Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 46

Thread: A Plant Based Life

  1. #1
    Platinum Member Lambert's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    2,825

    A Plant Based Life

    3 or 4 years ago, I decided to become plant-based. I did a lot of research on diet, nutrition and the China Study (if your interested, this study is explained in detail in the movie Forks Over Knives).

    It started out as a diet choice, but now has lead to a whole spiritual awakening. I don't want to hurt any animals.

    It was and is still the right choice for me. And I'm not trying to convince anyone to change.... but I wanted to start this thread for others that are vegan/plant based or are interested in becoming plant-based or vegan to chat.

    If anyone is interested in learning how to start, I'd be happy to share my progress. I did not start cold turkey (no pun intended!)

    Lately, I've been working towards getting all the animal tested products out of my life. So if anyone has favorite vegan, cruelty free beauty products they love, please let me know.

    Please note: MANY companies claim to be cruelty free. However, they are sold in China, which by law are required to have animal testing. Or they are owned by large parent companies (SCJohnson, Unilever, Estee Lauder etc) that sell in China.

    I'm trying to find true cruelty free products. And its been super hard because the packaging lies. PETA and other organizations will give approval and not consider the parent company. Which makes no sense to me. Anyway!

    Anything to share? thanks!

  2. #2
    Gold Member mines's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    The Windy City
    Posts
    673
    Gender
    Female
    Thanks for your post! My daughters (ages 27 and 22) have both been vegan for over 2 years. I just went vegan myself (after a long time being about 90%...) in January. I decided to try it for a week, then just didn't want to give it up. I have always eaten healthy, and still do; however to clarify this change is totally for the animals. It's about compassion to all living things.

    So far it's been seriously easy, which really shouldn't matter, but I just found it surprising that I haven't missed eggs or chicken (the last 2 things I hadn't given up). The only challenge I've had so far is eating out, which is not always within my control (for example if I have no choice in the restaurant) but thankfully I don't eat out often. When I dine out with my daughters we always pick vegan places anyway, no big deal!

    I have found a ton of vegan recipes, and the food part of it is much easier than finding beauty/cleaning products that are cruelty free! Once I find something I just stick with it :)

    Thanks for starting this thread, it will be a great place to share on this topic!!I

  3. #3
    Platinum Member Lambert's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    2,825
    Originally Posted by mines
    Thanks for your post! My daughters (ages 27 and 22) have both been vegan for over 2 years. I just went vegan myself (after a long time being about 90%...) in January. I decided to try it for a week, then just didn't want to give it up. I have always eaten healthy, and still do; however to clarify this change is totally for the animals. It's about compassion to all living things.

    So far it's been seriously easy, which really shouldn't matter, but I just found it surprising that I haven't missed eggs or chicken (the last 2 things I hadn't given up). The only challenge I've had so far is eating out, which is not always within my control (for example if I have no choice in the restaurant) but thankfully I don't eat out often. When I dine out with my daughters we always pick vegan places anyway, no big deal!

    I have found a ton of vegan recipes, and the food part of it is much easier than finding beauty/cleaning products that are cruelty free! Once I find something I just stick with it :)

    Thanks for starting this thread, it will be a great place to share on this topic!!I
    Hi Mines! thanks for responding!

    Eating out can be tough. But I really think the future is at least plant based, if not vegan. Look at dairy farms closing and the demand for plant based meat substitutes rising.

    Do you eat those meat subs? I usually don't. The other part of my dietary needs is to avoid over processed food like substitutes.... thoughts?

    Maybe your strategy of sticking with what you find is better than pursuing... make up is easy. And I use the Meyers cleaning products... but a soap or body wash (I love Dove) has been hard to find...

  4. #4
    Gold Member SarahLancaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Florida Panhandle
    Posts
    980
    Gender
    Female
    This is my new favorite food. It's delicious.[Register to see the link] [Register to see the link]

  5.  

  6. #5
    Platinum Member SherrySher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    6,802
    I literally threw up the Beyond burger. Sorry if it's TMI but it's true. That stuff is manky and has all kinds of chemicals in it.

    No way would I recommend it to anyone.

  7. #6
    Platinum Member SherrySher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    6,802
    I also tried it twice, just to make sure it wasn't a bad package. My stomach said, no way.

    Ugh that stuff is gross.

  8. #7
    Forum Supporter ~Seraphim ~'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    Age
    53
    Posts
    37,971
    Gender
    Female
    My question would be how to get adequate protein when one canít eat loads of seeds or nuts.

  9. #8
    Gold Member SarahLancaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Florida Panhandle
    Posts
    980
    Gender
    Female
    Originally Posted by SherrySher
    I also tried it twice, just to make sure it wasn't a bad package. My stomach said, no way.

    Ugh that stuff is gross.
    Sorry you didn't like it. I think it's very tasty, and there's no soy.

  10. #9
    Platinum Member SherrySher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    6,802
    I don't find it tasty at all...it's got a very weird after taste. Frankenstein food.

    My question would be how to get adequate protein when one canít eat loads of seeds or nuts.
    Lentils, chickpeas, eggs, protein shakes, dairy products, soy products,

  11. #10
    Forum Supporter ~Seraphim ~'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    Age
    53
    Posts
    37,971
    Gender
    Female
    Originally Posted by SherrySher
    I don't find it tasty at all...it's got a very weird after taste. Frankenstein food.



    Lentils, chickpeas, eggs, protein shakes, dairy products, soy products,
    Protein shakes might be out depending on the carbs and sugars. I can only stomach so much fiber too before my IBS goes postal.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Videos


Divorced Parents Prefer Technology and Social Media As Communication Tool

Wedding Jitters Could Be a Predictor for a Future Divorce

Botox Fights Depression And Makes You Feel Happier

Men Are More Sensitive than Women when Having Relationship Problems

Friendship Between Men and Women Often Involves Attraction

Infidelity
Give Advice
Ask For Advice

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •