LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Did he try to swindle me?

Originally Posted by boltnrun
    He probably figured the OP wants him back and will do anything, including overcharge her "friend", to try to get back into his good graces.

OP, I hope you did indeed block him and will never again have anything to do with this guy. And apologize to your friend.
    I donít think along those lines to do something like that to ppl in my circle so while it is hella weird and shady to me, I actually think ur 100% right! Smh

It does sound like he was trying to stick one to you, maybe to do with not being on good terms.
    Glad you got the $150 back and the move worked out, sorry it hurt your heart that he wasn't being fair with you.

Originally Posted by MisforMani
    Weíre in ATL if that matters. Most the quotes were 1400-1800 though. It was only going to the storage unit and it was like 2mi from her house. Obv we didnít know costing, I would NEVER have trusted his answer if I did. He works for a moving co already.
    Even when I was in NYC, if you're simply talking hands and labor, nothing is approaching four digits for loading and unloading a 2BR onto a truck. Movers are one of the few categories I'd 100% say what you get is what you pay for, but her truck, her storage unit-- there's no reason 3, maybe 4 hours of labor should be running $1400+ unless she's got the penthouse in a 10-story walk-up. You guys owe it to yourselves to get some minimally fit guy friends to fall back on. A bottle of half-decent bourbon each is generally all it takes as a token of appreciation.

In any case, if he's employed as a mover and seemingly has a legit workplace, she and you should be doing business through the formal channels regardless, not just venmoing random staff cash, boyfriend or not. Easiest way to make sure you're not being swindled. For what it's worth, I don't think you were being scammed. I think he had no reason to be in any hurry. Not at all to suggest I think he's a great guy.

At the end of the day, you got your money. Your friend's things were moved. Not really worth reflecting on any greater harm. Best of luck with your future prospects.

I appreciate u taking time to share ur POV j.man! Iím gonna take heed to what u said. No more biz the back-end way lol!!!!

Platinum Member
    That's really shady. If he refunded your money, that's good. I just wouldn't trust or speak to him again. Not worth it.

Sorry to hear this. How long were you dating? What was the breakup about? It's good your friend finally shopped around herself and got a few quotes. It would be best to delete and block him, he sounds unscrupulous. Do you have a receipt for the boxes? Can your friend reimburse you since she should have looked for movers/quotes herself in the first place?
    Originally Posted by MisforMani
    My now ex bf and I were not on good terms two weeks ago but were still in contact. he would charge $3200 to move her belongings into storage.
    My bf called threatening me about an hour later for finding out about my going to the job to get the boxes. He claimed I tried to get him fired and told me to not go back there and hung up. He didnít end up doing the move job. I begged for my money back for the boxes but he still has been uncooperative. Thankfully we found a company to move her for $1750

Originally Posted by Wiseman2
    Sorry to hear this. How long were you dating? What was the breakup about? It's good your friend finally shopped around herself and got a few quotes. It would be best to delete and block him, he sounds unscrupulous. Do you have a receipt for the boxes? Can your friend reimburse you since she should have looked for movers/quotes herself in the first place?
    In her update she wrote that he paid her back the box money.

Gold Member
    Yikes! I paid movers $400 to move me Into a 2 bedroom, with their own truck. They did all the work. Iím in Mass. What a crook! And a horrible person!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Give Advice
Ask For Advice