Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mother has broken her hip

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by abitbroken
    Do what you can to not get yourself burned out on top of it. Accept help where it is given, even if it comes from an unexpected place or from someone you don't like. Also, is she social? Does she have friends willing to sit with her for a bit when needed? Also, grocery delivery is everything in these situations.
    Good idea on the grocery delivery. And no, my mom is not social, lol. That's actually a very funny comment if you knew my mom.

Platinum Member
    Another good thing is they've said she won't need hip replacement. They said they will put two pins in her hip to mend it. I'm thinking that's a better prognosis than hip replacement.

I agree with others. Inform your siblings of your mother's plight and don't be afraid to ask for their help to help their mother. You shouldn't have to shoulder the burden alone. Don't be too proud to ask any help at all whether it's dinners for your mother, help at your mother's house, help with bedside care, etc. Never decline their help. Graciously and gratefully accept anything they are willing to give of themselves!

Normal protocol is PT (physical therapy) as opposed to remaining sedentary post-op. They want to get her moving so she can heal, recover and rehabilitate faster even at her age. (Same thing with TKR - total knee replacements, too.)

I agree you should ask. But manage your expectations. It's a difficult enough time.

Reluctant or irresponsible siblings can make things unnecessarily more frustrating.
    But they deserve a chance.
    Your mom deserves it as well.

(((((((hugs))))))))

I'm sorry to hear.

If you are in the US, look into the Department of Aging, contact your State Senators and Reps offices (look on their websites). There are programs that help with personal care for elderly people. Her physician can also help direct you to resources.

Is she associated with any organizations, clubs, religious houses? You definitely want to let those leaders know.

People do care and want to help. You have to get the word out there and see what's available. Be her advocate and sign her up for whatever you can... meals on wheels and visiting angels are two organizations I know of that help with meals and cleaning for homebound people in my area

Some things do take time to get set up and you'll need to get her financial documentation together to show need etc. Also get ahead of any bills or situations that could prove problematic... For example, if she is in a protected class, she cant be evicted or foreclosed on but you have stay ahead of things and file appropriate paperwork (this might not apply, but just saying, something to think about.)

Be organized with the paperwork for her care from the get go. take notes of who you talk to, deadlines and requirements etc. keep in folder or a binder and take with you to her appointments etc.... You'll want to make sure you have receipts for tax deductions purposes or possible future reimbursements.

I'd definitely make an effort to tell your siblings and then do best by your mom with or without their help.

Hang in there. Let us know how its going....

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by jul-els
    Yeah, I don't know. These are the pieces I'm going to have to put together.
    Wishing you all the best.

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by jul-els
    Another good thing is they've said she won't need hip replacement. They said they will put two pins in her hip to mend it. I'm thinking that's a better prognosis than hip replacement.
    That's is good.

Does she have friends or neighbors that can help out?
    Last edited by Hollyj; 02-28-2020 at 08:14 PM.

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    I am sorry to hear that. I know what you mean my mother has had some falls in the past few years that incurred broken bones and spine.

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by Hollyj
    That's is good.

Does she have friends or neighbors that can help out?

Nope. I’m it.

Platinum Member
    Well, I went and visited my mother tonight and she did tell me to call my brother and sister, so I did and they’re now in the loop. It does anger me that they virtually never gave her the time of day, but theoretically we should pull together as a family and be there for our mother and each other. But that’s not what we’re doing. In reality they’re getting a last chance opportunity to assuage their guilt for ignoring her all these many years. But bottom line is my feelings are not important right now. This is about my mom and what’s best for her. I’m scared about her going in to surgery tomorrow and I hope she gets through it okay. If so, then we can take the next steps from there, together as a family.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice