What's a good small gift to give co-workers when it's you that's leaving?

Thought I pose this question since I got great advice from people about one of my threads about a work question.

I am leaving my job next week and I want to give a small gift to my coworkers. It's a small office. It's 15 women and 5 men. I always do an individual thank you card, but was thinking about adding something to it. I guess I want to do more this time is because I've built really great relationships at this job and everyone was so happy for me when I got this new job (except for maybe a couple who were sad or bitter).

I was thinking about something small like $5 gift card, small boxes of chocolates, or should I even ?

If you're willing to spend $5. on each person, a Starbucks or Target gift card is practical; more so than candy or clutter. If I were your coworker, that's what I would want, use and appreciate but I wouldn't expect it and a thank you note is enough. You don't have to give gifts to everyone because it should be the other way around. They're the ones who should pass the hat to contribute a gift for YOU instead. This is what is customary for employees who leave or retire. However, if you want to be nice to 20 coworkers, it is kind of you to give a gift in an individual thank you note. Actually, the thank you note is your sincere expression of gratitude which would've sufficed. It's your decision if you are willing to spend $100. for 20 people which is a lot of money IMHO. If it were me, I'd just give individual thank you notes but that's just me and I'm not you.

I would just do the handwritten thank you card - 15 years ago when my coworker left I was so so touched when she gave me that - and we're still friends to this day. What I would do is follow up with your coworkers in the future to meet for coffee or lunch and perhaps offer to treat that first time (don't make a big deal of it in advance just when the check comes you pay) .

I've recently gave notice of intending to quit my job so I've been thinking about the same. How about give something personal, like a plant you planted and treated for a while? Or a handwritten card, as you mentioned, sounds like a lovely gesture : ) A gift card of course is nice as well, if that is something that is within your budget! Either way, whatever you decide to give, I'm sure people will appreciate the gesture! Good luck and all the best for your new job!

I love the lunch idea! The thing is my last day I am leaving early so maybe I can look in to getting breakfast burritos. I know this spot does catering where they cut one big burrito into half. Last time I looked it was around $42 for 15 burritos ...

I was also thinking about buying Girl Scout cookies from my neighbors just so its a win-win situation. I get to build some sort of relationship with my neighbors (never know when you will need them) and have something to give coworkers because - well duh who doesn't love Girl Scout cookies?

Any way I am a true believer in Karma so maybe that's why I am going extra here. My CEO called me in today and seemed genuinely happy for me, said it was like I grew up right in front of her eyes, LOL... Even said that if in the future I need any references, she will give me one and I know she just doesn't say that. So again, I thank my lucky stars.

I love the lunch idea! The thing is my last day I am leaving early so maybe I can look in to getting breakfast burritos. I know this spot does catering where they cut one big burrito into half. Last time I looked it was around $42 for 15 burritos ...

I was also thinking about buying Girl Scout cookies from my neighbors just so its a win-win situation. I get to build some sort of relationship with my neighbors (never know when you will need them) and have something to give coworkers because - well duh who doesn't love Girl Scout cookies?

Any way I am a true believer in Karma so maybe that's why I am going extra here. My CEO called me in today and seemed genuinely happy for me, said it was like I grew up right in front of her eyes, LOL... Even said that if in the future I need any references, she will give me one and I know she just doesn't say that. So again, I thank my lucky stars.

I vote for girl scout cookies. Keep your faves for yourself lol.

Have it the day before and be mindful that many people have food issues and cookies may not be welcomed by those who try to eat well or have health issues. With so many people being gluten free, vegan, diabetic, on diets, etc it sounds like you'll be able to take most of them home anyway.

I love the lunch idea! The thing is my last day I am leaving early so maybe I can look in to getting breakfast burritos.

I was also thinking about buying Girl Scout cookies from my neighbors just so its a win-win situation.

Have it the day before and be mindful that many people have food issues and cookies may not be welcomed by those who try to eat well or have health issues. With so many people being gluten free, vegan, diabetic, on diets, etc it sounds like you'll be able to take most of them home anyway.

That's why I like the idea of boxed cookies -they can do whatever they want with them.

Archived