A Plant Based Life

Lambert

3 or 4 years ago, I decided to become plant-based. I did a lot of research on diet, nutrition and the China Study (if your interested, this study is explained in detail in the movie Forks Over Knives).

It started out as a diet choice, but now has lead to a whole spiritual awakening. I don't want to hurt any animals.

It was and is still the right choice for me. And I'm not trying to convince anyone to change.... but I wanted to start this thread for others that are vegan/plant based or are interested in becoming plant-based or vegan to chat.

If anyone is interested in learning how to start, I'd be happy to share my progress. I did not start cold turkey (no pun intended!)

Lately, I've been working towards getting all the animal tested products out of my life. So if anyone has favorite vegan, cruelty free beauty products they love, please let me know.

Please note: MANY companies claim to be cruelty free. However, they are sold in China, which by law are required to have animal testing. Or they are owned by large parent companies (SCJohnson, Unilever, Estee Lauder etc) that sell in China.

I'm trying to find true cruelty free products. And its been super hard because the packaging lies. PETA and other organizations will give approval and not consider the parent company. Which makes no sense to me. Anyway!

Anything to share? thanks! [emoji4]

Thanks for your post! My daughters (ages 27 and 22) have both been vegan for over 2 years. I just went vegan myself (after a long time being about 90%...) in January. I decided to try it for a week, then just didn't want to give it up. I have always eaten healthy, and still do; however to clarify this change is totally for the animals. It's about compassion to all living things.

So far it's been seriously easy, which really shouldn't matter, but I just found it surprising that I haven't missed eggs or chicken (the last 2 things I hadn't given up). The only challenge I've had so far is eating out, which is not always within my control (for example if I have no choice in the restaurant) but thankfully I don't eat out often. When I dine out with my daughters we always pick vegan places anyway, no big deal!

I have found a ton of vegan recipes, and the food part of it is much easier than finding beauty/cleaning products that are cruelty free! Once I find something I just stick with it :)

Thanks for starting this thread, it will be a great place to share on this topic!!I

Thanks for your post! My daughters (ages 27 and 22) have both been vegan for over 2 years. I just went vegan myself (after a long time being about 90%...) in January. I decided to try it for a week, then just didn't want to give it up. I have always eaten healthy, and still do; however to clarify this change is totally for the animals. It's about compassion to all living things.

So far it's been seriously easy, which really shouldn't matter, but I just found it surprising that I haven't missed eggs or chicken (the last 2 things I hadn't given up). The only challenge I've had so far is eating out, which is not always within my control (for example if I have no choice in the restaurant) but thankfully I don't eat out often. When I dine out with my daughters we always pick vegan places anyway, no big deal!

I have found a ton of vegan recipes, and the food part of it is much easier than finding beauty/cleaning products that are cruelty free! Once I find something I just stick with it :)

Thanks for starting this thread, it will be a great place to share on this topic!!I

Hi Mines! thanks for responding!

Eating out can be tough. But I really think the future is at least plant based, if not vegan. Look at dairy farms closing and the demand for plant based meat substitutes rising.

Do you eat those meat subs? I usually don't. The other part of my dietary needs is to avoid over processed food like substitutes.... thoughts?

Maybe your strategy of sticking with what you find is better than pursuing... make up is easy. And I use the Meyers cleaning products... but a soap or body wash (I love Dove) has been hard to find...

I don't find it tasty at all...it's got a very weird after taste. Frankenstein food.

Lentils, chickpeas, eggs, protein shakes, dairy products, soy products,

Protein shakes might be out depending on the carbs and sugars. I can only stomach so much fiber too before my IBS goes postal.

My question would be how to get adequate protein when one can’t eat loads of seeds or nuts.
This is a common question and concern that many raise regarding giving up animal products.

It may be surprising to learn that vegetables also contain protein & that some of the largest animals (ex: elephants and gorillas) are vegetarians.

Grains, veggies, & beans all contain protein. Spinach, broccoli, potatoes, kale, sweet potatoes, mushrooms, peas, oats, quinoa are all great sources of protein and other nutrients (vitamins and minerals in addition to protein).

And of course, as you mentioned, seeds and nuts.

I dont live off them but they make great additions to meals. And nut butters... they make great bases for baked goods, as do sweet potatoes. )

A man of a sedentary lifestyle only needs 56 grams of protein, a female of the same lifestyle only 46 grams a day. When you arm yourself with what that actually looks like, I think its easy to see how it can be accomplished without animals.

There are 33 grams of protein in just one cup of tempeh (soy protein). There are 4 grams of protein in one slice of bacon and 70 in one chicken breast. Which is way over what a person should have. Too much protein can damage the heart, kidneys, and cause weight gain.

Hope this helps!

This is a common question and concern that many raise regarding giving up animal products.

It may be surprising to learn that vegetables also contain protein & that some of the largest animals (ex: elephants and gorillas) are vegetarians.

Grains, veggies, & beans all contain protein. Spinach, broccoli, potatoes, kale, sweet potatoes, mushrooms, peas, oats, quinoa are all great sources of protein and other nutrients (vitamins and minerals in addition to protein).

And of course, as you mentioned, seeds and nuts.

I dont live off them but they make great additions to meals. And nut butters... they make great bases for baked goods, as do sweet potatoes. )

A man of a sedentary lifestyle only needs 56 grams of protein, a female of the same lifestyle only 46 grams a day. When you arm yourself with what that actually looks like, I think its easy to see how it can be accomplished without animals.

There are 33 grams of protein in just one cup of tempeh (soy protein). There are 4 grams of protein in one slice of bacon and 70 in one chicken breast. Which is way over what a person should have. Too much protein can damage the heart, kidneys, and cause weight gain.

Hope this helps!

As a diabetic grains are pretty much out as are baked goods. Sweet potato mildly ok occasionally. Reg potatoes and rices are a no no.

Protein shakes might be out depending on the carbs and sugars. I can only stomach so much fiber too before my IBS goes postal.
I usually don't eat shakes or smoothies. I like to chew my food [emoji23]

I did not go cold turkey on any dietary changes... I started one meal at a time.

An easy breakfast is oatmeal with sliced banana or fruit you like.

Lunch could be a baked potato with an avocado smashed into with a dash of lemon juice and sea salt and a cup of black bean soup.

Dinner could be stir fry veggies with rice or noodles.

Then you get more adventurous as you go... and before you know your making zoodles and spaghetti squash with nooch[emoji23]

*nooch is nutritional yeast, which is actually from the mushroom family but has a cheese flavor. It can be sprinkled like shredded cheese or made into a creamy cheese sauce substitute. It is very high in protein... just two tablespoons have 9 grams of complete protein!

As a diabetic grains are pretty much out as are baked goods. Sweet potato mildly ok occasionally. Reg potatoes and rices are a no no.
ahhh. I understand.

Have you ever watched forks over knives or fat, sick and nearly dead on netflix? Pretty intetesting stuff.

Everything you mentioned I can’t have except the avocado or spaghetti squash. I can have a quarter of a cup of rice maybe. Same for noodles. At a quarter of a cup I see no point in eating it. [emoji3525] Anything with lots of carbs and sugar totally out.

I understand. You have dietary concerns that I don't know a lot about. Sorry!

Everything you mentioned I can’t have except the avocado or spaghetti squash. I can have a quarter of a cup of rice maybe. Same for noodles. At a quarter of a cup I see no point in eating it. ☹️ Anything with lots of carbs and sugar totally out.

I make shakes out of vegetable protein powder, hemp milk, and a little peanut butter. Delicious and lots of protein.

Hey yall!

I was vegan for 6 months during 2016. I went cold turkey one day. I looooved it! All these amazing recipes, my skin was awesome, my energy levels were high, not a problem in the horizon. I quit when I was told by doctors (during my annual checkup) that veganism will mess up my thyroid (already have some minor issues with it) and that the plant based protein and iron are not sufficient for human beings because our body metabolizes them into inferior quality. I don`t know if this is the case but I was so sad and decided to quit . The main "threat" for me was the wuality of nutrients my future babies would have if I were to have any in the future. Do I make sense?

But ever since, I never stopped dreaming and wanting to get back to it. My thyroid is worse than ever, my skin too. So I call bs on the doctors at this point. Eating meat was supposed help, but I`m worse than ever.

@Lambert how did you transition to veganism? did you first go through the vegetarian/ pescaterian route?

Archived