I feel anxious and disappointed with myself when I don’t do anything productive

MTfan00

I have a constant need to be doing something productive or something that I like to do for fun.

If I’m not doing something, I feel stressed and depressed, like I’m wasting my life and time away.

I can never decide what I want to do which makes it even more nerve wracking for me. There’s a million projects to work on or places/things to go do but I just can’t figure out a PLAN for my day.

Please help me, the anxiety and stress is taking over my life and I don’t know what to do to relax

This is great. All you have to do is calm down, get organized. Make sure your interests include physical pursuits to work off energy. If you feel it's anxiety or being too wound up, make an appointment with a doctor MD for an evaluation and perhaps a referral to a therapist. Being productive in both your vocation and avocations are great but if you feel anxious, well...look into that.

I have a constant need to be doing something productive or something that I like to do for fun. If I’m not doing something, I feel stressed and depressed

Whenever I'm not productive and industrious, I feel so down and physically sluggish. Then when I force myself to get things done whether it's tasks, chores and errands, I feel so much better because I didn't waste my time nor fritter my day away.

Don't think too hard about it. Just do it. Don't psychoanalyze and pick your thoughts apart. Make a list, check it off as you go along and you'll be proud of yourself because you weren't a sloth all day.

When you get moving, you'll have a more positive outlook on life.

I have a constant need to be doing something productive or something that I like to do for fun.

If I’m not doing something, I feel stressed and depressed, like I’m wasting my life and time away.

I can never decide what I want to do which makes it even more nerve wracking for me. There’s a million projects to work on or places/things to go do but I just can’t figure out a PLAN for my day.

Please help me, the anxiety and stress is taking over my life and I don’t know what to do to relax

Why don't you just pick 1 or 2 things to do per day? Don't pick too many things that will overwhelm you.

Do you have a job?

Trying to fold too much complexity into plans can paralyze you, have you noticed? For instance, it seems to make sense to plan a series of errands. So if you need to do something on the other side of town, it might seem necessary to stack ALL of your on-deck errands for the other side of town. But the more you glom on, the more difficult you make your day, and then the less likely you are to get your priorities accomplished.

I've opted to skip that and keep it simple. If I have a priority, I'll focus on working that without holding myself up to organize too much into it. Often I'll find that breaking things up over a series of days instead of trying to ace everything in one day relieves a lot of pressure. I remind myself that I'm my own boss in my own life, so stacking only happens when it falls into place easily enough. Otherwise, it's ONE THING at a time, and I land a sense of accomplishment without getting in my own way.

I also like to remind myself that an occasional slug-fest IS accomplishing something: recovery.

Archived