Anxiety and noise polution

Im not sure which subject this would come under but i guess as its affecting my wellbeing ill put it under this one.

This may not seem like a big deal to some people but to me it is a big deal because its affecting my sleep.

I moved into a flat and i soon found out the neighbour below me has a really loud clicking pull bathroom light. I sleep with ear plugs and have done for years as im a light sleeper but sometimes in the middle of the night i get woken up by it at around 3 to 5am. Its even made me jump before. I suffer from anxiety and sometimes i worry that its going to wake me up and i wont be able to get back to sleep. Ive found thats happened before on a fair few occassions.

It is a silly subject to talk about on here i know but its big enough of a problem that when i have work the next day and im tired from being woken up all the time its not funny.

I have thought about discussing this with the tenant below but i feel i cant ask someone to just not use their light.

I think the tenant is a renter and im thinking of asking them for their landlords number so i can ask the landlord if i can, at my own cost, pay an electrician to fit a quiet pull light. Do you think this is something i could do? If not has anyone got any good ideas on what else i can do. Ear plugs are great help but they dont always stay in my ears

Also was thinking of sound proofing the floor but this is expensive im not sure i can afford the cost.

Even a sound proof box maybe to place over the light, but as its not in my flat obviously its not my place to fit it.

Its affecting my health abit and sleep too

Thanks

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I wouldn't ask the neighbor because this doesn't qualify as the kind of noise that is unacceptable in general and this really might rub her the wrong way - you have to live right near her. I'd do the white noise app and come up with cognitive rituals/mantras to stop the negative tape in your head anticipating the noise/sleep difficulties.

I also have this issue with my husband's snoring -anticipating it will happen causing me anxiety.

Why don't the earplug help and that's great that you can sleep with them (I cannot)

I would spring for a better fan/white noise machine.

Kathy I would deffo try the white noise thing ( I have never heard of it so I am quite interested ) because in the grand scheme of things ..A light pull is nothing to what noise pollution you could be getting . Our walls are paper thin , I can hear my neighbours getting up , the kids running around , cupboards banging and likewise I am pretty sure they must hear every move I make as well .

Going to extreme lengths like contacting the agent /landlord and offering to pay for something more suited to you feels like a massive intrusion , I say that with kindness I really do , but I can't imagine how the neighbour would feel knowing you went to those lengths ....but mainly for you ..where does it stop .

There are you tube video's that last for hours ..I went to sleep with piano music and woke up and it was still playing haha it was 7 hours long , would you be able to do something like that .

You got a bunch of great ideas. I am a light sleeper so I understand your problem. Area rugs would be on my list of things to try, get something from Walmart of Amazon that you can afford. i use ear plugs when in noisy hotels, they do work.

If you can bring yourself to talk to your neighbour, ask them if they can plug in a night light in the bathroom outlet, I have one in mine, just so I can see where I'm going in the middle of the night. Maybe even buy the neighbour a night light, under $5 in a dollar store.

A fan really works too.

Do you have a mobile phone? That is how I use the app when I travel.

Why don't you just turn on a fan. You're making this more difficult than you need to.

Yes i have a phone its on contract without much data thats why i need broadband to run the app all night every night.

I dont have a fan but i have an air purifier and the noise from this helps

It couldn't hurt to ask. The worst he or she could say is "no."

Try wearing sleep ear muffs on top of your ear plugs and see if this will help.

Thats what i was thinking, a few of my mates have said that its a bit cheeky to ask. But if i buy them a brand new switch and get an electrician to fit it as well i dont think its a big deal

So I wouldn't ask the neighbor because this doesn't qualify as the kind of noise that is unacceptable in general and this really might rub her the wrong way - you have to live right near her. I'd do the white noise app and come up with cognitive rituals/mantras to stop the negative tape in your head anticipating the noise/sleep difficulties.

I also have this issue with my husband's snoring -anticipating it will happen causing me anxiety.

Why don't the earplug help and that's great that you can sleep with them (I cannot)

I would spring for a better fan/white noise machine.

Earplugs are great but they never stay in all night. I often have to look for them as they pop out

Kathy I would deffo try the white noise thing ( I have never heard of it so I am quite interested ) because in the grand scheme of things ..A light pull is nothing to what noise pollution you could be getting . Our walls are paper thin , I can hear my neighbours getting up , the kids running around , cupboards banging and likewise I am pretty sure they must hear every move I make as well .

Going to extreme lengths like contacting the agent /landlord and offering to pay for something more suited to you feels like a massive intrusion , I say that with kindness I really do , but I can't imagine how the neighbour would feel knowing you went to those lengths ....but mainly for you ..where does it stop .

There are you tube video's that last for hours ..I went to sleep with piano music and woke up and it was still playing haha it was 7 hours long , would you be able to do something like that .

My friend told me she had neighbours who argued alot and especially at 5am so uour right in the grand sceme of things is nothing.

Thanks you have clarified that i shouldnt ask the neighbour about the light. I do get that, but i think they rent and said they r moving out soon so if the flats empty surely the landlord wouldnt begrude me getting it changed n between tenants?

When i get the broad band sorted this piano music sounds like a good idea, or even a radio might be a good idea (i just thought of that)

Unfortunately that's true. These people are not creating a ruckus, People have the right to use their bathroom . Reread the lease agreement. Get a HEPA filter for white noise. You don't need silly apps. Just a clean airflow and mid white noise.

It sounds more like insomnia if something like this is causing early morning wakening. Healthy people would not be awakened by this type of thong. Get to a doctor for a checkup.

Thats what i was thinking, a few of my mates have said that its a bit cheeky to ask. But if i buy them a brand new switch and get an electrician to fit it as well i dont think its a big deal

Archived