Is he invited or being friendly?

Lucy1997

My guy friend is obsessed with card/board games. (We are college age and work in a cafeteria so it’s kinda chill)

I’ve been to his house 3 times in a week to play.

he's also invited me twice to hang out and play games with his friends (I didn’t go) a third time he mentioned if he was playing games he’d tell me but he spaced and didn’t and he apologized the next day for forgetting.

Yesterday at work we played 4 games of 20 questions. (A game where i have 20 questions to guess what he’s thinking)

Does this boy like me or are is he being friendly?

is it possible he does and he’s scared of losing the friendship?

I’ll also add that he always gives me a ride to work and home when we work together about 2-3 days a week

Based on what you wrote, it's impossible to know if he's more than just a platonic friend. I'm assuming that you are asking this question because you are interested in him. Are there any signs or indications that he returns that interest? He certainly seems happy to hang out with you and share the hobby of playing games, which is a good start.

How long have you known him? If your communication and time together only recently increased, I would wait a bit and observe his actions/words towards you. It is usually pretty easy to tell when someone has romantic interest in you, unless they are actively trying to appear to not like you.

It's common at your ages to hang out with both sexes. He doesn't sound shy to me. It's a new friendship. I can't see him scared of losing you as a friend as it sounds like he has lots of them, and guys who are really into a girl at this new stage would be hoping she had a crush on him so he could start something with her.

I think it's your hopeful feelings that you're giving excuses for him, and trying to find signs he's into you. He's not showing anything besides a normal friendship, so if you want something more, you can be a little flirty and see if he responds. Find a reason to touch his arm for emphasis. Compliment him on something, such as his shirt or that he has really cool eyes, or a great sense of humor--something like that.

Sometimes there are clueless guys and you have to make the first move, or at least be blatant about your interest in something more. I knew at least one guy like that--my old boss who was divorced. His gf told me that she basically had to go full force on him, and he was shocked that such a pretty woman would be interested in him. He wasn't smooth in that area.

Perhaps he's just not into you that way, but you can do your part to find out sooner than later, so you're not wasting your time wondering about a dead end, if that ends up being the case. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Why do you call it an obsession? It sounds like that is what he likes to do -others like to play games on their phones or be on their phones for hours a day -are they "obsessed" too? I can't tell whether he's interested in dating you but he likes hanging out with you. You can ask if he wants to go see a movie with you and see what he says.

I read the title of your post and my immediate thought is this- if you have to wonder, then no. he is not into you

It's not impossible that he is. He may be.. but generally speaking, if someone likes you, you feel it or they make it known to you.

The fact that he "spaced out and forgot to include you, makes me think, friends... but then also makes me think, does he hang with you because no one else is around or what? As a friend I could see, he deciding not to do anything and just letting it slide... but spacing out and forgetting to include you in something? ughhh...

I don't think you're reading him right.

edited to add: sorry!

Just curious though - Lucy, what do you make of all the games?

Is this something you dig? An offshoot off Batya's comment, I'm reading a little resentment there in your first post (post #1) or are you a bit fed up with the repetitiveness of the game-playing? Maybe you're hoping he'll pay more attention to you but he's bonkers about the board games only. There's nothing wrong with board games or playing games if that's his past time but if he can't stop long enough to look into your eyes and notice the way you did your hair or tell you you're pretty or ask you to go out with him somewhere, isn't this a little boring for you over time? I'm just wondering if your interest in him would fade if this is all there is.

It is clear that you like him but it doesn't appear you've done anything to step out from the evaluation time. So that is were it will stay, he is a buddy and you are one of the crowd. Which may be a good thing, his enjoyments don't seem to be completely yours. From your post, it is easy to imagine the conversation that would start around date #4 which begins the suggestion phase of dating "So do you have to always be obsessed with games, we need to go out to other places..." Anyway, keep looking for someone who will be more than a buddy.

Archived