Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Meddling Parents

A friend of mine had a similar issue with her cousin who she shared an apartment with.

No matter how many times she told him not to give her dog "people food" he continued to do so. He thought her request was ridiculous and unnecessary, so he just did what he wanted. The dog got sick several times as a result.

How she resolved the issue? She moved into her own apartment. Nothing else worked.

Originally Posted by boltnrun
    A friend of mine had a similar issue with her cousin who she shared an apartment with.

No matter how many times she told him not to give her dog "people food" he continued to do so. He thought her request was ridiculous and unnecessary, so he just did what he wanted. The dog got sick several times as a result.

How she resolved the issue? She moved into her own apartment. Nothing else worked.
    I don't mind the occasional dog treat but she is excessive with dog treats, human food, etc. She minimizes pretty much everything I do and say so I agree with your last point.

I am feeling a bit better now. Did some exercise and spoke with my Dad, he is going to help me move when the time comes. I always feel better after talking to him thank goodness.

Thanks everyone!

Check things like wooden decking or furniture to see if the dog had been chewing it. Certain finishes can attract dogs even while poisoning them.

Originally Posted by catfeeder
    Check things like wooden decking or furniture to see if the dog had been chewing it. Certain finishes can attract dogs even while poisoning them.
    Nothing like that but there are a ton of plants and flowers in the backyard, mulch and pine trees.

So it's possible he ingested something. I've had him by my side the past few days and he's much better I'm just nervous to leave him around my mom but I'll have to get over it.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Originally Posted by Leah33
    Nothing like that but there are a ton of plants and flowers in the backyard, mulch and pine trees.

So it's possible he ingested something. I've had him by my side the past few days and he's much better I'm just nervous to leave him around my mom but I'll have to get over it.

Thanks for the suggestion!
    Yep, I'd keep the dog away from the mulch. It's often treated to look a certain way, but it can be toxic as hell and sniffing it can be like snorting it.

Platinum Member
    Can you keep the dog crated in your bedroom while you are gone? Or schedule your away time for when mom is not home? Dogs can have seizures for reasons other than poisoning - some have neurological issues that don't show up right away. Its genetic, or could be a tumor or epilepsy.

Originally Posted by catfeeder
    Yep, I'd keep the dog away from the mulch. It's often treated to look a certain way, but it can be toxic as hell and sniffing it can be like snorting it.
    I did wonder about that.

He loves being in the backyard so I'll have to figure out how to block that area off.

Originally Posted by abitbroken
    Can you keep the dog crated in your bedroom while you are gone? Or schedule your away time for when mom is not home? Dogs can have seizures for reasons other than poisoning - some have neurological issues that don't show up right away. Its genetic, or could be a tumor or epilepsy.
    I think that's what I'll do, crate him when I am not home and have my brother watch him. I'll just have to plan around when he's off from work.

This is the second pet that had an unexpected illness so I'm just feeling anxious. It could very well be epilepsy or a tumor (God I hope not) but I'm not going to get further tests done unless he has another seizure. If it's tumor I think I'd rather not know. I don't want to get that far ahead though thinking that's what it could be.

Thanks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Give Advice
Ask For Advice