LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Money and issues with grandma

Platinum Member
    Ghostwriting, unless you are such a high professional level that celebrities are knocking on your door to ghostwrite their autobiography, that is called a side job that you do after your regular job until you are at the level that you are in demand and its lucrative. Or get tear sheets together and apply when they are looking for writers at your local paper to cover high school sports events or something to get in the writing door. And get another job on top of it because it doesn't pay much. If two people can't afford $900 a month together, you need to get other training to get better jobs or you need to watch your money better. After paying grandma, stop using the credit card except for absolute emergencies.

Platinum Member
    what about moving back home to your old area

I agree with Wiseman, even if you have to live in a smaller apartment with no pets so you can live within your means, so be it.

Many of us live the same and make sacrifices in order to stay out of debt.

Grandma has been paid and I have apologized for hurting her. Thanks everyone for your responses.

With regards to work, I'm applying for part time and full time within my field of skills, which is content writing and my niche specialty is dating and relationship dynamics, but I also write about other lifestyle topics as well. As I've talked about before, I'm building an online audience through articles and blog posts. For quite a while, I was only doing this as a hobby but I've since realized this is the only thing I really want to do. I think if I put enough effort and consistency into what I'm already doing, I can have an audience to sell products and services that I create directly to through my website. So I am dedicating at LEAST 20 hours a week to this, if not more if I have the time. I got up at 5am today and knocked out an article, before I went to my retail job. Then I come home and check job offers, both local and remote on Indeed, Linkedin, and Glassdoor and apply to jobs I find interesting there. This is going to be my routine until something happens. All I know is that I don't have what it takes to work in retail anymore. The job I have now wasn't the job I had when I first came to this place. I was stocking during non business hours and I loved it because I didn't have to interact with Karen and Doris about coupons. But the stocking overnight shift was done away with by corporate and they offered me a position on the salesfloor during the day and I've hated it ever since. But I've been sticking it out until I find something better. Don't get me wrong. I respect those who have in them to do this job effectively without anxiety, but that's just not me. We all have our place in life.

To the last person who asked about moving back to where we were, we've thought about it. Neither one of us like it there aside from the little bit of family we have left there. That and there are no good jobs there for my husband who is limited to where he can work due to some medical issues. Rent was cheap but so are the employers.

Wow didn't mean for this to turn into a whole story.

which is content writing and my niche specialty is dating and relationship dynamics
    Have you been educated in any kind of counselling, psych classes, social work, or anything along those lines? Or are you just "winging it"? You have a nice idea, though if you want to expand, most people will want someone who is educated in this area and not just guessing from experience.

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by JDAnthony
    Grandma has been paid and I have apologized for hurting her. Thanks everyone for your responses.

With regards to work, I'm applying for part time and full time within my field of skills, which is content writing and my niche specialty is dating and relationship dynamics, but I also write about other lifestyle topics as well. As I've talked about before, I'm building an online audience through articles and blog posts. For quite a while, I was only doing this as a hobby but I've since realized this is the only thing I really want to do. I think if I put enough effort and consistency into what I'm already doing, I can have an audience to sell products and services that I create directly to through my website. So I am dedicating at LEAST 20 hours a week to this, if not more if I have the time. I got up at 5am today and knocked out an article, before I went to my retail job. Then I come home and check job offers, both local and remote on Indeed, Linkedin, and Glassdoor and apply to jobs I find interesting there. This is going to be my routine until something happens. All I know is that I don't have what it takes to work in retail anymore. The job I have now wasn't the job I had when I first came to this place. I was stocking during non business hours and I loved it because I didn't have to interact with Karen and Doris about coupons. But the stocking overnight shift was done away with by corporate and they offered me a position on the salesfloor during the day and I've hated it ever since. But I've been sticking it out until I find something better. Don't get me wrong. I respect those who have in them to do this job effectively without anxiety, but that's just not me. We all have our place in life.

To the last person who asked about moving back to where we were, we've thought about it. Neither one of us like it there aside from the little bit of family we have left there. That and there are no good jobs there for my husband who is limited to where he can work due to some medical issues. Rent was cheap but so are the employers.

Wow didn't mean for this to turn into a whole story.
    I found one of my favorite jobs when I went to the unemployment/job corps/career center office several times a week. It was posted on the board. I called and was interviewed the next day. It might be a good place to go so someone can look at your resume - there was an interviewing and resume class. Most jobs are snagged because of knowing someone, not from applying on Glassdoor. LinkedIn can work if your profile is strong and again, those connections help.

With writing, you need a tear sheet. They want people who are experts in the field they write about, not simply good writers. For example, they want a PA or Doctor who can also write in an engaging manner to write medical articles, or a full time farmer to write about agricultural topics, not just someone who looks stuff up online. Do you have any counseling experience to back up your relationship articles? I am not trying to be discouraging, but you may want to get some credentials.

If you really want to focus on your articles, then get a job that you don't have to "bring home with you" like data entry or shelf stocker and write on your days off until you have a good income in it enough to quit.

I have enrolled in some through Coursera, although I don't yet have any formal degrees or certifications, but I'm looking into that.

Most of my writing is based on experience, observation, and pulling from studies/statistical data.

There are ways to position yourself as an authority in your field and build clientele without having a fancy University degree, (one called the "Know, Like, and Trust factor") but I intent on furthering my knowledge and education through whatever means I have.

Yes, get some classes and credentials, because if you truly do want to be taken seriously and hopefully make some kind of career out of it, you will need credentials.

Everyone has experience, and everyone has an opinion, it doesn't mean people will pay to hear it.

Blogs are one thing...it's free to read, but add in money to the mix and people will want someone who has been formally educated.

Are you and your husband able to pay the monthly rent and utilities, internet access, plus food, fuel costs, etc. on what you're currently earning?

Originally Posted by boltnrun
    Are you and your husband able to pay the monthly rent and utilities, internet access, plus food, fuel costs, etc. on what you're currently earning?
    Yes at this new place place we should be able to cover the necessities as far as rent and utilities but should anything come up, like a car repair needed (and stuff like this often does) that's what I'm worried about, along with actually paying off credit card and loan debt.

Emergencies is how we got into debt here: First, we had to travel back home for his moms funeral. On the way there, our engine blew and we had to get the car towed, replace the whole engine, and use a rental car for a month until his car was fixed. Plus my husband had to help pay for the actual funeral.

Then he went to the ER twice last year with no insurance.

Then my sister gave me her car to use but it needed a lot of repairs and replacements. That was only a couple thousand and my dad helped pay for some of that but about half that went on my credit card. There's no public transportation here so before I had the car, I was Ubering to and from work if I couldn't get someone else I knew for a lift for a good while but that costed me anywhere between $30- $80 a week, depending.

So now we have cut down on unnecessary costs. He had a gym membership he cancelled. I cancelled netflix and we both switched to a cheaper phone service plan. We'll probably eat cheap for a while too, no eating out.

Just hoping nothing else happens that puts us in deep.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice