Valentines Day greeting card. Your mileage may vary.

Betterwithout

As I roamed the greeting card section for a suitable Valentines Day card for my wife, a dark cloud of emotion took over my thoughts.

With over ten choices of cards to choose from, reality set in as I read them.

Those fine terms of endearment written by countless souls in a Hallmark cubicle somewhere are either naive, hopeful or have read way too many romance novels.

Could the words in those cards really reflect the feelings a husband has for his wife or do they merely serve to fill in the blanks for tongue-tied husbands?

This is one of the only Valentines Day's I had difficulty choosing a card. They all seem disingenuous and more importantly not reflective of my current marriage.

My relationship is no fairytale with rainbows and unicorns, so I settled for the most simple and truthful card I could find. At least honesty shall prevail in my soul.

So with card in hand, I briskly went over to the "With Sympathy" section and picked a "Sorry to hear of your loss" card. I think it will serve as a perfect card to address to myself for a inevitable future divorce.

It seems like the price of cards has increased sharply over the last few years. They all used to be $2.99. Now, they're anywhere from $3.99 to $8.99. This past Christmas, I somehow spent upwards of $80.00 on cards for not that many people. Why not just save your $10 for the lawyer and file for divorce?

Two things.

1) I didn't expect any responses. My dry dark sense of humour isn't for everyone.

2) Wow, I was having a rough day yesterday. Geez! Like Annie sang..."the sun will come out tomorrow". It did and I am feeling much better today!

Melancholy123 and Seraphim : Sorry that you each had a parent that failed.

I have a pretty good relationship with my Dad, but my Mom has some horrible habits and behaviours that I've working very hard to not inherit.

The trick is to not let the past or a bad relationship tarnish or define your own self. Easier said than done, but IMO that is the only way around it.

Rise above the bad people in your life, take the high road and be kind and loving ...always.

Peace to you.

Melanchol.y123 and Seraphim : Sorry that you each had a parent that failed.

I have a pretty good relationship with my Dad, but my Mom has some horrible habits and behaviours that I've working very hard to not inherit.

The trick is to not let the past or a bad relationship tarnish or define your own self. Easier said than done, but IMO that is the only way around it.

Rise above the bad people in your life, take the high road and be kind and loving ...always.

Peace to you.

My dad was a good guy, my mother was the opposite. My goal when younger was to not be like her, not treat my kids the way she treated me. I did find myself being unkind to my own daughter and I had to stop and give myself a talking to and remember my vow to not be like her. It was hard, because you live what you learn and I had to undo a lot of negative ways I learned from her. I believe I got there, as I get along fine with my daughter now. Mother was very negative about most things and I was like that and had to overcome it as well, which wasnt easy. I believe that now I am nothing like her :-)

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, words on cards reflect our feelings, but the main thing is next person understand it, I also give card to my hubby on valentines, b.day, wedding anniversary etc, I mostly do prefer to buy through online stores, and this time I already bought a beautiful card for him from Valentine's Day Coupons, If you want to buy then go there, I will share my one pics.

Archived