How likely am I to get accepted into the Air Force?

Rugger937

Hello,

I just turned 26 about a week ago or so and feel more miserable and lost in my life than ever. I work a fulltime job, have my own apartment, car, work out 4-6 days a week, etc... but I'm missing something. Since high school I always considered enlisting in the Air Force or the Navy and did plenty research and what not. This never happened as I went to a technical college for two years and worked different odd jobs until 3.5 half years ago when I started my current job.

In the past year or so I've seriously considering the military more and more but have had hesitations to see a recruiter. I've known plenty of people who previously served or are currently in the Air Force and they had more positive than negative things to say. Last week I finally got in touch with an Air Force recruiter and asked to meet. He got back to me almost immediately and I met with him on Friday. The recruiter seemed like a nice guy and said he was impressed with by knowledge and appreciated that I've done my research.

Here's where things get tricky: I currently have OCD and everyone I've spoken to (veteran's, or currently serving members) all told me to lie and not mention anything as OCD is supposedly an automatic disqualifier. I, being the moron I am mentioned the OCD when the recruiter asked if I had any psychological issues. I told him the truth that I'm copping and he said it shouldn't be a huge deal as he'd put in for a waiver and that's he's seen crazier things get approved. He continued on with the process, asked what kind of job I was interested in (Security Forces and he told me did SF for 8 years and loved it). The recruiter gave me my paperwork to fill out, sent me a practice ASVAB test and asked to meet me again in a week.

I'm a smaller guy.. 5'4" and about 110lbs but I'm pretty fit physically as I can run 1.5 miles in less than 12.25 minutes (13.45 is the minimum for males), I do push ups, situps and what not every day. It's my OCD that is a problem. I've been told by several different people that there are people with ADHD, sleep disorders, sickle cell disease, and other things. I don't see how OCD should be an automatic disqualifier. I feel I'd be the perfect recruit: 26, single, no children, nothing really holding me back. I'd be more than willing to lay down my life for my country and fellow comrades. Part of me feels I'd the recruiter knew right away I wouldn't make it but continued on with the process because he didn't want to ruin my hopes and dreams on the spot.

All you can do is give it a try. My husband has mental health issues including OCD and been military since 1986. The last 11 years Air Force. However, he was diagnosed long after enrolment. Years and years after.

The issue is how it can affect your ability to deploy.

However, if you are American I am not sure how your system works.

Imo, there is no point in stressing about this. It's not like you can do anything about it at this point and I doubt that the recruiter would go to such lengths to sugarcoat it to you if it was an absolute no go. Wait and see.

Imo, you need to stop beating yourself up like this. You have a lot to give either way. Enlisting is not your only way of finding happiness and meaning in your life. If it doesn't go through, there are other ways. For now though, you have something to look forward to and you just have to wait and see. If it doesn't go through, you can cross that bridge when you get to it. Good luck.

Now there are all different types and levels of OCD. Some are more complicated than others because they are linked to other metal illnesses, and issues like alcoholism. I'm sure if it's something small and doesn't interfere with your functionality, you will be just fine. Of course there will be testing, as for anyone that joins, whether they have it or not. BUT everyone has to go through boot camp to be tested for endurance, problem solving, etc. You have to pass that in order to be accepted. So be prepared.

Thank you all for the replies. I suppose it's true that all I can do now is wait and hope for the best. This being said I feel like an idiot for mentioning anything to the recruiter. Everyone told me to lie or just not say anything and I would be fine. I know that everyone goes through BMT and tech school, and it's something I would strangely look forward to.. once you graduate BMT and tech school you're in and have accomplished something.

I've heard that before but I've also know people who have anxiety/depression and were accepted into the Air Force. I asked them how and was told they only pull your medical record if you give them a reason to. Everyone told me not to say yes to any medical/psychological issues and I went right ahead and did so.

I'd stop obsessing about OCD and stop broaching this topic with the recruiter or anyone in the military. Drop the subject. The more you harp about OCD, the less likely you'll be admitted to the Air Force. Put your best foot forward and focus on your positive attributes and what you have to offer. Stop calling attention to yourself regarding OCD and putting yourself in negative light.

You sound like a great candidate. Be more low key with your demeanor and stop being perceived as hyperactive-OCD. Calm down! You make other people nervous the more you pound it into their brains regarding your OCD. Stay quiet about OCD.

There are worse people than you such as those with a shady past, criminal records, etc.

If you want to fly, I've heard you need to have 20 / 20 vision. Some Air Force or military programs require a thorough background check and various levels of secret clearances. As long as you're clean as a whistle, don't fret! Relax and I hope you are accepted into the AF! :D

It doesn't matter. Any sort of lying will be found out anyway. They will be going through everything about your life so your friends advice to lie was bad. The friends who suggested you lie to the military are ones who are idiots.. The military has access to a great deal of things and you will have to sign releases to that effect as well. What they don't find out that way they will find out through their own doctors and testing. Be yourself.

This being said I feel like an idiot for mentioning anything to the recruiter. Everyone told me to lie.

In the Canadian military ALL recruits require a security check. They want to know the address of every place you have lived. The names of your parents , they are checked out as well. If married your in-laws are also checked . Your siblings... etc etc. Sometimes it could take months to clear you.

If you've been documented with an OCD diagnosis, the DoD will find out. Especially with how modest the USAF's recruiting goals are relative to the its recruiting pool. Some folks do slip through the cracks despite having a disqualifying condition, but 9.99 times out of 10, they get found out whether due to the symptoms themselves coming to light or when records need to be referenced again for any other reason. Assuming you were able to get far enough to take your oath of enlistment after failing to disclose, you'd basically be playing Russian Roulette with every medical check in or any other reason your records would need pulling. At this point, they've probably got algorithms scanning for disqualifying terms.

I enlisted into the Army in 2004, and during BCT saw a few dudes get EPTSed for not disclosing diagnosed conditions. And in 2019, with records being much better digitized, I can only imagine how much more difficult it'd be to slip by. I wouldn't attempt to play that game. Waivers are granted, though incredibly rarely. Still, it'd be an exponentially safer bet. Talk to a recruiter about it. Though a USAF recruiter has to be god awful to be failing in his numbers enough to tell you to, if you're to lie, don't.

Also not up to date on height and weight standards, but 5'4" and 110 I can imagine is approaching both too short and too slight, if not past the point. 5'8" here, so not in any position to throw stones, but it ain't 2003 anymore. Modern USAF has always been notoriously picky, but especially now. By all means do what you gotta do to at the very least say you tried, but keep your expectations very grounded.

Also, while USAF has much better retention than Army for obvious reasons and thus it probably wouldn't be as extreme for you, enlisting at 26 likely means that pretty much at any level, you'll always be outranked by someone younger than you. Not the biggest deal, but something to consider without being taken by surprise. Lot of 20 - 22 year old dudes can be pretty big a**holes, and if your NCO happens to be one, he could easily make your life difficult, especially if he picks up on any of your OCD triggers.

Thank you all for your replies. I realize I'm small and have always been so. This being said, I've known people in the Marines and Army (both men and women) who are much smaller shorter and smaller than I am. The Marines are the best of the best physically and mentally so I have a feeling I could survive the Air Force if I put on weight work more on my pushups as running and situps (actually do Air Force situps which aren't really situps but work the flexors more than the abs but still) my strongest area. I know the Air Force isn't at all desperate for candidates and are the pickiest of all the branches. I've decided that if the Air Force doesn't work out, I'll try the navy as I've been told they're short on numbers and actually offering $40,000 sign on bonus for this reason. I'd try going for Master at Arms which is the navy equivalent of Security Forces (what I want to do in the Air Force).

• 4 weeks later...

Hello folks, I thought I'd give an update on the situation! I've since met with the recruiter four times, took my ASVAB and finally turned in all of my medical records and pharmacy records for the treatment of my OCD and mood issues. The recruiter said my stack of paper wasn't much compared to what he's seen and told me it'll take about 2-3 weeks for him to hear back from the doctors at MEPS on whether or not I'm mentally capable of serving in the Air Force. He said confidently and cheerfully that in the meantime I should simply research each job in the list he gave me that I qualified for based on my ASVAB scores and narrow my list to six choices and he'll reach out to me as soon as he hears back from MEPS. I'm feeling at ease now as I've done everything in my power and it's in God's hands now in a matter of speaking. Despite from the recruiter being professional and kind, I don't think he'd be wasting his time seeing me four separate times and scheduling my ASVAB, etc... if he didn't think I had a chance of being accepted into the Air Force. He told me he's currently working out of three different recruiting offices so I get the feeling he sees something in me considering how busy he is. Thanks for all the support and feedback!

Thanks for the replies guys! I know I'm a bit on the small size for a guy but the recruiter told me that's of no issue as long as I'm not sickly. I'm also quite strong for my size! Physically I think I'm on good shape... I'm doing pushups everyday (20-30 at a time), situps (60+ at a time), pullups (not required to pass the Air Force PT but they still make you do at least one to ensure you can at least do it.. I can do 8-10 in a row) and I can easily run 1.5 miles in 11-12 minutes and 2 miles in under 16 minutes (Air Force minimum for men is 1.5 miles in 13.45 minutes... I'm easily faster than that). I'm probably in better shape than most recruits are when they report for BMT but I do realize they gradually get you to where you need to be to pass but I still believe in doing more than the bare minimum and if/when I get in I'd like to achieve the Warhawk or Thunderbolt coin for going above and beyond in PT. I'm also putting some weight on... I'm on average about 112-116lbs now so I'm a bit bigger than before.

Archived