Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Teaching credential programs

Bronze Member

Teaching credential programs

I donít meet the gpa requirements for teaching credential programs in California . Iíve been working for 5 years in medical records . Iíve been looking into early childhood special education credential, multiple subject credentials . How do I go about this route ? I very much would like to work with children .

Day care helper. If you can not deal with the academics, why pursue it? Volunteer someplace that deals with children and decide what you can actually do with your training.

Platinum Member
    Check into whether you can take additional classes to reach the required GPA.

Bronze Member
    Iíll look into that option and call the admissions department.

I was an educator for several years. I should warn you about walking into this field that I wish I was given:

I had a dual certification, and one of them was in Special Education with a Master's degree. After grad school, I jumped ship into the mental health field because I was given a better offer. I find working for a mental health agency/advocacy program much more rewarding, better pay and benefits, less job politics, and less people to deal with (mind you, I taught a class with 150 students). I absolutely love my clients and the families I have served. The difference I make for them is 10x rewarding than I was doing as a teacher on the front lines. I do not miss lesson planning or grading working every weekend.

Teaching is one of the most underrated and unappreciated job fields. It is challenging work of which not everyone is cut out for. It takes a special calling to stay in the field, which is why teachers are the real superheroes. Statistics have shown that 50% of teachers burn out of the field within the first 5 years of teaching and it is not a secured job field. Some states offer tenure that require you to work on temporary contracts that last for one school year, and then you are at the disposal of a district whether to axe you or keep you. I will be honest that I have not been recommended to continue my contract from four different school systems for multiple reasons: from economical staff cutting to not playing the job political game right.

So if you are looking for a secured job or a "better paying" position, teaching is not it. The pensions are even crap now (my undergraduate program straight up lied to me about that). The only thing I made was a difference and good medical benefits. The kids made me love teaching (though I had some difficult students and parents too). Everyday was a new day with them. But that's it... the job politics, unsupportive admins, and the amount of work I had to put in even though I was off the clock was not worth the cost of my mental health.

Also with a pandemic going on, I would rethink this career path. Schools have shut down until further notice and everyone is working from home with distance learning. Unless this lifts quickly, I don't see school systems hiring new teachers anytime soon.

If you still feel strongly about teaching, wait for the pandemic to be over. Then apply to be a substitute teacher. Some districts will take people with only associates degrees while others require those with bachelor degrees (you have to ask their HR department). Don't volunteer because that's giving you a superficial viewpoint when you have kids who are HAPPY to be at those sporting events, plays, school dances, etc. Substitute teaching... even an Instructional Assistant for a special education classroom will give you the raw experience to see what it takes to be a teacher and how it is to live as one.

Platinum Member
    I was a licensed teacher for a couple of years many years ago. (elementary) I loved teaching and working with children. I still do and continued volunteering with children for many years. I could not have lived in that salary and in my case in the big city public school system I worked in I felt very underappreciated and mistreated by the administration. I worked many many hours after class prepping,etc and often bought my own supplies. I do miss the teaching. Not the rest.

Platinum Member
    I would follow Snny's suggestion about substitute teaching. That way, you can see if you even really like the classroom environment. If you have a bachelor's degree, you can sub. I also recommend you take additional classes to raise your GPA if you still desire a teaching certificate. Also, if you are in medical billing, what about other positions in the medical field?

Bronze Member
    Most of the medical field doesnít fascinate me. I havenít done a whole lot of medical billing work . Iím more of a billers assistant . Iíve done limited work of it . So I didnít get to do the full scope of medical billing job . In a nutshell , my job is one or two steps of medical billing and half of medical office assisting . Itís more of busy work .

Bronze Member
    You can look into ESL teaching jobs from home too . Itís less politics and more freedom . If you donít live in California , look into VIPKID teaching company . Iím sorry about what you faced .

Bronze Member
    Iíve been doing working for 5 years without much of a promotion but a slight raise . They prefer billers who would bring the drs money . Their mentality is more of out with the old workers and in with the new .

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Videos

Maintaining A Strong Relationship

Detaching From a Malignant Man

Divorced Parents Prefer Technology and Social Media As Communication Tool

Wedding Jitters Could Be a Predictor for a Future Divorce

Botox Fights Depression And Makes You Feel Happier

Men Are More Sensitive than Women when Having Relationship Problems
Give Advice
Ask For Advice