LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Negotiating after I signed Offer Letter

Originally Posted by DaisyMayPorter
    You are right! Thank you Dancing Fool! That's why I'm so hesitant about taking it. I did have a contract job at a job before and they were "supposed" to go permanent within a few months and it took them wayyyy longer to go permanent than I expected. I don't want to get burned again.

My recruiter, who I've been working with only on this temp-to-perm job (I found the permanent job myself) emailed me and said I'm their first choice, but they need to know by 12:00 noon (that's in an hour at this point) or they give the job to the next candidate. Way to make someone feel special! So I emailed her back saying that I will be unable to give them an answer by 12:00, so I will have to pass. She just responded with, "do you have time for a quick chat?" and I have not responded. I don't like being forced into taking a position so quickly. Plus, with the permanent position, there was no "It's between you and another candidate"... they knew they wanted me, and moved quickly, which was so nice for a change. They didn't even mention another candidate. Money isn't everything...(is it? lol) Plus, at the stable permanent job, I'm making a lot more than I'm making at my current job, so that's good enough for me for now.

I did leave a voice message with the permanent job's HR person who sent me the offer letter, telling them I had a question, but I didn't mention what the question was. Should I even bother to negotiate with them at this point?
    Going to be blunt here. If you try to negotiate more pay AFTER you've already signed on the dotted line, you'll come off as flaky and crazy and that can cause them to rethink their evaluation of you to the point of simply pulling the job offer completely. Even if they just say no, it can change their perception of you and that will sour your working relationship there. In short, don't even think about it.

Don't get greedy just because some startup dangled some unrealistic promise and then end up with nothing at all. Keep in mind also, that stable secure companies tend to have regular yearly pay raises. I'd focus on busting your arse for the next year so they want to give you a good one to keep you.

Gold Member
    Originally Posted by DancingFool
    Going to be blunt here. If you try to negotiate more pay AFTER you've already signed on the dotted line, you'll come off as flaky and crazy and that can cause them to rethink their evaluation of you to the point of simply pulling the job offer completely. Even if they just say no, it can change their perception of you and that will sour your working relationship there. In short, don't even think about it.

Don't get greedy just because some startup dangled some unrealistic promise and then end up with nothing at all. Keep in mind also, that stable secure companies tend to have regular yearly pay raises. I'd focus on busting your arse for the next year so they want to give you a good one to keep you.
    Yes, I decided not to negotiate after all. And there was a possible "incentive" written into the offer letter as well. I'm just going to work hard and enjoy my new job. Thanks for the advice.

Platinum Member
    You got great advice. And I wouldn’t ever see a tight deadline to respond as an automatic negative. I’ve been given tight deadlines in highly competitive positions because that was how coveted the position was. In both those cases I knew about the deadline in advance.

Gold Member
    Originally Posted by Batya33
    And I wouldn’t ever see a tight deadline to respond as an automatic negative. I’ve been given tight deadlines in highly competitive positions because that was how coveted the position was. In both those cases I knew about the deadline in advance.
    Yes but I didn’t know about the deadline until this morning.

Platinum Member
    The temp job can also easily say goodbye after a month. I wouldn't negotiate after you've accepted. I would be insulted, and say, "bye-bye."

Gratefully, graciously and politely continue moving forward with the nice permanent position at a stable, long lasting financial company! You've already accepted and signed the offer so go with it! Choose security and stability over all else.

Start-ups are risky. I know because my cousin worked for a start-up that eventually went belly up and now she works for a huge corporation for obvious reasons: Security and long term, permanent stability.

Don't daydream about the $12K because you need to think of your long term security and stability with a long lasting, predictable financial company. Be more conservative.

Don't negotiate with the first company. No, it's not ok to do that after you've already signed the offer letter otherwise they will show you the door and don't let the door hit your rear end on your way OUT. Don't be perceived as greedy. Prove your self worth AFTER you're hired and work your way up.

Get in first and then swim. Be smart. Don't mess this great opportunity up. Play your cards right.

And btw, congratulations!
    Last edited by Cherylyn; 02-27-2020 at 03:42 PM.

Gold Member
    Originally Posted by Cherylyn
    Gratefully, graciously and politely continue moving forward with the nice permanent position at a stable, long lasting financial company! You've already accepted and signed the offer so go with it! Choose security and stability over all else.

Start-ups are risky. I know because my cousin worked for a start-up that eventually went belly up and now she works for a huge corporation for obvious reasons: Security and long term, permanent stability.

Don't daydream about the $12K because you need to think of your long term security and stability with a long lasting, predictable financial company. Be more conservative.

Don't negotiate with the first company. No, it's not ok to do that after you've already signed the offer letter otherwise they will show you the door and don't let the door hit your rear end on your way OUT. Don't be perceived as greedy. Prove your self worth AFTER you're hired and work your way up.

Get in first and then swim. Be smart. Don't mess this great opportunity up. Play your cards right.

And btw, congratulations!
    Thanks for the advice Cheryl!

Originally Posted by DaisyMayPorter
    Thanks for the advice Cheryl!
    You're very welcome, DaisyMayPorter!

Congrats on your new job, Daisy! I can see that you've already worked this through, and I think you've made a wise decision. Once you're settled into your new role, you can begin exploring options within the company for new inspirational paths, and you'll be able to negotiate raises as you adopt new responsibilities.

EnjOy!

Gold Member
    Originally Posted by catfeeder
    Congrats on your new job, Daisy! I can see that you've already worked this through, and I think you've made a wise decision. Once you're settled into your new role, you can begin exploring options within the company for new inspirational paths, and you'll be able to negotiate raises as you adopt new responsibilities.

EnjOy!
    Thank you, I'm excited about my new role!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Videos

Maintaining A Strong Relationship

Detaching From a Malignant Man

Divorced Parents Prefer Technology and Social Media As Communication Tool

Wedding Jitters Could Be a Predictor for a Future Divorce

Botox Fights Depression And Makes You Feel Happier

Men Are More Sensitive than Women when Having Relationship Problems
Give Advice
Ask For Advice