Coronavirus

BecxyRex

Hey all, what are your thoughts on coronavirus and who here is starting to get a little freaked out, like myself? I don't think stores will be empty in the United States any time soon, but I'm expecting the worst to still come... Would love to hear everyone's thoughts on this.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There have been pandemics or near pandemics before. One was in 2002-2004, the SARS outbreak. The second one was in 2009 H1N1. Both caused a lot of illness and death.

And although they did affect many countries, we survived them both, and it makes sense that we will again.

That being said, there are things each one of us can do. 1.) If you have been around people who may have been exposed to Coronavirus and you are showing symptoms (or even if you're not), self isolate until you know for sure that you are not infected. This is very important as it stops the spread of this illness.

2.) Wash your hands as often as you can, especially if you've been out. 3.) DON'T touch your face. The virus lives on surfaces and once you touch the surface you can then transfer it onto your face which is how the virus invades your body. (through your mouth and nose).

3.) If you are showing symptoms and have been around people who have been exposed to this virus, ring your local hospital and ASK what you should do BEFORE you decide to drive yourself there or take public transport there. They will advise you first on the steps you should take to get care.

Try to be smart about things, but not panic. Panicking won't help anything. Each country is trying to do the best to deal with this outbreak and prevent further spread as well as dealing with the people who have already been infected. The media can be quite fear mongering, so read and research before believing everything out there.

Just back from 16 days in Mexico and am fine. Saw only security people wearing masks, the few that had them on. Only one passenger at Toronto airport had a mask. I think the worst is yet to come.

I'm not freaked out, but then I'm not going anywhere for the rest of the year that involves planes.

I wash my hands a lot anyway when out in public and especially in airports.

The main issue with this one, I think, is that there is no antivirus drug nor a vaccine found yet. Other than that, my impression is that it's no worse than previous pandemics. If I were to get it, my main concern would be not spreading it around and especially to my elderly parents. As with previous outbreaks e.g. H1N1, it's people who have a weak immune system e.g. people who take immunosuppressants, elderly, very young children etc who are at risk of dying.

More people die from the flu each year in my country (US) than from coronavirus. We just don't see news reports about the flu because it's not as much fun for the news reporters.

This.

It's unfortunate that it has created such a panic globally :( maybe this will finally be the end of the wild animal markets.

Not really hearing much fear being spread on this side of the world, but then, I try not to pay too much attention to the hysterical nature of media today. My concern is the supply chain I manage with several of my Chinese suppliers still not back from Chinese New Years because of it. I am concerned about many of the people I deal with down that way, and it's a lot of work putting in back up supply chains.

I personally think anything that comes near having a Spanish Flu impact worldwide in the 21st century will be a result of some kind of concerted biological attack, not an off-the-cuff mutation (knock on wood). SARS and especially MERS are also coronaviruses which are far more deadly, but we've thus far come out fine. While this one is spreading much quicker and has killed more people, it's due to sheer numbers rather than odds. Additionally, with the most impacted areas having lacked adequate medical facilities upon the outbreak, it looks like environment is playing a bigger role than the virus itself. If I were older, I'd probably be much more personally worried. Of course I wouldn't encourage elderly friends and family to visit affected areas. I also probably won't be traveling internationally more for the potential headache attempting reentry should someone in the plane or the plane that took off from the same airport two hours ago have symptoms. Zero interest in ending up like that cruise ship.

That's not to downplay the virus. I'd much rather have the common flu than it. It's just always a good idea to employ a healthy balance of appreciation for a free press while keeping in mind the very real profit driven strategy of "if it bleeds, it leads."

More people die from the flu each year in my country (US) than from coronavirus. We just don't see news reports about the flu because it's not as much fun for the news reporters.

The Coronavirus is about 20% deadlier than the flu, actually. Just because more people have died from the flu thus far, doesn’t mean the Coronavirus isn’t a larger threat. 0.2% of people with the flu will die. With the Coronavirus, that number rises to 20% — And that’s only based off of the reported cases so far. It’s likely a higher %.

I get spooked easily by these things. Moreso at the carelessness of others. It's amazing how many people don't take even basic measures to prevent spreading illness. And simple things we could be doing, we don't.

Example, I had to go the passport office this month. The place is small and packed, and there isn't even a handwashing station near by. I went to the washroom, and people aren't even washing their hands.

Cheap as dirt to put in a hand washing station before you enter the office, but no one has done that. It's only one example, but the laissez faire attitude in general of people and the govts spook me.

Only slightly related, we had a fast-food joint in this city burn down. People were still in line while the place was visibly on fire. It's a bit extreme, but I think a good chunk of people take this approach in life. Just carry on no matter what, business as usual. That's what scares me. I don't really trust the judgement of most people.

There are a veritable host of things you could die from everyday that have greater odds than this current health scare. Life is a risk, that is part and parcel of the deal. Living in fear is a choice. Gets great ratings. Tune in tomorrow and see who gets hit next. Great entertainment, if you're into that sort of thing. Doesn't interest me in the least.

It's amazing how many people don't take even basic measures to prevent spreading illness. And simple things we could be doing, we don't.

I agree. Whether it's laziness, or just not caring, it does cause so many worse issues that aren't necessary.

That's what scares me. I don't really trust the judgement of most people.

Unfortunately there is good reason not to. People can be quite careless, self centered and reckless.

Just looked at some number's. There is an estimated 80,000 cases but there have been a total of 30,000 recovered and 2,000 deaths.

There are still 39,321 that have a mild version of the illness and 8,000 who are critical.

That being said, I think that's hopeful. The vast majority who have already been infected, are recovering. They don't tell you in the news about the positive, but they should.

30,000 have recovered have been released from the hospital and many more are only having a mild version.

If you think about it there are over 1 billion people in China and only 80,000 have had it. Not to downplay it but let’s think about those statistics. I am sure some of that is due to containment measures. However I don’t think we’re ever going to go back to the 1918 flu pandemic and see the loss of 50 million people.

The key is not under react or overreact.

I get spooked easily by these things. Moreso at the carelessness of others. It's amazing how many people don't take even basic measures to prevent spreading illness. And simple things we could be doing, we don't.

Example, I had to go the passport office this month. The place is small and packed, and there isn't even a handwashing station near by. I went to the washroom, and people aren't even washing their hands.

Cheap as dirt to put in a hand washing station before you enter the office, but no one has done that. It's only one example, but the laissez faire attitude in general of people and the govts spook me.

Only slightly related, we had a fast-food joint in this city burn down. People were still in line while the place was visibly on fire. It's a bit extreme, but I think a good chunk of people take this approach in life. Just carry on no matter what, business as usual. That's what scares me. I don't really trust the judgement of most people.

I met my new neighbor the other day in the elevator and she wanted to shake hands. I rarely decline (and I then use sanitizer, discreetly, after) but I was still getting over a cold -nothing contagious just those left over sniffles -but between that and everything going on I said politely -sorry I'm getting over a cold and it's so nice to meet you!"

I had this experience at my local sub shop the other day. I'm a regular there. I think they're great and very clean -once in awhile I ask the person to wash hands and they do and wear gloves at all times. Anyway I ordered $20 worth of food for my family -the maker coughed and apologized and rewashed her hands. OK. But a few seconds later- more coughing -coughing right over the various food in trays she was putting on our sandwich. She coughed at least 3-4 more times during the process. I asked her if she was sick. She said no. But she looked sick to me. I did pay -I was just not sure what to do -and her supervisor comes out -I ask again if she is sick (she doesn't really speak English) and he says no but I tell him what happened and that I want him to remake the sandwiches. He refuses but gives me a refund. It was all very pleasant and polite and I realize now -he realized she was sick and didn't want to remake given the contamination (because I've been back twice since and they've been lovely)

I tell this because I think given flu and the risk of coronavirus I was more alarmed than I otherwise would have been, enough to insist on a replacement. I also think it was bizarre that they had her working and coughing on the food.

Archived