Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mother has broken her hip

I'll be thinking of you both tomorrow and sending good energy your way.
    It's so obvious how much you love your mom, and I'm sorry this is happening. It's not easy for stubborn types to trust, and she trusts you, which says a lot. She knows your character and it's good. You are doing great in a really difficult situation. Just want to add my support.

Try to cast your anger aside and stay focused on you and your siblings helping your mother during her time of need. Once surgery is behind her, it's time for everyone to step up and do the right thing. You are right about pulling together as a family when it counts. jul-els, I'm glad you will have help from your siblings.

Might she qualify for Medicaid? Medicare will probably provide rehab, but Medicaid (if she qualifies) may provide home care services.

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by Red Rubies
    Might she qualify for Medicaid? Medicare will probably provide rehab, but Medicaid (if she qualifies) may provide home care services.
    Thank you, thatís very helpful and Iíll look into it. I donít know anything about my momís personal business because itís not something any of us are allowed to ask her about. If we ever attempt to ask her, she gets offended and refuses to talk about it. Which I knew would make things difficult whenever anything like this happened, but now weíll have figure it out and we will.

The hospital should be able to help you find a caregiver for your mother once she is released and can go back home.

Jul, was your mother living in her own house?

Contact social services and they will have a social worker get in touch with you. That's what they are there for...to help the public with their emergency needs. When anyone has a below poverty line income there are services available at very little to no cost.

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by SarahLancaster
    Jul, was your mother living in her own house?
    Yes, she has a 5 bedroom house with all the rooms rented, which is how she survives. Thereís a reverse mortgage on the house, so no house payment. She also has two dogs.

Do you think she could go to some kind of a rehab facility for her recovery? It shouldn't take more than a month or so for her to heal and get back to normal, unless you are thinking of some kind of assisted living.

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by SarahLancaster
    Do you think she could go to some kind of a rehab facility for her recovery? It shouldn't take more than a month or so for her to heal and get back to normal, unless you are thinking of some kind of assisted living.
    I donít know. I think that will depend on how the surgery goes, what the doctors say, what she wants to do, and what we can afford.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice