Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 19 of 19

Thread: Can't stop overeating

  1. #11
    Platinum Member shellyf62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Sydney Australia
    Posts
    3,077
    Gender
    Female
    Originally Posted by reinventmyself
    You admit that you are overeating as a source of comfort. To tell someone just to stop and eat more celery doesn't work.

    Your overeating is a symptom of something bigger. You need to address the cause.
    You are medicating yourself much like an alcoholic uses alcohol. Telling them to just stop drinking doesn't address the problem.

    This is why people who have gastric bypasses have a low success rate. It's an attempt to eliminate a symptoms without addressing what it is that causes someone to do it in the first place.

    There is a high incidence of cirrhosis of the liver in people who have had bypasses. They trade in one vice for another and without the gastric juices and depending on which surgery they've had, the alcohol doesn't breakdown as much and goes straight to liver. I had a high school friend who died due to this. She stopped over eating but still went about numbing her pain in a different way.

    Have you considered therapy to address why you need food for comfort?
    Absolutely this!!!

    I am an ex overeater, found out my comfort eating was due to trauma from my childhood.
    I saw a therapist, worked on my issues, joined Weight Watchers & feel fabulous!

    Honestly, if you dont face your issues you will never overcome this. Self sabotage will creep in, and you will need coping mechanisms in place.
    Good luck

  2. #12
    Platinum Member reinventmyself's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    10,994
    Gender
    Female
    There was a fascinating news show I saw once. I wish I could find it again. It followed people in a rural part of Asia, studying why there was little or no obesity amongst them. They purely viewed food as fuel. Nothing more. They went about eating much like we put gas in our cars.

    Westerners, along with other cultures have all sorts of emotional ties to food that they did not. It's a social outlet, emotional outlet and otherwise.

  3. #13
    Platinum Member melancholy123's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Ontario Canada
    Posts
    6,437
    Gender
    Female
    Shop the perimeter of the grocery store. That;s where the healthy stuff is. Stay out of the inner aisles. That's where the junk is.

    Walk more. Park at the far end of parking lots so you get some exercise. Take the stairs when possible.

    Consider Weight Watchers or similar, being accountable to someone can help.

  4. #14
    Bronze Member Brutal555's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    223
    Originally Posted by reinventmyself
    You admit that you are overeating as a source of comfort. To tell someone just to stop and eat more celery doesn't work.

    Your overeating is a symptom of something bigger. You need to address the cause.
    You are medicating yourself much like an alcoholic uses alcohol. Telling them to just stop drinking doesn't address the problem.

    This is why people who have gastric bypasses have a low success rate. It's an attempt to eliminate a symptoms without addressing what it is that causes someone to do it in the first place.

    There is a high incidence of cirrhosis of the liver in people who have had bypasses. They trade in one vice for another and without the gastric juices and depending on which surgery they've had, the alcohol doesn't breakdown as much and goes straight to liver. I had a high school friend who died due to this. She stopped over eating but still went about numbing her pain in a different way.

    Have you considered therapy to address why you need food for comfort?
    So whose help do you suggest I should seek out?

  5.  

  6. #15
    Bronze Member Brutal555's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    223
    Originally Posted by shellyf62
    Absolutely this!!!

    I am an ex overeater, found out my comfort eating was due to trauma from my childhood.
    I saw a therapist, worked on my issues, joined Weight Watchers & feel fabulous!

    Honestly, if you dont face your issues you will never overcome this. Self sabotage will creep in, and you will need coping mechanisms in place.
    Good luck
    I was abused and beaten in my childhood both from my father and school kids. I ate to feel better.

  7. #16
    Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    51,616
    I eat for comfort too and for emotional reasons. I've never been overweight other than a couple of pounds over 30 years ago when I was on a bad birth control pill for a couple of months. I see nothing wrong at all with food being a treat, a source of pleasure and enjoyment, even a comfort. With this difference - I do moderation, portion control and I keep the impulsive emotional eating to a bare minimum especially in the last 8 months (I had a minor health scare and some concerning bloodwork results that resolved itself in a couple of months but I made more dietary changes in reaction to that situation.

    So no I am not giving up the junk that I happen to love - but portion control and being self-aware of whether I am truly hungry/what I am hungry for. I was basically anorexic as a teenager/early 20s alhough not officially diagnosed. I relearned how to respond normally to hunger and fullness cues.

    Another thing that helped me - almost doubling water intake (plain tap water) from 6-8 glasses to 10-12 a day and giving up diet soda - which I used to guzzle, then did "only" one a day now down to less than once a year.

    But I do think you should try that Food Addicts group or Weight Watchers or both given the more extreme nature of your issues. What I wrote is more about maintaining.

  8. #17
    Platinum Member DancingFool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Wilds of Texas
    Posts
    10,697
    Gender
    Female
    Originally Posted by Brutal555
    I was abused and beaten in my childhood both from my father and school kids. I ate to feel better.
    But you had also stopped and gotten fit. So what's triggered you to start up now?

    Anyway, one option is turn to something positive. Rather than dragging yourself to the gym, find something active you actually would enjoy doing. Just start trying out different things until you find something that clicks for you. So instead of feeling bleah about making yourself walk or work out, you are actually counting minutes until you can leave work and head to whatever activity. It's your day's highlight, something that makes you smile, a reward. It's basically replacing food as a reward with something better for you as a reward instead.

  9. #18
    Platinum Member catfeeder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    22,859
    Gender
    Female
    Consider contacting Overeaters Anonymous:
    [Register to see the link]

  10. #19
    Platinum Member reinventmyself's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    10,994
    Gender
    Female
    Originally Posted by Brutal555
    So whose help do you suggest I should seek out?
    personal or individual therapist

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Give Advice
Ask For Advice

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •