Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 56

Thread: Anxiety and noise polution

  1. #21
    Gold Member kathy679's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    1,037
    Gender
    Female
    Originally Posted by Batya33
    So I wouldn't ask the neighbor because this doesn't qualify as the kind of noise that is unacceptable in general and this really might rub her the wrong way - you have to live right near her. I'd do the white noise app and come up with cognitive rituals/mantras to stop the negative tape in your head anticipating the noise/sleep difficulties.

    I also have this issue with my husband's snoring -anticipating it will happen causing me anxiety.

    Why don't the earplug help and that's great that you can sleep with them (I cannot)

    I would spring for a better fan/white noise machine.
    Earplugs are great but they never stay in all night. I often have to look for them as they pop out

  2. #22
    Gold Member kathy679's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    1,037
    Gender
    Female
    Originally Posted by pippy longstocking
    Kathy I would deffo try the white noise thing ( I have never heard of it so I am quite interested ) because in the grand scheme of things ..A light pull is nothing to what noise pollution you could be getting . Our walls are paper thin , I can hear my neighbours getting up , the kids running around , cupboards banging and likewise I am pretty sure they must hear every move I make as well .

    Going to extreme lengths like contacting the agent /landlord and offering to pay for something more suited to you feels like a massive intrusion , I say that with kindness I really do , but I can't imagine how the neighbour would feel knowing you went to those lengths ....but mainly for you ..where does it stop .

    There are you tube video's that last for hours ..I went to sleep with piano music and woke up and it was still playing haha it was 7 hours long , would you be able to do something like that .
    My friend told me she had neighbours who argued alot and especially at 5am so uour right in the grand sceme of things is nothing.

    Thanks you have clarified that i shouldnt ask the neighbour about the light. I do get that, but i think they rent and said they r moving out soon so if the flats empty surely the landlord wouldnt begrude me getting it changed n between tenants?

    When i get the broad band sorted this piano music sounds like a good idea, or even a radio might be a good idea (i just thought of that)

  3. #23
    Gold Member kathy679's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    1,037
    Gender
    Female
    Originally Posted by boltnrun
    You don't need continuous broadband. Download an app. I have a few, one with rain sounds, one with ocean sounds and one with water sounds. You only download it once, then you can play it whenever you want.
    Brilliant ill try this too

  4. #24
    Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    51,380
    Originally Posted by kathy679
    Earplugs are great but they never stay in all night. I often have to look for them as they pop out
    Yes- I've never been able to use them and sleep well. I do use an eye mask though -nothing to do with noise but prepares my body for sleep.

  5.  

  6. #25
    Platinum Member Wiseman2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Cloud Nine
    Posts
    37,531
    Gender
    Male
    Unfortunately that's true. These people are not creating a ruckus, People have the right to use their bathroom . Reread the lease agreement. Get a HEPA filter for white noise. You don't need silly apps. Just a clean airflow and mid white noise.

    It sounds more like insomnia if something like this is causing early morning wakening. Healthy people would not be awakened by this type of thong. Get to a doctor for a checkup.
    Originally Posted by kathy679
    Thats what i was thinking, a few of my mates have said that its a bit cheeky to ask. But if i buy them a brand new switch and get an electrician to fit it as well i dont think its a big deal

  7. #26
    Gold Member kathy679's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    1,037
    Gender
    Female
    Originally Posted by Wiseman2
    Unfortunately that's true. These people are not creating a ruckus, People have the right to use their bathroom . Reread the lease agreement. Get a HEPA filter for white noise. You don't need silly apps. Just a clean airflow and mid white noise.

    It sounds more like insomnia if something like this is causing early morning wakening. Healthy people would not be awakened by this type of thong. Get to a doctor for a checkup.
    I have no trouble with sleeping as i can sleep all night, i am just a light sleeper and sometimes i do suffer from anxiety too but 9 times out of ten my anxiety is ok its just when im bothered by an issue that it flares. I didnt know you could get a white noise filter for a hepa filter ill look into it, although my current hepa air purifier does help

  8. #27
    Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    22,436
    Originally Posted by kathy679
    My friend told me she had neighbours who argued alot and especially at 5am so uour right in the grand sceme of things is nothing.

    Thanks you have clarified that i shouldnt ask the neighbour about the light. I do get that, but i think they rent and said they r moving out soon so if the flats empty surely the landlord wouldnt begrude me getting it changed n between tenants?

    When i get the broad band sorted this piano music sounds like a good idea, or even a radio might be a good idea (i just thought of that)
    You do not have to be connected to use an app. I use White Noise app. It is free.
    Last edited by Hollyj; 01-06-2020 at 11:37 AM.

  9. #28
    Platinum Member maew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    1,814
    Just looked at noise cancelling headphones, good in theory but i wouldnt be able to sleep in them i tried ear muffs to hold the ear plugs in place and when i went to lay on ny side they soon became redundant
    I highly recommend something called Sleepphones by Acoustic Sheep.... they are headphones that are made for sleeping in.

    I am a light sleeper as well... I wear them when I travel, and when my BF stays over I wear them to drown out his snoring.

    I also use a white noise app called Sleep Pillow... pay like a $30 fee and you can download all of their sounds onto your phone... and it won't use any of your data. Well worth the $$. They have all sorts of sounds and you can mix them together to find one that works.

  10. #29
    Platinum Member DancingFool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Wilds of Texas
    Posts
    10,424
    Gender
    Female
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with offering to get the switch fixed. If the neighbors are tenants, just get the landlord's contact info and get in touch. Doubt very much anyone is going to care or turn you down in terms of fixing the switch. No need to make such a huge deal out of this when simple communication and fixing the problem will do, especially since you are offering to pay to get it done. Sometimes I'm amazed at people's fear to talk or address issues in a practical way. It doesn't hurt to ask and worst case is the landlord will say "no", which I doubt they'll do if you are paying. So much ado about nothing.....

  11. #30
    Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    51,380
    Originally Posted by DancingFool
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with offering to get the switch fixed. If the neighbors are tenants, just get the landlord's contact info and get in touch. Doubt very much anyone is going to care or turn you down in terms of fixing the switch. No need to make such a huge deal out of this when simple communication and fixing the problem will do, especially since you are offering to pay to get it done. Sometimes I'm amazed at people's fear to talk or address issues in a practical way. It doesn't hurt to ask and worst case is the landlord will say "no", which I doubt they'll do if you are paying. So much ado about nothing.....
    I disagree -it's intrusive and strange. And it will concern the neighbor that if she buys a gadget or has children in the house who play with certain toys that she'll have to deal with complaints on that as well. It would be like if my neighbor asked me not to run my washer or dishwasher outside of quiet times (when I usually will not although not sure if it includes that sort of thing). It doesn't sound like the switch needs fixing and I for one do not like having people in my home fixing things unless it's necessary -it's inconvenient and I have to make sure their shoes are removed, etc. I think she's overreaching. If it's not this type of noise there will be another one. It's multi-dwelling living.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •