Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 23 of 33 FirstFirst ... 20212223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: Gestational diabetes

Platinum Member Butterfly~Wrists's Avatar
    Originally Posted by Batya33
    If you appreciated it you wouldn't be upset that your baby is thriving because it means you can't use the outfits you bought. You're going to spend a lot of $ over the years on items that don't work for your child or that she outgrows in two seconds, etc. It's called parenting. Do your utmost not to sweat the small stuff - she absorbs all of your energy.

I agree with the others as far as please let her be. Show her active love, meet her needs, and how she reacts is her business. Unless her reaction seems to mean she is ill or something -then you're the parent, you have to be her advocate and help her.
    You really don't get it, and that's fine it isn't about outfits. It's about how rapidly she's growing, it's impossible to explain evidently. I definitely DO appreciate and am very happy my daughter is healthy and thriving, I can't believe you think I don't, all because I am upset at how FAST it's going.
    Could also be pnd

Sophie, she did start eating about 6pm thankfully.. her nappy output has been rubbish which is very concerning, I hope we have a better day today..3.45am roughly waiting for her to wake for her night feed.

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    So many parents lament at how quickly their children grow up . I know I did. I canít believe my son is an adult .

Oops.i put on a 2-3 year top as a dress cause it's cooler than a super tight vest in this weather.. looks like it might be too small before she's one 🙈 next baby I'll go to an average sized doner rather than my giant fiance 🤣🤣... I'm really short, shouldn't it average out??

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by ~Seraphim ~
    So many parents lament at how quickly their children grow up . I know I did. I canít believe my son is an adult .
    Yes I get that part of growing up - wanting our kids to stay babies/toddlers/ where we can carry them around instead of the other way around, missing the baby talk, the milestones that seemed to go so fast.. But I'm scratching my head a bit at this different situation -being upset that an infant is growing at a fast speed -that's a sign of health and I would hope a reason to feel joy even if it means that those adorable outfits will never be worn by this baby. Butterfly -your upset feelings seem to be focused on her growing out of clothing and your last post was also focused on mistakes you may have made with sizing. That is why I suggested hand me downs and yes I may have overstepped by suggesting you focus on the health part rather than that those outfits might be used for your next child, someone else's child,etc.

. And that is why I am scratching my head - your focus on the clothing. I just really have never heard a parent get upset about this - and I know lots and lots of new parents over the last 30 years- and I will step aside from this topic, as I can see I'm giving a judgey comment -and realize that all parents have different feelings about the speed of an infant's growth and different attachments to baby outfits.

I loved that my baby wore mismatched socks and mismatched clothing and old hand me downs and had no clue or care about baked in spit up stains, etc. So I was a bit on the other extreme. We had a really cute take me home outfit I bought and I love it and didn't donate it. I received a $50 white onesie from an expensive department store as a gift. I returned it and bought my mom lovely towels for Mother's Day that year because I knew he'd wear it once, spit up on it, bye bye onesie. Of course I accept that you care a lot about the clothes you bought and you wish your infant would have gotten the memo to stop growing so fast so you could dress her in those lovely outfits. I remember being really upset that right before his first bath -with the help of our useless doula - for which I had an adorable hooded towel- my husband decided to take a non urgent call from his parents which meant we almost missed the window of baby being calm enough to be sponge bathed. He didn't get why it was so important. Maybe no one else would. Just like I don't get why you're upset about her speed of growth right now. I'm sorry I imposed my judgment on you.
    Last edited by Batya33; 06-25-2020 at 08:31 AM.

Originally Posted by Batya33
    Yes I get that part of growing up - wanting our kids to stay babies/toddlers/ where we can carry them around instead of the other way around, missing the baby talk, the milestones that seemed to go so fast.. But I'm scratching my head a bit at this different situation -being upset that an infant is growing at a fast speed -that's a sign of health and I would hope a reason to feel joy even if it means that those adorable outfits will never be worn by this baby. Butterfly -your upset feelings seem to be focused on her growing out of clothing and your last post was also focused on mistakes you may have made with sizing. That is why I suggested hand me downs. And that is why I am scratching my head - your focus on the clothing. I just really have never heard a parent get upset about this and I will step aside from this topic, as I can see I'm giving a judgey comment -and realize that all parents have different feelings about the speed of an infant's growth and different attachments to baby outfits.

My sister had four kids and her youngest was a tween when my son was born -she always told me -if you want to birth a baby accept that you never know what's going to come out -and that goes for size, etc. Obviously we have even more high tech tests in utero than even back in the 80s and 90s of course- but there are still so many unknowns. And so many once the baby is born. When I knew I wanted a child so so much I gave that a lot of thought and accepted that reality.
    I understand. It really isn't about clothing, clothes can be bought in many sizes if I really liked an outfit (there's one im going top buy a couple bigger suitcases of as it's adorable) It's just, she doesn't feel like a young baby. It's really hard to explain what I'm feeling, I guess hence the focus on clothing.
    Oh I know you can never predict, genetics and well anything really. A baby will be what they will be., all we can do is love them, nurture them and help them to grow into the best human they can be, and im so excited to be teaching her and loving her and watching her. It just feels so quick, like if I blink she'll be even bigger and doing mor when I haven't entirely got my head wrapped around this moment.

Lock down doesn't help, as obviously very few people have met her, so it feels like times stagnant, but it gives me time to just sit and watch her with wonder. She holds her head up by herself so well. Does sit ups trying to sit herself up. She watches so closely, listens out for me. Lots of laughter. It's amazing. I love this little being so much!

Platinum Member
    Many thanks to you for being so patient with me and tolerant about my judgments. Iím sorry. And thanks for accepting my apology. I get it for what itís worth in the sense that parenthood feelings are notoriously complicated even baffling at times.
    Fast can be daunting. Many years ago a family friend had her third child. He was a gorgeous infant. My mother and I went to visit when he was 4 months old. A couple of months later they learned he had a rare genetic disorder which basically meant he had half a brain just to be blunt. He needed 24/7 care and feeding tubes etc. my mother later told me that when she saw him as a four month old she knew something was very wrong because he didnít seem to make eye contact - he had these huge gorgeous brown eyes.

He died in his early 20s living much longer than was thought he would. His mother had one more child. She told me honestly she loved him so much and didnít see him as a full blown child of hers. She was a wonderful mom to her kids. She was being very open and real with me. She died of cancer when her kids were teenagers /early 20s about 13 years ago. Her son died a year or so later. I can see where people would view her comment as awful for a mom to say. And I got it and her. She had three boys who grew like weeds - and one who never spoke intelligibly, never walked and never ate on his own. With such a beautiful face. She did everything for him and cared so much for him while admitting she didnít feel like a real mother to him.
    This lockdown is making me emotional. Thanks for indulging me. I hope youíre having a great day.

I respect your views and the vast majority of your advice. One thing where we struggle to set the other's perspective doesn't change that. Especially when I'm not actually able to pin point or explain myself clearly.

That's a sad story, but I fully understand it. I work with families who have children with a vast array of conditions and life expectancies - one told me she somewhat detached from her daughter as if she looked at her daughter through mum eyes she'd be totally torn up, she needed to be practical whilst giving her the best life she could..

Lockdown is making everyone tetchy and stressed. We're in a heat wave here, 32c currently, very humid and sticky.. not fun when breastfeeding..

How on earth do you cut an infant's nails?? I had to get my aunt to do it yesterday. I

How on earth do you cut an infant's nails??
    With baby nail clippers and very, very gently. Cut off only the very tip of the fingernail and sharper bits. So as little as possible but enough so the baby hopefully won't scratch itself.
    But it's not easy. You don't want to cut off too much but it's hard when cutting off very little as it might not help, which is why baby mittens come in handy.

Don't feel bad it can be really nerve racking. I was nervous to do it too, but if you go really slow and gentle and have patience with it, you'll get better with it.

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by SherrySher
    With baby nail clippers and very, very gently. Cut off only the very tip of the fingernail and sharper bits. So as little as possible but enough so the baby hopefully won't scratch itself.
    But it's not easy. You don't want to cut off too much but it's hard when cutting off very little as it might not help, which is why baby mittens come in handy.

Don't feel bad it can be really nerve racking. I was nervous to do it too, but if you go really slow and gentle and have patience with it, you'll get better with it.
    That was the first time I made him bleed a little and of course I called the nurse/doc lol -they get calls like that all the time. I agree with this method!

Page 23 of 33 FirstFirst ... 20212223242526 ... LastLast

Videos

Maintaining A Strong Relationship

Detaching From a Malignant Man

Divorced Parents Prefer Technology and Social Media As Communication Tool

Wedding Jitters Could Be a Predictor for a Future Divorce

Botox Fights Depression And Makes You Feel Happier

Men Are More Sensitive than Women when Having Relationship Problems
Give Advice
Ask For Advice