Did he try to swindle me?

MisforMani

My now ex bf and I were not on good terms two weeks ago but were still in contact. My close friend needed to move ASAP. She couldn’t find movers short notice, so I reached out to him for the job (he’s a mover and I know he typically does moves on short notice) He asked if she had a truck, boxes, etc. I let him know she would be getting a truck and no to the boxes.. So, he gave me a quote based on the square feet of her apartment. His quote was just about the amount she had budgeted. She has a 2BR apartment and only one of the bedrooms was furnished along with the living, dining and kitchen not having much furniture to pack and he would charge $3200 to move her belongings into storage. He asked about boxes, I told him she doesn’t have any. He said he could provide them, but it would cost. I told him since I know she don’t have enough for it, I will work extra to come up w the money for the boxes to help. I did and sent him the money a day later.

When I went to his job where he said I could go to pick up the boxes, I was assisted by a warehouse representative who was responsible for boxes. He asked if I wanted new or used. I didn’t understand. I explained again I just was coming to get boxes I bought from (my bf name) who I didn’t know wasn’t at work that particular day. He frowned and asked “he ain’t tell you bought the free ones?” Then he told me to walk with him and started explaining how there’s used And new boxes, the used being free and available to the public as long as they call and request some time ahead. I asked if they’re still good even though they’re free and he explained he himself has used them when relocating. The new obviously costing. He asked how much I was charged and I said 150. He went quiet at first and said my boyfriend wasn’t there and wasn’t sure where my bf put whatever boxes he bought, but he would gladly give me free boxes. He loaded them in my compact car and apologized again to me for the situation. My bf called threatening me about an hour later for finding out about my going to the job to get the boxes. He claimed I tried to get him fired and told me to not go back there and hung up. He didn’t end up doing the move job. I begged for my money back for the boxes but he still has been uncooperative. I cried that day a lot bc I thought I was helping him and also my friend who’s new here. Am I overreacting over finding out there’s free boxes and he knew I hardly had the money to give for the new ones? I also found out, he actually was gonna overcharge my friend 2x what senior competitor moving companies charge. I explained to him my friend scraped up the $3200 and he was gonna take it knowing it was more than anybody else in this city even charges. Thankfully we found a company to move her for $1750 since her 2BR apartment things were just going to storage. We were extremely grateful! My now ex bf doesn’t know that I found about him trying to overcharge significantly. What should I do?

Delete his contact info, block him from contacting you and never have anything to do with him again.

You could look into small claims court, but I presume you have a cancelled check or a record of an electronic transfer along with a receipt signed by him. If you simply handed him cash it would be very hard to prove.

Has he always been an honest, trustworthy person and this is a big surprise that he would do something like this?

He’s always been one to speak of “trust” and I know a lot about him, met the whole family, etc. The grandmother is an opportunist but everyone else is very close-knit and kind. I could handle our relationship not working out, but finding out someone that’s been there for me in my hardest times would even take advantage when I already was supporting his business is chilling and painful

So I presume you have no receipts or record of giving him this money. Is that correct?

Yes, it's disappointing but now you know. No more trying to help him.

Do you want to reconcile and that's why you tried to "support his business"?

And BTW, $3200 to move a small apartment is a ripoff. I had a one bedroom apartment moved for $600. I realize it depends on the city but were you willing to have your friend pay extra just to try to get back into his good graces?

Anyway...cut him completely out of your life. It's too bad about the lost money but there's not much you can do if you can't prove it.

As soon as I read he was going to charge you $3200 I knew he was a crook.

Is continuing to speak to someone who would do that to your friend and subsequently you so important that you'd continue to do it for $150.00?

Cut the contact and chalk up the $150.00 as a blessing in disguise as it allowed you to see just what a piece of chit he is. Gawd imagine if you married the douche or something before you realized his game. Gah!

On edit: You were posting while I was... glad to hear he paid you back now block AND delete him from all social media.

$3200? Even $1750? With her own truck? So she's paying $1750 literally to have dudes load up her small apartment onto her own truck for her to transport herself? **** it, hire me. I'll take $400/hr. solo. I've got a ton of experience working warehouses and moves which I've both done and had done, and I honestly have no idea what's going on in this story. Was the storage being included in the price? Was this a local move? Was she transporting both ways? Is this guy self-employed or actually a part of a moving company? It's hard to believe it was some elaborate scheme to score $150 in new box money, but so is pretty much every other detail given.

In the future just let your friend, assumedly a grown woman, handle the orchestration of her own move, and try not to intermingle significant others and business transactions if you can avoid it. If you or your friend thought it was a good idea just to give some dude a lump sum of money for a move, I don't know what to tell you.

$3200? Even $1750? With her own truck? So she's paying $1750 literally to have dudes load up her small apartment onto her own truck for her to transport herself? **** it, hire me. I'll take $400/hr. solo. I've got a ton of experience working warehouses and moves which I've both done and had done, and I honestly have no idea what's going on in this story. Was the storage being included in the price? Was this a local move? Was she transporting both ways? Is this guy self-employed or actually a part of a moving company? It's hard to believe it was some elaborate scheme to score $150 in new box money, but so is pretty much every other detail given.

In the future just let your friend, assumedly a grown woman, handle the orchestration of her own move, and try not to intermingle significant others and business transactions if you can avoid it. If you or your friend thought it was a good idea just to give some dude a lump sum of money for a move, I don't know what to tell you.

He probably figured the OP wants him back and will do anything, including overcharge her "friend", to try to get back into his good graces.

OP, I hope you did indeed block him and will never again have anything to do with this guy. And apologize to your friend.

He probably figured the OP wants him back and will do anything, including overcharge her "friend", to try to get back into his good graces.

OP, I hope you did indeed block him and will never again have anything to do with this guy. And apologize to your friend.

I don’t think along those lines to do something like that to ppl in my circle so while it is hella weird and shady to me, I actually think ur 100% right! Smh

We’re in ATL if that matters. Most the quotes were 1400-1800 though. It was only going to the storage unit and it was like 2mi from her house. Obv we didn’t know costing, I would NEVER have trusted his answer if I did. He works for a moving co already.
Even when I was in NYC, if you're simply talking hands and labor, nothing is approaching four digits for loading and unloading a 2BR onto a truck. Movers are one of the few categories I'd 100% say what you get is what you pay for, but her truck, her storage unit-- there's no reason 3, maybe 4 hours of labor should be running $1400+ unless she's got the penthouse in a 10-story walk-up. You guys owe it to yourselves to get some minimally fit guy friends to fall back on. A bottle of half-decent bourbon each is generally all it takes as a token of appreciation.

In any case, if he's employed as a mover and seemingly has a legit workplace, she and you should be doing business through the formal channels regardless, not just venmoing random staff cash, boyfriend or not. Easiest way to make sure you're not being swindled. For what it's worth, I don't think you were being scammed. I think he had no reason to be in any hurry. Not at all to suggest I think he's a great guy.

At the end of the day, you got your money. Your friend's things were moved. Not really worth reflecting on any greater harm. Best of luck with your future prospects.

Sorry to hear this. How long were you dating? What was the breakup about? It's good your friend finally shopped around herself and got a few quotes. It would be best to delete and block him, he sounds unscrupulous. Do you have a receipt for the boxes? Can your friend reimburse you since she should have looked for movers/quotes herself in the first place?

My now ex bf and I were not on good terms two weeks ago but were still in contact. he would charge $3200 to move her belongings into storage.

My bf called threatening me about an hour later for finding out about my going to the job to get the boxes. He claimed I tried to get him fired and told me to not go back there and hung up. He didn’t end up doing the move job. I begged for my money back for the boxes but he still has been uncooperative. Thankfully we found a company to move her for $1750

Sorry to hear this. How long were you dating? What was the breakup about? It's good your friend finally shopped around herself and got a few quotes. It would be best to delete and block him, he sounds unscrupulous. Do you have a receipt for the boxes? Can your friend reimburse you since she should have looked for movers/quotes herself in the first place?

In her update she wrote that he paid her back the box money.

Archived