Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Thread: My boyfriend has a gun and He says I need to accept him if I want to be with him

Originally Posted by saluk
    So he treated you so horribly you left and finally were able to quit him. Then he continues to harass you after you left, and eventually says "let me have a gun or you won't see me anymore"?

Awesome, take the not seeing him anymore option.
    I did! Thanks for your advice!

Platinum Member
    Good to hear! Hope you and your son are able to recover from the experience. It sounds like you are doing pretty well, but if possible I'd also recommend trying counseling/therapy. These kinds of relationships tend to leave scars that can take time and work to recover from.

Bronze Member
    Originally Posted by j.man
    Why on earth you're isolating the issue of firearms is well beyond me.

I own firearms. My wife is trained to safely and responsibly handle, operate, and care for them as well. Just as our kids will be. You couldn't convince me to forego my responsibilities and rely on law enforcement to provide immediate protection for my person or my family, or for me to put faith in the next several decades turning out just peachy without need of one. That said, if you don't like guns or otherwise simply aren't comfortable with them, that's perfectly reasonable. Zero disrespect for folks who make that conscious decision for themselves. Just choose a partner who shares your values. Ideally one who doesn't juice, rage in front of your kids, punch you, lie to you, etc., etc.

Honestly, and it's not even my position on gun ownership talking, if your real "but for" is that he owns a gun and not any single or combination of the dozen other gigantic red flags, you've seriously gotta stop dating. For your son's sake much moreso than yours. A man like this is destructive and dangerous with or without a gun, though especially with. Distance yourself sooner than later or you'll need a gun yourself whether you like it or not.
    I own guns too. But she isn't isolating the gun issue. It's one of many. But having a gun around is a serious issue. Accidents happen. Kids can get in to them. And every gun owner is a law abiding, responsible gun owner. Until they're not. She has a child. If she isn't comfortable, good for her.

Originally Posted by Blank State
    I own guns too. But she isn't isolating the gun issue. It's one of many. But having a gun around is a serious issue. Accidents happen. Kids can get in to them. And every gun owner is a law abiding, responsible gun owner. Until they're not. She has a child. If she isn't comfortable, good for her.
    The thread title and the meat of her post isolated the issue. And as an aside:

That said, if you don't like guns or otherwise simply aren't comfortable with them, that's perfectly reasonable.
    Go Fudd elsewhere.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Give Advice
Ask For Advice