Son wants to go away with friends for a weekend

Seraphim

I'm from Toronto, spent the first 25 yrs of my life there. Is anyone going on this trip who you trust to keep an eye on him?

I don’t know any of his friends . Strange , I know. But he sections off every portion of his life and the portions don’t mix. So parents don’t mix with friends etc. They are his card buddies and he wants to go to comicon.

I don’t know any of his friends . Strange , I know. But he sections off every portion of his life and the portions don’t mix. So parents don’t mix with friends etc. They are his card buddies and he wants to go to comicon.

I would, for sure, have him have his friends over for pizza so you can meet them before he goes off with them. I would want to make sure that at least one of them is mature enough to handle any crisis (big or small) should one occur.

I'd also ask him to wait to go until its better weather and they have a handle on the Corona virus. I live in the greater Toronto area and I'm not making any plans to go into the city any time soon. That is where all of or cases are turning up.

My son went to Comicon with his friends in Los Angeles when he was 18. They pooled together and booked a hotel room downtown. I want to say it was about 4 or 5 of them.

They walked everywhere and explored downtown together. They did not separate but stayed together at all times. I'm proud to say they handled it very well. They had a great time and experienced no difficulties or danger.

I too would want to meet the friends before this trip. Maybe have them over as ThatwasThen suggested for pizza. Maybe invite the other parents too.

Does he even know what he is in for? The place is going to be packed with thousands of people, line-ups for everything, including food. Can he even handle that kind of stimulation?

He knows. If he is REALLY interested in something he will put up with the over stimulation and stress.

I would, for sure, have him have his friends over for pizza so you can meet them before he goes off with them. I would want to make sure that at least one of them is mature enough to handle any crisis (big or small) should one occur.

I'd also ask him to wait to go until its better weather and they have a handle on the Corona virus. I live in the greater Toronto area and I'm not making any plans to go into the city any time soon. That is where all of or cases are turning up.

These friends , the one who is more competent lives North of Sudbury but I have met him once .

My son went to Comicon with his friends in Los Angeles when he was 18. They pooled together and booked a hotel room downtown. I want to say it was about 4 or 5 of them.

They walked everywhere and explored downtown together. They did not separate but stayed together at all times. I'm proud to say they handled it very well. They had a great time and experienced no difficulties or danger.

I too would want to meet the friends before this trip. Maybe have them over as ThatwasThen suggested for pizza. Maybe invite the other parents too.

Hahaha I have been corrected it is Anime North. Most of these people are allowed much more freedom than my son is. Their parents don’t care much whether they come and go and one of them lives in a group home.

With a Comic Con he is motivated by an intense interest. If its just going to Toronto and making it up as they go along with no event or set destination, I would be more concerned, but you have to let him experience things because you ultimately want to see if he can survive on his own somewhat, right, if you and your husband were moved somewhere for work and he couldn't follow because you are afraid he will lose his services.

If he tends to get physical when he has a melt down, I would not allow it because he could get arrested, but if he is not inclined to that behavior, then i might let him go.

Are the other kids autistic as well? Or are they neurologically normal and know he is autistic and are protective of him/patient?

As someone who has gone to multiple anime and gaming conventions (and one more recently this past January), I find the convention staffers are VERY friendly and accommodating toward patrons with disabilities; some even have disabilities themselves. They are super helpful if someone is under distress. Your son and his friends will be fine as long as they stay out of the party scene (which conventions are known for). He will have a blast!

I would also go over the social etiquette of interacting with people in cosplay. The cons are very strict with a no harassment policy. Does he have a favorite character? Will he understand that it will be a person in a costume? Does he know how to ask for consent for taking photographs/hugging? And if he is refused, will he know to back off?

Scheduling is important. Know the layout of the convention center/hotel AND local restaurants. Go on a trip to drive around the area and have him create a schedule of where to eat. Conventions have a posted schedule prior to the convention. Does he know how to read maps? Can you both look at the map layout before he goes? Have him use a planner to schedule events he wants to attend.

There are some cool restaurants near the corner of Spadina avenue and Queens blvd. It's on the edge of China town and downtown. I felt safe there.

The restaurant in the CN Tower has really expensive hamburgers, but what a view!

I even liked the Medieval Times restaurant and show by the Canadian National Exhibit. Which is fun too.

He should go and have some fun!

With a Comic Con he is motivated by an intense interest. If its just going to Toronto and making it up as they go along with no event or set destination, I would be more concerned, but you have to let him experience things because you ultimately want to see if he can survive on his own somewhat, right, if you and your husband were moved somewhere for work and he couldn't follow because you are afraid he will lose his services.

If he tends to get physical when he has a melt down, I would not allow it because he could get arrested, but if he is not inclined to that behavior, then i might let him go.

Are the other kids autistic as well? Or are they neurologically normal and know he is autistic and are protective of him/patient?

There will be NT friends.

As someone who has gone to multiple anime and gaming conventions (and one more recently this past January), I find the convention staffers are VERY friendly and accommodating toward patrons with disabilities; some even have disabilities themselves. They are super helpful if someone is under distress. Your son and his friends will be fine as long as they stay out of the party scene (which conventions are known for). He will have a blast!

I would also go over the social etiquette of interacting with people in cosplay. The cons are very strict with a no harassment policy. Does he have a favorite character? Will he understand that it will be a person in a costume? Does he know how to ask for consent for taking photographs/hugging? And if he is refused, will he know to back off?

Scheduling is important. Know the layout of the convention center/hotel AND local restaurants. Go on a trip to drive around the area and have him create a schedule of where to eat. Conventions have a posted schedule prior to the convention. Does he know how to read maps? Can you both look at the map layout before he goes? Have him use a planner to schedule events he wants to attend.

He doesn’t like hugging whatsoever at all, not even family so that won’t be an issue. Yes, he is cognizant of reality. I have zero clue of what fav anime characters he likes he doesn’t tell us anything about that.

They will be staying in the hotel attached to the convention.

He is a master of navigation.

Archived