Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Prayers/ Good thoughts for the people and animals of Australia.

I live close to the fires. It is going to be 45degC here today (113 deg F), and very strong winds.
    A state of emergency has been issued, meaning the govt can close roads, force people to evacuate, take what ever measures needed to keep people safe.
    The South Coast is burning, places my children & I visited on holidays often have been destroyed.
    Our "Prime Minister"was on an overseas holiday in Hawaii when this became catastrophic. He finally came back to huge backlash, fire victims that have lost everything refusing to shake his hand, all being broadcast on the news.
    There is literally no way to stop these fires other than massive rain. This has been forecast for March.
    Firies are trying to back burn as much as they can in the cooler days, and then start fighting the fires to protect property when its hot & windy.

The biggest issue is that paid firefighters are in the cities, where as the rural ones are all volunteers. These men & women are fighting fires 24/7. Their own families, employers and businesses are suffering. After much complaining, the govt has finally decided to pay them a lump sum of $6,000 each.

I've seen bush fires, but nothing like this. It is like the apocalypse

Platinum Member
    When I left this thread earlier I knew there was someone else and it is you and I am sure there is another regular as well ...my memory ! So glad you posted ..

Yes it was all over our news in the UK what happened with your PM

Sorry for what is happening to your country shelly , you are all in my thoughts x

Thanks Pippy!
    I'm glad our PM is being roasted overseas as well.
    He has even made it into the Urban Dictionary. His name is Scott Morrison, his nick name is Scomo.
    So "doing a scomo"means shirking your responsibilities onto others while you scurry away for a holiday!!!

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    Originally Posted by shellyf62
    I live close to the fires. It is going to be 45degC here today (113 deg F), and very strong winds.
    A state of emergency has been issued, meaning the govt can close roads, force people to evacuate, take what ever measures needed to keep people safe.
    The South Coast is burning, places my children & I visited on holidays often have been destroyed.
    Our "Prime Minister"was on an overseas holiday in Hawaii when this became catastrophic. He finally came back to huge backlash, fire victims that have lost everything refusing to shake his hand, all being broadcast on the news.
    There is literally no way to stop these fires other than massive rain. This has been forecast for March.
    Firies are trying to back burn as much as they can in the cooler days, and then start fighting the fires to protect property when its hot & windy.

The biggest issue is that paid firefighters are in the cities, where as the rural ones are all volunteers. These men & women are fighting fires 24/7. Their own families, employers and businesses are suffering. After much complaining, the govt has finally decided to pay them a lump sum of $6,000 each.

I've seen bush fires, but nothing like this. It is like the apocalypse
    I am so sorry sweetheart. :(

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    Originally Posted by pippy longstocking
    okie dokes keep me posted and have a good evening <3
    I am pretty sure I found her FB but not sure if I should intrude.

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by LootieTootie
    Saw some videos of it with animals running for their lives and it aches my heart too! The threat of climate change is real :,(
    Unfortunately, while many of these fires come from natural causes (including lightning strikes in dry electrical storms), the sad truth is that many are deliberately lit.

There are at least two persons awaiting trial who were arrested here in October/November.

Proportion of deliberate bushfires in Australia

The Australian Institute of Criminology found that,Ēon average across the country, approximately 13 percent of vegetation fires are recorded as being deliberate and another 37 percent as suspicious. That is, for all vegetation fires for which there is a cause recorded, 50 percent may be lit deliberately.Ē

[Register to see the link]

Originally Posted by pippy longstocking
    Carus posting so we know he is ok
    Thankyou both for the kind thoughts. What wonderful empathic people you are <3

Thankfully yes Iím ok at the moment. The only problem here at the moment is a small drought..in the tropics during whatís supposed to be wet season...!

My main concern (although I try not to think about it) is the volcano and earthquakes...

The planet is not happy thatís for sure.

These fires are definitely some of the worst weíve seen. Iím praying daily that things will subside soon*

The firefighters have also copped a bit of flak here and there but I understand. People are afraid and get angry and have to direct that somewhere...even at the very people who are doing their best Iím sure*

Stages of grief for sure.....

Carus*

Thank you !!!

Originally Posted by Carus
    Thankyou both for the kind thoughts. What wonderful empathic people you are <3

Thankfully yes Iím ok at the moment. The only problem here at the moment is a small drought..in the tropics during whatís supposed to be wet season...!

My main concern (although I try not to think about it) is the volcano and earthquakes...

The planet is not happy thatís for sure.

These fires are definitely some of the worst weíve seen. Iím praying daily that things will subside soon*

The firefighters have also copped a bit of flak here and there but I understand. People are afraid and get angry and have to direct that somewhere...even at the very people who are doing their best Iím sure*

Stages of grief for sure.....

Carus*
    Glad you are safe too!

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by shellyf62
    Thanks Pippy!
    I'm glad our PM is being roasted overseas as well.
    He has even made it into the Urban Dictionary. His name is Scott Morrison, his nick name is Scomo.
    So "doing a scomo"means shirking your responsibilities onto others while you scurry away for a holiday!!!
    We have bushfires every summer. These ones are the worst since at least the '80s (possibly the 70's), to be sure, but its not exactly novel.

The PM traditionally takes a 2 week break at Xmas/new year, because its the 'down time' politically - the appropriate time for it.

The personalised reaction against him is understandable, coming from people who are suffering anxiety/grief reactions and lashing out.

But what exactly was the responsibility he shirked?

And who are these "others" you speak of? The heads of the fire and emergency services are supposed to be in control of the response, not the PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Videos

Maintaining A Strong Relationship

Detaching From a Malignant Man

Divorced Parents Prefer Technology and Social Media As Communication Tool

Wedding Jitters Could Be a Predictor for a Future Divorce

Botox Fights Depression And Makes You Feel Happier

Men Are More Sensitive than Women when Having Relationship Problems
Give Advice
Ask For Advice