Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Vertical Blinds and my kitten

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by catfeeder
    I don't understand this. You can pull down the blinds to knee height or so to accommodate the cat, but I don't get why you believe that you can't ever pull them up if you want to? Or tilt them?
    Vertical are the ones that are or on a sliding door wall. you can't raise them to knee length, but you can open them to the left or right

Gold Member
    Originally Posted by catfeeder
    I don't understand this. You can pull down the blinds to knee height or so to accommodate the cat, but I don't get why you believe that you can't ever pull them up if you want to? Or tilt them?
    You know, what I wrote doesn't even makes sense - LOL! And, I wasn't even drinking! What I meant was that, because of how they're designed, one can only push them to the side. Sounds better? LOL

My dog loves the whole window thing too. I have had neighbors tell me how loyal he is by waiting for me at the window when I come home - which could be true but the window is like one of his favorite five places to sleep and hang out. I live in an apartment so I am not sure if my experience will help.

At first I just tidy up my room before I left the house so if anyone saw my dog at the window, they would see a small and tidy room. That's all.

But a year later when we got a TV in the room we decided we didn't want people seeing the big smart TV so we put up some nice heavy curtains behind the blinds. We rent too and we are not supposed to put up curtains but there's a way you can cover the drill holes when you move out. Google it. So now we cover the window when we leave and he knows there's an open in the middle for him to push his head through the curtains to look outside. It's silly and I have seen people while walking by my window laughing and smiling when they see his head thru the heavy curtains. Not sure if you can train a kitten not to pull curtains but if you really don't want your cat to mess up your blinds and really don't want to open up your blinds, maybe try curtains.

Horizontal blinds are a good idea!

Assuming they are not just the vinyl ones, what harm can a kitten do?

If they are fabric, change them out for a set of cheap vinyl ones in the meantime. They are fairly inexpensive.

It's much like making your home childproof. Good luck with the new kitty!

Originally Posted by goddess
    You know, what I wrote doesn't even makes sense - LOL! And, I wasn't even drinking! What I meant was that, because of how they're designed, one can only push them to the side. Sounds better? LOL
    Yes, I get that. My suggestion is to switch them out to horizontals. Then you can pull them down just low enough for privacy even while kitty gets the floor level for the window.

Originally Posted by reinventmyself
    Assuming they are not just the vinyl ones, what harm can a kitten do?

If they are fabric, change them out for a set of cheap vinyl ones in the meantime. They are fairly inexpensive.

It's much like making your home childproof. Good luck with the new kitty!
    That's what's perplexing me. If we're talking big plastic danglies, that's probably as kitten-proof as blinds get. I gotta stick with my hunch that kitty's not supposed to be there and OP wants to train it not to peek its head out to the public, which would be unfortunate if true.

Originally Posted by j.man
    That's what's perplexing me. If we're talking big plastic danglies, that's probably as kitten-proof as blinds get. I gotta stick with my hunch that kitty's not supposed to be there and OP wants to train it not to peek its head out to the public, which would be unfortunate if true.
    Let's assume that that's not the case, because keeping kitty in the dark is really mean.

I'd caution against the kind with cords, as cats can hang themselves. If they have cords, pin them up out of reach.

There are also cat guards you can get for screens when you want to open the sliders in warm weather.

double sided tape always works for me, congrats on your new fur baby

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Videos

Maintaining A Strong Relationship

Detaching From a Malignant Man

Divorced Parents Prefer Technology and Social Media As Communication Tool

Wedding Jitters Could Be a Predictor for a Future Divorce

Botox Fights Depression And Makes You Feel Happier

Men Are More Sensitive than Women when Having Relationship Problems
Give Advice
Ask For Advice