Open Club  ·  87 members  ·  Free

Off Topic

Baby names (boys)

ButterflyWrists

I need help! I'm really struggling to find boys names I love. We have two, one I'm not keen on and one I love the name in Welsh but my fiancee doesn't (I can use the Welsh version as long as it's the English version on birth cert).. but I want more options.

We love unusual and unique names, maybe based on mythology arthurian legends etc. Or even completely made up (some if you know my real name is made up)

We're pretty set on a girl's name. Not finding out the sex so have until mid to late April to get a few names together.

Any ideas please throw my way lol

Butters xx

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This will be no help I am sure because it is more traditional but my fav boy name is David. It is one of my son’s middle names. His first name is of Irish origin. . ( my husband and son are part Celt. ) His other middle name is Anglo Saxon and his grandfather’s name and his father’s middle name.

Think about the kid, not just what you like. Is it a name so unusual people don't know if its a girl or boy name or its even a name? I would not put one name on the birth certificate then call the child something else - unless its an understood "nickname" like calling calling Edwin Ed or Ned or Jonathan Jack. Like Eric on the BC and then calling the kid Mordred.

My oldest friend just welcomed his son into the world: Wyatt. I dig it. Sturdy, classic, but a touch unexpected.

I know no less than 5 little boys with that name.... And i am not a teacher or anyone who is around lots of kids..... One of the Wyatt's parents told me there was another in his preschool class..

Think about the kid, not just what you like. Is it a name so unusual people don't know if its a girl or boy name or its even a name? I would not put one name on the birth certificate then call the child something else - unless its an understood "nickname" like calling calling Edwin Ed or Ned or Jonathan Jack. Like Eric on the BC and then calling the kid Mordred.

That is true in a way. I made sure my son’s name was almost impossible to make fun of.

I need help! I'm really struggling to find boys names I love. We have two, one I'm not keen on and one I love the name in Welsh but my fiancee doesn't (I can use the Welsh version as long as it's the English version on birth cert).. but I want more options.

We love unusual and unique names, maybe based on mythology arthurian legends etc. Or even completely made up (some if you know my real name is made up)

We're pretty set on a girl's name. Not finding out the sex so have until mid to late April to get a few names together.

Any ideas please throw my way lol

Butters xx

I think there is more leeway to make a girl's name up. anything ending in -tine, -elle, -tina, -ella, -ina - ly, etc. people just think its another ethnicity if they have never heard it.

In the same vein, I always liked the idea of having a few names in mind and then maybe you don't use them because the baby just suits a particular name.

Wyatt does seem popular now! Fine name, but I associate it with cowboy types. My cousin named her son Wyatt because she liked the name, but her son is gentle and artistic. Just seems so off to me ( has bugged me lol ).

Thanks everyone. Nothing's jumped out to me as yet. It's so difficult. The current leader is Merlin/emrys my mum had two names growing up and she got very confused as a child as at home she'd be one and school the other, which is why I'm wanting to find other names.

Ian and Paul are so far from unique, sorry to whoever suggested those...

Wyatt makes me think of rednecks (sorry!!)

Thanks everyone. Nothing's jumped out to me as yet. It's so difficult. The current leader is Merlin/emrys my mum had two names growing up and she got very confused as a child as at home she'd be one and school the other, which is why I'm wanting to find other names.

Why the focus on "unique" to the extent you are? Obviously there's the other end of the spectrum of "oh no everyone is named Joshua"-but is this for you -your partner -or do you think your child would enjoy a unique name (and keeping in mind having to spell it more often for people).

We actually thought our son's name was unique although that wasn't why we picked it. In his grade at school - around 100 kids in the grades throughout elementary -there are two others with his name and he is buddies with one of them!

I completely second this!

I personally prefer names that are easy to spell and are somewhat universal.

I don't want to derail this thread, yet had to mention this - This thread reminded me of a former colleague who's family member named their son Agamemnon. I think they called him Aggie for short? The parents loved Greek mythology and this is where they got the name from.

Another, Ebenezer. This guy came back from a two week vacation after his wife gave birth and when I asked their son's name? "Ebenezer". I had never heard of anyone using this name as the only time I heard it was in the movie 'A Christmas Carol'. I'll admit, this one shocked me a bit.

I'm not a fan of either. Sorry to anyone on here named Ebenezer or Agamemnon. It's just the uniqueness of these names really stood out to me.

I don't think there's anything particularly wrong with having to spell your name out.. I have to spell my first and last (until we marry). I also have to explain tbe pronunciation of my name, not that it's difficult once you think about it..

My fiance and I are both geeky, I have a hippie background. The type of life we want to provide is slightly less traditional, hence wanting a unique name. Thanks for all the name ideas so far, I shall see if any jump out at us :)

I had a teacher who was named Merlin and he went by his middle name. We didn't know until we saw him mentioned somewhere as, for example, M. John Smith. He hated it and had said people who called him up would laugh (telemarketers, doctor offices) or would have a very preconceived notion/it took a bit to take him seriously because they also assumed it was an adopted name - like how women decided to be yoga teachers and now Barb wants to be called Priya or Dove.

Actually, Ian is popular these days, but my SIL who is a teacher has not had a Paul come through her doors. The youngest Paul was a kid's dad or Grandpa or that Paul is 30 years or older now. Paulina or Paolo, but not Paul. There are no Johns either. The kids are all Cain, Ian, Liam, Brenden, Brantley, Easton, Reece, etc. Unless he's a junior, there are really few Michaels as well. Its weird. Because There were a couple Ians when i was a kid but they were strictly Irish but there were tons of Michaels, Matts, Jasons, Robbie. No Brayleighs, Justices, etc

Archived