and direct any moving in arrangements if we find a suitable applicant, collect the monies, open the house for them at move-in, etc.

I was optimistic that she would be out in a couple more weeks, but now I'm back to being worried again. I just have to wait for her call and see what she says.

I'm sorry. Do they have any idea what the problem is?

Have your siblings stepped up?

She is lucky to have you!

She said it's an infection in her breast. I don't know anything else about it at the moment. I made my brother and sister aware of it and my sister texted me back. My sister lives about a three hour drive away and has problems with her feet. She stayed about an hour closer to my mom for a week and was going to visit her everyday, but the drive was bothering her feet so much that she had to go back home before the week was up.

Your mother is in good hands and closely monitored, jul-els. Try not to fret.

You're a great daughter. :smug:

That’s good to know since I’m her son! Lol! ;) You have no way of knowing that since my gender isn’t posted and my screen name does sound rather feminine. And I know I’m kinda touchy feely sometimes too, lol. Thank you for your support Cherylyn, I appreciate it! :D

Oh yes, so much more helpful when they are stubborn. Ugh!

Has you brother been in contact?

Yes, he replied to my text. He just said, “not much we can do” and he’s right. My sister similarly expressed her frustration. We can only do as much for her as she’s willing to accept. *shrug*

That’s good to know since I’m her son! Lol! ;) You have no way of knowing that since my gender isn’t posted and my screen name does sound rather feminine. And I know I’m kinda touchy feely sometimes too, lol. Thank you for your support Cherylyn, I appreciate it! :D

Oh my! :eek: I'm sorry, jul-els. Oops, I meant you're a great son! Wow, that was embarrassing for me! My apologies!

I hope your mother's infection heals and recovers properly and quickly and it's a relief that her surgery was a success!

But it’s not her caretakers I’m worried about. It’s her. She refuses treatment at every turn. So frustrating.

Old age seems to come with a second childhood and a refusal to believe they can’t do certain things anymore. I hope things heal quickly. I understand your frustration.

Oh my! :eek: I'm sorry, jul-els. Oops, I meant you're a great son! Wow, that was embarrassing for me! My apologies!

I hope your mother's infection heals and recovers properly and quickly and it's a relief that her surgery was a success!

No worries at all, I’m just trying to lighten the mood. :) Her infection has been ongoing for a very long time. She mentioned something to me about it a couple years ago at which time I recommended she see a doctor, but she refused. She’s very strong, tough and stubborn. Always has been.

Old age seems to come with a second childhood and a refusal to believe they can’t do certain things anymore. I hope things heal quickly. I understand your frustration.

Oh this isn’t a new development, lol. She’s always been this way. “My way or the highway”. That’s my mom in a nutshell.

Ever try the reinforcement method? We do it with kids, like "if you clean your room we will go out for ice cream." So figure out what she really likes and bargain with her. Tell her you will take her out for pannekoek after her appointment.

Well, that could be an option once she gets back home and depending on how much of her independence she will be able to maintain. Right now she's bed ridden in a nursing facility, so all I can do is hope she cooperates with the treatment being offered her there and that she gets back home relatively well again.

Yup, four nursing homes have refused to take him because of his temperament.

My mom's not nasty or disrespectful like that. She's a nice person, but once she's decided how things are going to go, then that's how they're going to go, period. There is no amount of reasoning in the world that will make any difference. What can you do with that? Nothing. Nothing at all.

Glad she's being looking after and they've caught things. Just think, had the hip issue not come about, the other things would have gone untreated.

Well, they caught things, but they're being left untreated. Simply because my mother refuses treatment. That can't do something for her that she refuses to let them do. So, just like your signature says, it is what it is.

Well, they caught things, but they're being left untreated. Simply because my mother refuses treatment. That can't do something for her that she refuses to let them do. So, just like your signature says, it is what it is.

oh ouch. I did read that. My mom was stubborn too. Frustrating!

We had the total role reversal where I became parental and a few times got down right angry and pushed her to the right thing like a parent would. . . not fun for sure.

Archived