LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Baby names (boys)

Platinum Member
    Think about the kid, not just what you like. Is it a name so unusual people don't know if its a girl or boy name or its even a name? I would not put one name on the birth certificate then call the child something else - unless its an understood "nickname" like calling calling Edwin Ed or Ned or Jonathan Jack. Like Eric on the BC and then calling the kid Mordred.

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by bluecastle
    My oldest friend just welcomed his son into the world: Wyatt. I dig it. Sturdy, classic, but a touch unexpected.
    I know no less than 5 little boys with that name.... And i am not a teacher or anyone who is around lots of kids..... One of the Wyatt's parents told me there was another in his preschool class..

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    Originally Posted by abitbroken
    Think about the kid, not just what you like. Is it a name so unusual people don't know if its a girl or boy name or its even a name? I would not put one name on the birth certificate then call the child something else - unless its an understood "nickname" like calling calling Edwin Ed or Ned or Jonathan Jack. Like Eric on the BC and then calling the kid Mordred.
    That is true in a way. I made sure my sonís name was almost impossible to make fun of.

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by Butterfly~Wrists
    I need help! I'm really struggling to find boys names I love. We have two, one I'm not keen on and one I love the name in Welsh but my fiancee doesn't (I can use the Welsh version as long as it's the English version on birth cert).. but I want more options.

We love unusual and unique names, maybe based on mythology arthurian legends etc. Or even completely made up (some if you know my real name is made up)
    We're pretty set on a girl's name. Not finding out the sex so have until mid to late April to get a few names together.

Any ideas please throw my way lol

Butters xx
    I think there is more leeway to make a girl's name up. anything ending in -tine, -elle, -tina, -ella, -ina - ly, etc. people just think its another ethnicity if they have never heard it.

Originally Posted by abitbroken
    In the same vein, I always liked the idea of having a few names in mind and then maybe you don't use them because the baby just suits a particular name.

Wyatt does seem popular now! Fine name, but I associate it with cowboy types. My cousin named her son Wyatt because she liked the name, but her son is gentle and artistic. Just seems so off to me ( has bugged me lol ).

Lachlin, Leland, Tegan, Maddox, Reece, Ronan...
    Last edited by milly007; 01-11-2020 at 11:17 PM.

Platinum Member Butterfly~Wrists's Avatar
    Thanks everyone. Nothing's jumped out to me as yet. It's so difficult. The current leader is Merlin/emrys my mum had two names growing up and she got very confused as a child as at home she'd be one and school the other, which is why I'm wanting to find other names.
    Ian and Paul are so far from unique, sorry to whoever suggested those...
    Wyatt makes me think of rednecks (sorry!!)

A few other unique names I've come across:

Kai, Kilian, Merrick, Ewan, Wyn, Macsen.

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by Butterfly~Wrists
    Thanks everyone. Nothing's jumped out to me as yet. It's so difficult. The current leader is Merlin/emrys my mum had two names growing up and she got very confused as a child as at home she'd be one and school the other, which is why I'm wanting to find other names.
    Ian and Paul are so far from unique, sorry to whoever suggested those...
    Wyatt makes me think of rednecks (sorry!!)
    Why the focus on "unique" to the extent you are? Obviously there's the other end of the spectrum of "oh no everyone is named Joshua"-but is this for you -your partner -or do you think your child would enjoy a unique name (and keeping in mind having to spell it more often for people).

We actually thought our son's name was unique although that wasn't why we picked it. In his grade at school - around 100 kids in the grades throughout elementary -there are two others with his name and he is buddies with one of them!

Ciaran.

But probably not "unique" enough

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice