Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Meddling Parents

Meddling Parents

My dog had a seizure the other day.

My mother lives with me and I explained to her over the next few weeks I am going to be strict with my dogís care because Iím fearful of another seizure.

My mom tends to disregard my concerns/wishes and goes behind my back giving him things Iíve asked he not be given and things I prefer he not do. She has her own dog but its always a tug of war with her on how I choose to care for him.

She tried meddling/imposing again and I yelled at her profusely.

I know itís silly being itís a dog but man sometimes I just want to (👋) her.

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    Did she cause the dog to have a seizure?

Originally Posted by ~Seraphim ~
    Did she cause the dog to have a seizure?
    I don't know. His blood work came back normal but the vet says toxicity still can't be ruled out. She is always giving him food items I've asked he not be given and taking her medications carelessly around the pets. It drives me nuts.

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    Originally Posted by Leah33
    I don't know. His blood work came back normal but the vet says toxicity still can't be ruled out. She is always giving him food items I've asked he not be given and taking her medications carelessly around the pets. It drives me nuts.
    Can you move out?

Originally Posted by ~Seraphim ~
    Can you move out?
    I'm in the process of looking for a place locally. I'm just venting in the interim so I don't implode.

Can you afford to hire a dog sitter during the day when you're at work?

Originally Posted by SarahLancaster
    Can you afford to hire a dog sitter during the day when you're at work?
    Thank you for the suggestion.

I work from home but I'm in and out throughout the day. I rather not spend money on a dog sitter but I'll have to figure out something for the time being.

Platinum Member
    Unless or until you can move out, youíre going to have to lay down the ground rules concerning your dog. Tell her she can care for her dog as she wishes, but your dog will only be receiving x,y,z, no exceptions. And then hold to those rules, keeping them firmly in place.

I had a dog with epilepsy and his seizures were brought on by certain chemicals used outside the home. On meds, he was fine. I dont see how your mother is causing seizures in your dog. Your best bet is to move out asap.

Originally Posted by jul-els
    Unless or until you can move out, you’re going to have to lay down the ground rules concerning your dog. Tell her she can care for her dog as she wishes, but your dog will only be receiving x,y,z, no exceptions. And then hold to those rules, keeping them firmly in place.
    I have laid down ground rules. It doesn't help.

Originally Posted by melancholy123
    I had a dog with epilepsy and his seizures were brought on by certain chemicals used outside the home. On meds, he was fine. I dont see how your mother is causing seizures in your dog. Your best bet is to move out asap.
    Sorry to hear about your dog.

I don't think I specifically said she caused the seizure. Though I am not going to rule it out as maybe accidental. I don't know.

Shortly beforehand he regurgitated undigested food I did not give him and he immediately went into seizure.

I know dogs can experience seizures without any known cause so I am just hoping it was a one-time occurrence. I'm just trying to manage my way through this in the interim and avoid any further arguments with her.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice