How would you react if your SO told you he or she was attracted to someone else?

Sirhc

Of course, I understand it's natural, but, at the same time, I don't really feel the need to hear about it.

This level of trust in a relationship seems uncommon, and as such, wonder what a genuine, non-snarky, non-hurtful response might look like.

I am interested to hear other people's thoughts.

thanks..

How long have you been dating? Is this the woman you have been dating since your divorce? Was this in a bar or other public place party? How did this topic/conversation come about?

For example if you're watching TV and she says "so-and-so actor is good looking", you are overreacting. If she out of the blue said "my neighbor is so hot I am thinking about F-ing his brains out"...well that's quite something else

I don't really feel the need to hear about it. wonder what a genuine, non-snarky, non-hurtful response might look like.

I think it's unnecessary unless you're in the early, early stages of getting to know one another and joking around.

Blurting out how good looking an actress is after years of marriage would be weird. There are a million and one things to notice about a person and if looks are the forefront of commentary, it just sounds dull/boring/unnecessary in a sense. I may be biased as it's not something my husband would do (speaking of personality types) so this is why it would be out of the ordinary. If he said he was attracted to an actress, this also doesn't sound right.

From the OP's question it seems to refer to another ordinary person in her partner's life. If that's the case, yes, highly inappropriate.

In real life, or in the movies or on TV? That, IMO, will make a difference.

If it's IRL, then it's very inappropriate, thoughtless, disrespectful and plain stupid on his part. We all notice people who are attractive (we are human, after all) but he should keep it to himself and NOT say it to your face.

If it's pertaining to an actor/actress then it's acceptable if he words it a tasteful way.

Yes, context is important however, in general it's a very disrespectful thing to do and hurtful, mind you.

I have no idea why someone would tell someone they are dating, this kind of thing. Mindless, thoughtless, inconsiderate, are the words that come to mind.

Pay attention, this is a red flag in my opinion and could very well mean more disrespect and not caring about your feelings down the line.

Archived