Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How likely am I to get accepted into the Air Force?

How likely am I to get accepted into the Air Force?

Hello,
    I just turned 26 about a week ago or so and feel more miserable and lost in my life than ever. I work a fulltime job, have my own apartment, car, work out 4-6 days a week, etc... but I'm missing something. Since high school I always considered enlisting in the Air Force or the Navy and did plenty research and what not. This never happened as I went to a technical college for two years and worked different odd jobs until 3.5 half years ago when I started my current job.

In the past year or so I've seriously considering the military more and more but have had hesitations to see a recruiter. I've known plenty of people who previously served or are currently in the Air Force and they had more positive than negative things to say. Last week I finally got in touch with an Air Force recruiter and asked to meet. He got back to me almost immediately and I met with him on Friday. The recruiter seemed like a nice guy and said he was impressed with by knowledge and appreciated that I've done my research.

Here's where things get tricky: I currently have OCD and everyone I've spoken to (veteran's, or currently serving members) all told me to lie and not mention anything as OCD is supposedly an automatic disqualifier. I, being the moron I am mentioned the OCD when the recruiter asked if I had any psychological issues. I told him the truth that I'm copping and he said it shouldn't be a huge deal as he'd put in for a waiver and that's he's seen crazier things get approved. He continued on with the process, asked what kind of job I was interested in (Security Forces and he told me did SF for 8 years and loved it). The recruiter gave me my paperwork to fill out, sent me a practice ASVAB test and asked to meet me again in a week.

I'm a smaller guy.. 5'4" and about 110lbs but I'm pretty fit physically as I can run 1.5 miles in less than 12.25 minutes (13.45 is the minimum for males), I do push ups, situps and what not every day. It's my OCD that is a problem. I've been told by several different people that there are people with ADHD, sleep disorders, sickle cell disease, and other things. I don't see how OCD should be an automatic disqualifier. I feel I'd be the perfect recruit: 26, single, no children, nothing really holding me back. I'd be more than willing to lay down my life for my country and fellow comrades. Part of me feels I'd the recruiter knew right away I wouldn't make it but continued on with the process because he didn't want to ruin my hopes and dreams on the spot.

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    All you can do is give it a try. My husband has mental health issues including OCD and been military since 1986. The last 11 years Air Force. However, he was diagnosed long after enrolment. Years and years after.

The issue is how it can affect your ability to deploy.

However, if you are American I am not sure how your system works.

Imo, there is no point in stressing about this. It's not like you can do anything about it at this point and I doubt that the recruiter would go to such lengths to sugarcoat it to you if it was an absolute no go. Wait and see.

Imo, you need to stop beating yourself up like this. You have a lot to give either way. Enlisting is not your only way of finding happiness and meaning in your life. If it doesn't go through, there are other ways. For now though, you have something to look forward to and you just have to wait and see. If it doesn't go through, you can cross that bridge when you get to it. Good luck.

Now there are all different types and levels of OCD. Some are more complicated than others because they are linked to other metal illnesses, and issues like alcoholism. I'm sure if it's something small and doesn't interfere with your functionality, you will be just fine. Of course there will be testing, as for anyone that joins, whether they have it or not. BUT everyone has to go through boot camp to be tested for endurance, problem solving, etc. You have to pass that in order to be accepted. So be prepared.

Thank you all for the replies. I suppose it's true that all I can do now is wait and hope for the best. This being said I feel like an idiot for mentioning anything to the recruiter. Everyone told me to lie or just not say anything and I would be fine. I know that everyone goes through BMT and tech school, and it's something I would strangely look forward to.. once you graduate BMT and tech school you're in and have accomplished something.

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    Medical records will be requested from your doctor so no point in lying.

I've heard that before but I've also know people who have anxiety/depression and were accepted into the Air Force. I asked them how and was told they only pull your medical record if you give them a reason to. Everyone told me not to say yes to any medical/psychological issues and I went right ahead and did so.

They do pull medical records and do personality tests etc.

I'd stop obsessing about OCD and stop broaching this topic with the recruiter or anyone in the military. Drop the subject. The more you harp about OCD, the less likely you'll be admitted to the Air Force. Put your best foot forward and focus on your positive attributes and what you have to offer. Stop calling attention to yourself regarding OCD and putting yourself in negative light.

You sound like a great candidate. Be more low key with your demeanor and stop being perceived as hyperactive-OCD. Calm down! You make other people nervous the more you pound it into their brains regarding your OCD. Stay quiet about OCD.

There are worse people than you such as those with a shady past, criminal records, etc.

If you want to fly, I've heard you need to have 20 / 20 vision. Some Air Force or military programs require a thorough background check and various levels of secret clearances. As long as you're clean as a whistle, don't fret! Relax and I hope you are accepted into the AF!

It doesn't matter. Any sort of lying will be found out anyway. They will be going through everything about your life so your friends advice to lie was bad. The friends who suggested you lie to the military are ones who are idiots.. The military has access to a great deal of things and you will have to sign releases to that effect as well. What they don't find out that way they will find out through their own doctors and testing. Be yourself.
    Originally Posted by Rugger937
    This being said I feel like an idiot for mentioning anything to the recruiter. Everyone told me to lie.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice