Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Thread: Money and issues with grandma

Remember it takes most new small businesses on average 6 months before they start making enough to pay the bills (business bills, not personal bills). It would be wise to have at least 6 months worth of personal and business expenses saved up so you can cover for not having any income.

My brother started his own business a few years ago. Despite a lot of interest from potential customers it still took him a year before he could quit his full time job. He is very successful now, but he spends a majority of every day working on the business. And there's no such thing as "weekends". He would laugh at the idea.

See Seraphim's journal for an idea of the time commitment running your own business requires.

Yes, indeed.

JD, I think the picture you're not seeing here, is that people who are life coaches actually have their life and relationships together.
    You do not.

You cannot make things work properly with your family, you and your husband are having difficulties and are nowhere in a good place financially.
    You barely have a decent place to live

Without being sarcastic, why would anyone listen to you? I mean, you could pretend that you've got it altogether, but you don't.

Don't get me wrong, I am not shooting down your dreams, but I think you are jumping the gun and again, you need to be properly educated.
    Licenses, certificates, diplomas, they DO matter.

It's difficult for you to see where we are coming from. You might think we're being mean and negative. But you need far more experience, far more education and to be in a much better place in life.
    Give yourself realistic expectations, 10 years down the line you could very well be doing what you want to do once you get educated and certified properly.

You've got great dreams, but you are no where near that right now. You can barely pay rent and are on the outs with your family.

Anyone can write a blog. Anyone can record and post YouTube videos. The trick is getting enough viewers/subscribers who are willing to pay you for your advice or information.

What exactly is a relationship coach? Is that someone who teaches people how to date or how to conduct healthy relationships? How does that differ from a therapist (other than the education requirements, of course)?

You apparently write well, but so do thousands of other people. How are you going to get your name out there so that people will be willing to get out their credit or debit cards to pay you?

My niece and one of my nephews decided they were going to forgo college to be "YouTube stars". My niece likes to do makeup and my nephew says he's funny. They think because they saw some kid making thousands posting videos that they can do the same thing. But how many out there are trying and not making it? Thankfully my niece changed her mind and decided on college after all.

I also have a coworker who has a YouTube channel and enough followers to have paid ads on his channel, but his ultimate goal is to quit working so he can be an R & B superstar singer. He's been trying for 8 years and still hasn't been able to quit his full time job.

I mentioned my brother earlier. It took him 10 years to get where he is right now. He is very successful but only after a LOT of blood, sweat, tears and false starts. And working a full time job until he could afford to quit. He's married but his wife understands completely that he is basically not available that much to her and their children. He had to make a lot of sacrifices.

I never want anyone to give up their dreams. But the kind of career you're hoping for absolutely has to be after you've worked a regular job and saved enough to afford to not be making any money for at least 6 months to one year. And have a "Plan B" in case the relationship coach/paid blogger gig doesn't work out.

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    I was only able to start my business because my husband floated my start up but I knew 100% there was a need for my business and I had the qualifications to do the job. I have been in business just over a year now. I will say I am exhausted. Having your own business is hard. It is ALL on you.

Originally Posted by SherrySher
    JD, I think the picture you're not seeing here, is that people who are life coaches actually have their life and relationships together.
    You do not.

You cannot make things work properly with your family, you and your husband are having difficulties and are nowhere in a good place financially.
    You barely have a decent place to live

Without being sarcastic, why would anyone listen to you? I mean, you could pretend that you've got it altogether, but you don't.

Don't get me wrong, I am not shooting down your dreams, but I think you are jumping the gun and again, you need to be properly educated.
    Licenses, certificates, diplomas, they DO matter.

It's difficult for you to see where we are coming from. You might think we're being mean and negative. But you need far more experience, far more education and to be in a much better place in life.
    Give yourself realistic expectations, 10 years down the line you could very well be doing what you want to do once you get educated and certified properly.

You've got great dreams, but you are no where near that right now. You can barely pay rent and are on the outs with your family.
    I didn't want to get too detailed on here. My niche is advice to women about dating and navigating relationships with men, attraction, standards, etc. It's to the women who wonder where all the good guys have gone, to the ones who want to get rid of the jerks and a-hole and instead date gentlemen and reward good behavior in men.

I might have financial obstacles to get around, but one thing in my life that I have mastered is how to be attractive to men, take the best one in the bunch, keep him around. I strongly believe I have a unique angle on these topics that doesn't exist out there nearly as much as it should.

Women already do want to listen to my advice. I know I could write sell books without getting formal education, BUT I understand that's still better to continue higher education, regardless, and I intend to do so in the future.

My grandma and I have talked and things are at a calm now.

For additional reasons other than what I have explained on here, it's best that I have a relationship with her from more a distance. We had a much better relationship before I moved here on her property. I'm sure it will be better again when we move out in a couple days.

Right now, I have to focus on packing and getting this place cleaned up for my dad to move in. Then I will be on the job hunt full time. Thanks everyone for your input.

I didn't want to get too detailed on here. My niche is advice to women about dating and navigating relationships with men, attraction, standards, etc. It's to the women who wonder where all the good guys have gone, to the ones who want to get rid of the jerks and a-hole and instead date gentlemen and reward good behavior in men.

I might have financial obstacles to get around, but one thing in my life that I have mastered is how to be attractive to men, take the best one in the bunch, keep him around. I strongly believe I have a unique angle on these topics that doesn't exist out there nearly as much as it should.
    Again, nice ideas, but you're not the first. There are many many books, blogs, YouTube videos, etc out there from other women just like this.
    Maybe do more research at the very least.

You sound like you think you know it all just from life experience, and no education. To those of us who are older than you and some of us ARE educated and have advised for many years, you can see why maybe why we're not taking you seriously.

I mean, you barely can keep a roof over your head or have money to look after a cat.

You've got great ideas, but it still does not mean you know what you're talking about or have had enough life experience or education to back any of it up.

Anyhow, I wish you the best. I am sure at some point you will find out that what we've been banging on about, is true.

Thanks everyone!

Have you read through this thread on internet relationship coaches?: [Register to see the link]

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by JDAnthony

Women already do want to listen to my advice. I know I could write sell books without getting formal education, BUT I understand that's still better to continue higher education, regardless, and I intend to do so in the future.

My grandma and I have talked and things are at a calm now.

For additional reasons other than what I have explained on here, it's best that I have a relationship with her from more a distance. We had a much better relationship before I moved here on her property. I'm sure it will be better again when we move out in a couple days.

Right now, I have to focus on packing and getting this place cleaned up for my dad to move in. Then I will be on the job hunt full time. Thanks everyone for your input.
    Good luck and glad you resolved your issues with your grandmother! - your niche from what you describe is nothing new under the sun and I mean that with all respect - many many women seek out and take my advice over many many years now - about 25-30 years - and I have no formal education and have never tried to charge for it or write about it nor would I because I'm very familiar with what is available out there and from women who have what you have plus all the credentials and academic accomplishments and representation by agents, publishers, etc - (one of my favorite talk radio psychologists/authors died a few years ago- Dr. Joy Browne).

I respect you think your angle is unique. It may be. It won't pay the bills and likely will get you into more debt. Helping others is laudable and keep doing it! Just not as a money making thing unless you want to pursue a degree and you have connections no one else has -that needs to be your unique niche.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Give Advice
Ask For Advice